• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Providence RI Restaurants

We were back this week and had some great cheap food (hanger steak sandwich, a big burger). I also like their Les Heretiques $5 red. But, man, the service sucked. The fact is that they're so busy they can get away with it. They were packed on Monday at 7.

:angry:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Just had a great meal at New Rivers last night. Highlights were a carrot and ginger tortacelli with sunchokes and sausage. All of the flavors and textures in the dish mingled together perfectly. This was on the "lighter fare" portion of the menu.

Also, the desert I had was a pistachio ice cream with a apricot compote and a black sesame tuile/sugar cookie. Really interesting and unique combo of flavors. Was excellent.

It was my favorite meal there so far, I've been there 3 times, partially due to the fact that it wasn't completely packed. It was very nice to go there on a monday night, and the restaurant still was bustling with people.

Any news on the restaurant that supposedly occupied the old Empire space for a few weeks, I guess it was called Bravo? I heard through the grapevine that it was only open for three weeks :huh: ? My source of this info was biased, so I figured that I would do some digging........

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

Bravo Brasserie (123 Empire St., Providence, 490-5112) is still open -- just called to check. My partner said it was mediocre, but, then again, it's name is "Bravo," so I don't think we're expecting too much more than noshes for the pre- and post-dinner crowd. They're doing lunch, clearly, too.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

I just had dim sum this weekend at Lucky Garden and it was excellent.  And very cheap, our meal came out to be $10 per person.  Our favorite dishes were the various dumplings (pork and vegetable) and the sesame balls. 

I also want to second previous comments about New Rivers.  If i want to have a nice meal in Providence, New Rivers is the place I go. 

Next I'm going to try exploring some of the mexican places in Central Falls and surrounding area, if anyone has any suggestions.

Erin,

We drive to Providence every two months and so far have limited our dinner selections to New Rivers , Rue De L'espoir and Haruki as they have consistently given us very good dining experiences. We like Rue a lot as it is less than 5 minutes walking distance from daughter. What is your experince with Rue De L'espoir? Where is Lucky Garden? We may go there for brunch this weekend as recommended.

Thank you,

Cirilo

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."

Popular Science, 1891

Lucky Garden is on Rt 44/Smith Street in North Providence, in a small strip mall at the base of a hill. If you hit Salvation Army on your way north, you've gone too far! It's worth the trip, trust me; click here for a meal there during my foodblog.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

CiriloE, I have not been to Rue. I actually pick up take out Thai quite a bit from Sawaddee, right near there.

I've checked out the menu while I've walked by, and it hasn't been compelling enough for me to go.

The one place I haven't tried in Providence that I really do want to try is Chez Pascal. Has anyone been recently?

Has anyone tried Kartabar on Thayer Street? I haven't been in some time. While I liked the atmosphere -- and the place was jammed, I was a little wary that the prices were so low. I know that can be considered a good thing, but I wondered about the quality of the food. Anyone have experience at this place, and would you recommend it? What's the reputation?

• 2 weeks later...
New Rivers

7 Steeple Street

401-751-0350

Edited to add website:  http://www.newriversrestaurant.com/index.html

Unfortunately, on one of my rare visits to RI a couple years ago, a meal at New Rivers was a massive disappointment. My expectations were very high (not unreasonable given the accolades this place gets) and they were pretty much dashed. Mrs. Bob got a steak that was riddled with fat, and I got a fish dish from the "Lighter Side" section of the menu that might have qualified for the "lighter side" of the menu at a place in downtown Addis Ababa. Three bites if that.

We both left starving. Thank god for my favorite weiner joint -- NY System up on Smith St just past the State House.

This was one of the rare cases in which my usual thorough research utterly failed -- and in my home town at that. :angry:

• 1 month later...
I've never been, so I think we'll need a full report, Bob!

Chris: I will be pleased to take on this assignment. I hope I didn't miss out too much by not knowing about Stanleyburgers back in the days when I needed some greasy food to absorb excess amounts of very cheap alcohol.

Not that Haven Brothers and NY System weiners didn't do the trick... :raz:

Heading to Pawtucket next Sunday for a game - have been urged to try Mad House Cafe - has anyone been?

Otherwise - can someone mention a great brunch spot in either Providence or Pawtucket that will be open on Sunday? Thanks!

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

Heading to Pawtucket next Sunday for a game - have been urged to try Mad House Cafe - has anyone been? 

Otherwise - can someone mention a great brunch spot in either Providence or Pawtucket that will be open on Sunday?  Thanks!

Gini: The Modern Diner on East Ave in Pawtucket is supposed to have a great brunch. I'll actually be going next Saturday for the first time when I make a visit to RI.

It's very close to McCoy Stadium too -- just cross the Division St. Bridge and you'll be there in a few minutes.

But Mad House certainly looks good too -- the ProJo certainly liked it. And kudos to them for opening a restaurant in downtown Pawtucket. My family ran a very popular restaurant on Main St. in downtown Pawtucket called the Windsor Grill from the '20s through the '60s. It burned down a couple years after my uncle died in '65 and his widow sold it to someone else. And since the '60s, the ONLY decent restaurant to open downtown and stick around has been the China Inn.

I was going to suggest Modern Diner, too -- and, of course, dim sum at Lucky Garden in North Providence. :wink:

Oh god I love dim sum - is it cart style or do you order off the menu? How does it compare to NYC and Boston dim sum (Boston's being inferior)?

Edited by gini (log)
Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

I was going to suggest Modern Diner, too -- and, of course, dim sum at Lucky Garden in North Providence. :wink:

Oh god I love dim sum - is it cart style or do you order off the menu? How does it compare to NYC and Boston dim sum (Boston's being inferior)?

You order off the menu, and Lucky Garden is absolutely superior to anything you can get in Boston. Hands down, no contest. It's comparable to, if not better than, the best dim sum I've had in New York, greater LA, and London.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Hi all: I've scanned the other threads, but I have a couple of specific requests for info:

I've heard Providence is the home of "grilled pizza". What is it, where is it best?

Where does one find good, cheap, not-fancy seafood--fried clams, lobster rolls, chowder, that kind of thing.

Thanks!

---Guy

Hi all:  I've scanned the other threads, but I have a couple of specific requests for info:

I've heard Providence is the home of "grilled pizza".  What is it, where is it best?

Where does one find good, cheap, not-fancy seafood--fried clams, lobster rolls, chowder, that kind of thing.

Thanks!

---Guy

For the cheap seafood, check out the listings and reviews on www.quahog.com. Very entertaining and informative.

I've heard Providence is the home of "grilled pizza".  What is it, where is it best?

George Germon, co-owner of Al Forno restaurant in Providence, claims credit for wood grilled pizza. Their version of pizza margarita is definitive, and happens to be one of the greatest things you can put in your mouth. They prompted a slew of imitators; many people are fans of Bob and Timmy's. However, I'd head over to Al Forno, sit at the bar, get a glass or bottle of good red wine (Kyle is a very thoughtful bartender and sommelier), and enjoy a pizza there.

All over the place! Carrie's, Horton's, and many other places have great no-frills seafood. The Providence options are less than optimal, however, so if you have a car and can take a twenty minute drive, go have clam cakes and chowder at Iggy's in Warwick on Oakland Beach (click here for a post with pix at Iggy's) -- or drive a bit further down Aquidneck Island and have the fantastic fried clams at Flo's Clam Shack in Middletown.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

The Providence options are less than optimal, however, so if you have a car and can take a twenty minute drive, go have clam cakes and chowder at Iggy's in Warwick on Oakland Beach (click here for a post with pix at Iggy's)

Chris: after seeing your photo essay on Iggy's, I'm really craving some of those clamcakes, but my dance card for next weekend is already mighty full: Sandwich Hut, the Back Eddy, Modern Diner, Stanleyburgers, Original NY System, Al Forno OR Persimmon, Rue de L'Espoir. Not to to mention a stop for pizza strips to take back to Virginia. And if it's warm enough a Del's. What's a poor RI boy to do?? :angry:

Now that I think about it for a few seconds, I could grab a half-dozen clamcakes right after I get my car at the airport, then by the time I get up to Providence I'll be ready for a Sandwich Hut grinder. There, problem solved. :biggrin:

Missing from your list but easy to add as they are fortunately open after most if not all of the other places have closed - Haven Bros. Diner which rolls up along side Providence's City Hall at 5 pm and serves burgers, dogs, fries and shakes late into the night, as they have been doing since the 1880's.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Missing from your list but easy to add as they are fortunately open after most if not all of the other places have closed - Haven Bros. Diner which rolls up along side Providence's City Hall at 5 pm and serves burgers, dogs, fries and shakes late into the night, as they have been doing since the 1880's.

Thanks Holly -- I've been a Haven Bros fan for about 30 yrs! That's back when downtown Providence was NOT hip and happening.

I will be in Providence for just two nights on this too-short visit, and Stanleyburgers and Original NY System (Smith St) will probably be my two late-night stops -- but if I'm still hungry after them Haven Bros will be the next stop!