• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yes Chef Magazine

Hi,

Apologies if this has already been posted but I did search and could not find any references to this

‘Yes Chef Magazine’

I know some of you guys read ‘Restaurant’ magazine and I thought you might like to know about a fairly new industry magazine. The first edition was spring 2007 it is I think subscription only.

www.yeschefmagazine.com

I had not read anything about in the press and only got wind of it from my fruit & veg suppliers!

It is very glossy and whereas I would just tear out anything from ‘Restaurant’ magazine I wanted to look up/keep for reference etc I feel I might dip back into this one and hang on to it for a lot longer.

Good articles about Shaun Hill ( Life after Ludlow), Michel Bourdin ( A generation of excellence) and of course Heston ( Headlines) all very good.

Thought provokers on Food design, life after Masterchef, Knives, Ventura Martinez( who I had never heard of) the usual cookery book thing. Plus lots on ingredients, Rabbit, Morels with recipes new from the listed chefs.

One of the articles towards the end was a really interesting one about the restaurant Front Line in Paddington with Chef John Taylor, I had not read anything about that before either.

From the first edition the writers are,

Bill Buckly

Jose Butchart

Charles Campion

Sarah Jane Evans

Bill Knott

Shaun Hill

Simon Sayce

Josh Sims

Chef Contributors

Heston

Andrew Fairlie

Gary Rhodes

Alain Roux

Michael Roux & Jr

Brian Turner

Sat Bains

I would be interested to know if any of you subscribe and if so what you think

Best regards

Lorna

I glanced through a borrowed copy of the first one. It's very well laid out that's for sure with far superior photography and art direction to Restaurant Mag.

Restaurant mags success is a lot down to making chefs feel like rock stars. This one treats like them film stars.

Interesting...

S

It's written with a knife and fork, and the features are staggeringly predictable. I wish it all the best.

I glanced through a borrowed copy of the first one. It's very well laid out that's for sure with far superior photography and art direction to Restaurant Mag.

Restaurant mags success is a lot down to making chefs feel like rock stars. This one treats like them film stars.

Interesting...

S

Jay

Ooh, Jay, harsh! Can't disagree too much with you though - particularly since even one of the magazine's writers was already slagging the mag off and predicting its demise at the launch party! Some interesting features, but not sure if it will last.

IMHO only of course!

Edited by ravelda (log)

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

the features are staggeringly predictable.

Perhaps so, but we could level that accusation at more magazines/ supplements than just this one. It's not a genre known for ground-breaking ideas after all.

Isn't there a saying about how dogs shouldn't eat dogs? And about living in glass houses?

Let's give it a chance at least eh? One issue is a bit soon to judge. If the writing gets to the standard of the art direction it might surprise us yet.

S

I flicked through it at Sat Bains the other night, presumably it was there as it has a piece about him in the current issue. I though (Sat excepted) it was pretty awful, not particularly well written and nothing to make me want to look at it again.