• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Providence RI Restaurants

Sure thing. If you want something upscale/expensive, try New Rivers, Neath's, XO Steakhouse, Gracie's, Mills Tavern, or Al Forno; if you want something less expensive but still pretty good, try Parkside, 3 Steeple Street, or Pakarang. Much less expensive but great if you like a younger crowd and basic, good food is the Red Fez.

If I were choosing but not paying, I'd go to New Rivers or Al Forno -- or I'd try the new Gracie's, which is getting good reviews. If I were paying, we'd have a grilled cheese and a Boddington's or a Big House Red at Red Fez. :wink:

I'd add Cafe Nuovo to the list, maybe McCormick and Schmicks as well.

And don't forget a very important element-- reservations made earlier than you would normally make reservations!

KV

All that is needed for evil to survive is for good people to do nothing

• 2 weeks later...
Capital Grille is still here. I haven't been in years and was not impressed the two times I went long ago.

I know I'm late on this, but, I've had some very tasty (albeit somewhat pricey) meals at Bella Vista, but it's been about 2 years since the last time I dined there (Chris, have you been there recently?) It sits right above the main staging area of Waterfire and the outside seating especially, would offer a great view of the goings-on.

If you're willing to walk just a few blocks, the Trinity Brewhouse is one of our favorites for delicious microbrewed beer and reasonably priced, delicious pub food.

You say I am mysterious. Let me explain myself. In a land of oranges, I am faithful to apples. ~ Elsa Gidlow

I've never been to Bella Vista -- I've heard nothing but bad reports from there from the start, but apparently it's under new management. Trinity Brewhouse is a solid option for good local microbrews and the standard beer chow options. My wife is a big fan of their nachos, for example.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Had a light dinner at Paragon (Thayer St) the other night.  Normally, I don't venture there, but I have a friend who works at the bar, so I thought I would give it a try.  We stuck to the tapas/appetizer type menu and it was pretty decent.  Scallops with bacon in a wine sauce, shrimp with feta, tomatoes and crostini (although the bread they served was horrible), lamb (which was a little more well done than I like). 

It was a monday night so it was empty ....  The food overall was good, if you're looking for that kind of meal and you're on Thayer st, I would go, but I wouldn't go out my way to go there. 

Oh, and the desserts were average, and the portion sizes were too big.  (I know, strange.)

Just wanted to mention that my hubby and I had the most rotten service that either of us had ever recieved in our entire lives when we stopped in at Paragon for lunch in early July.

Surly slow waitress who started by giving me attitude because I wanted to order just an app and not an entree. Took forever to get the food, totally ignoring empty glasses on our tables that we would've loved to have been refilled, and when the food FINALLY arrives BOTH orders were totally wrong- both completely different meals than what we ordered (burger and thai skewers, not too difficult, eh?)

No apologies, nothing. Waited way too long for the correct food to come out and when it did the entire event made it not even worth it. I mean seriously, we thought we'd just sit at a table outside, get a drink and a bite and enjoy the sunshine and then be on our way and we were literally there for almost 2 hours.

Took forever and a day after we requested our check to get it even though she walked past our table many times. Hubby and I are normally described as being way too nice, even under these circumstances, I can't imagine what we did to incur such lousy service. Left the smallest tip we ever have and even then felt bad about it, but the waitress truly could've saved the situation with a little sympathy and perhaps a smile. I am a born and bred New Englander so I am used to the abrupt behaviour of my people, but this was totally unacceptable, especially if you are in the service industry! We've all been there.

whew! did not mean to vent, but just thought I'd give a heads up in case this is indicative of the demeanor of the entire place. We were in town for just a few hours on a beautiful Saturday and it totally ruined what had been a nice pleasant visit, and has left a somewhat sour impression of Prov.

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

Just went to Citron for lunch, in the Brewed Awakenings space down in Union Station Plaza. It's only been open for two weeks, but... blech.

First off, the menu is a disaster of major proportions. The design of the menu (including very strangely placed plus signs) makes it almost impossible to read, and obscures in particular the fantastic wine flight selection. The space itself is fine, built to accommodate the crush of after-work drinkers. The menu reads that way, too: lots of "updates" to bar food (it should be illegal to modify fried calamari in this town) with no real unifying theme.

We started with a bowl of won ton soup -- mediocre won tons in a terrible instant boullion -- and flavorless lobster and corn fritters that had what tasted like frozen corn (in August) and slim shreds of lobster. One of my companions had a roasted vegetable medley that was just a mess, and the other had a salmon filet that was, strangely, accompanied by six lonely mussels, perhaps leftover from the "experimental special" of the day.

My dish really took the cake, though. I ordered a duck confit salad that had a few potato chips, 1/4 c of frissee, and a dry, tasteless duck leg. It was so bad I'm still kind of shocked about it -- but clearly the kitchen knew how bad it was, because the server came out with a steak knife for me with which to cut it. If that isn't an acceptance of mediocrity, I don't know what is.

The manager, David, came over to ask how everything was, and... well, at least he was polite in his discussion with us. He then asked us if we wanted coffee, which we all did. We were kinda shocked to see that everything showed up on the bill, given how lousy it was.

Oh well. We'll not be back.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

I agree with Chris, blech

i expected more from John Elkhay. He should be leading the food scene here not lagging behind it. The decor of the restaurant is ok, but the food is less than insipiring. I had the salmon in a lemongrass broth- the fish was overdone and not a shred of lemongrass to be found anywhere. The waitstaff were awkward on the whole and became more so once the manager, David, had come over to inquire about our meal. The only decent thing I can say is that the cappuccino was actually quite tasty. Not worth the price of the rest of the meal, however. With other, better restaurants in this city, i wont go back either. And, unfortunately, this experience is typical at all their other restaurants under ths same owner. they hid behind gimmicks and overly designed menus while in reality the food is boring, old style and tasteless from my experience. oh well.

Edited by Tina Wright (log)

That upside down pear cake with the blue cheese has been on the Chez Pascal menu for a while. Its interesting, actually, as the taste of the dessert changes entirely depending on the type of blue cheese used. Next time you go back, you should try the scallops- Matt Gennuso, the chef, is a master with scallops. Matt just cooked at the James Beard House in NYC last week and received rave reviews from the diners and regular members. his duck confit is also quite tasty, (and doesnt require a steak knife, unlike chris's recent experience at Citron!). Chez Pascal also has an unbelievable heirloom tomato salad with a corn flan on the menu at the moment. not sure how much longer that will last but if you liked the asparagus salad you'll love this.

OK - so I'm set for my trip - still a couple of weeks away - New Rivers and La Laiterie is the plan.

I'll be there for NEBA. Though we've been in Connecticut for a dozen years, this is my first trip to Providence. Staying near the Convention Center.

Any suggestions for where to get a belt nearby?

Assuming easy access to and fro the noted restaurants. Anything else to recommend local? Edible goodies to bring home to the SO?

And where should I grab my morning cup o' joe?

And if you violently disagree with my dining plans, say so - but I've come to trust Chris (and am kinda eagerly waiting for part 2 on the DG),

Any suggestions for where to get a belt nearby? 

Trinity Brewhouse is just across from the Dunkin Donuts Center, up the street from the Convention Center. Pretty good local brews. La Laiterie has great beer, of course, and a swell wine selection.

For drinks, there are quite a few smallish bars downtown for a shot or two; we've got no Pegu Clubs in Providence. If you don't mind a musical mix that ranges from industrial to mambo to Eno, hit the Red Fez. Custom House Tavern is worth a stop, too. Finally, there are a lot of classic Providence joints in the jewelry district: check out Nobody's and Nick-a-Nee's for starters.

Assuming easy access to and fro the noted restaurants.  Anything else to recommend local?  Edible goodies to bring home to the SO?

Get to La Laiterie a bit early and you'll have your pick of charcuterie and cheese.

And where should I grab my morning cup o' joe?

Reflections on Wickenden and Governor, White Electric on Westminster, or Coffee Exchange on Wickenden near Benefit.

And if you violently disagree with my dining plans, say so - but I've come to trust Chris (and am kinda eagerly waiting for part 2 on the DG),

Thanks for the propers. I don't violently disagree, but I'd substitute Chez Pascal for New Rivers, mebbe.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Thanks for all of the advice...

We ended up going to Mill Tavern and had a really great meal...

The wife had a perfect filet mignon...i had a really flavorful roasted chicken (i know, boring)...

They had an impressive wine list - including our favorite South African chardonnay, Hamilton-Russell...

And it was literally a hop, skip, and a jump to waterfire...where we quickly found a seat and enjoyed the night.

Thanks again!

I think Tina's need for disclosure is making her a bit restrained! Drew Shotts of Garrison Confections is a world-class chocolatier, and we're grateful to have him here!

Seven Stars for bread and Garrison for chocolate: don't need much else!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

XO Cafe

I have some major catching up to do on here. My better half and I have been doing quite a bit of dining out lately. My review of La Laiterie is forthcoming. Right now a little review of our recent dinner at XO Cafe. Whenever we decide to go out to Providence for dinner XO always comes up as a possibility. We usually have a great experience there. It's pricey but usually well worth it.

We arrived at 8:30ish. A few minutes after our reservations (we called to let them know we were running behind.) Our table wasn't ready so we sat at the bar for a drink. Julie had a "Flirting with style" (Stoli Razberi, Cointreau, Pineapple, Cranberry,Champagne, Fresh Raspberries) and I had a glass of Mirassou Pinot Noir. Her drink was tasty as usual. Their specialty drinks are never less than fantastic. We finished our drinks and headed into the other dining room.

For appetizers We got the goat cheese tart ( we fight over who gets to order this every time we come here) and the lobster won tons. The won tons were really good. Very crispy with a wonderful smooth filling. The mango dipping sauce was a nice touch although I preferred my won tons straight up :biggrin:

The goat cheese tart was ... ok. Not up to the usual standard. I'm not sure if they changed cheeses or what but it had very little body to it. It tasted fine and the figs were PERFECT but the consistency of the cheese wasn't so hot. A little runny. Having said that, I'd still order it as a starter next time I go back.

Julie got the XO Filet as her dinner. How could you possibly go wrong with a 10 oz Filet with seared sea scallops on top? Cooked perfectly as usual and served with the best asparagus you've ever tasted.

For my entree I got the slow cooked short ribs with garlic mashed and wasabi onion rings. This ribs were the only really bad part of the whole meal. I understand short ribs are fatty but this was truly unacceptable. There was a piece of fat on my plate that was 1/3 the size of the entire portion of ribs. I couldn't believe they actually put it on the plate. Now anyone that has ever been to XO knows that the portion sizes are very generous. If they had just left that off the plate I would have been pretty happy with the meal and satisfied with the size of it. But they didn't, and it took away from the entire dish. When the server asked how everything was, I politely told him my issue. To his credit, he went out of his way to find a way to make it right. He offered to have them make me another meal, more ribs or anything else I may want. I was fine just finishing what I had. In fact the only reason I mentioned it to him at all was because if I were running the kitchen, I'd want to know. I'd hate to have someone leave unhappy and tell others of my bad experience. I've had too many good experiences at XO to let that ruin my evening. In the end, they bought me desert for my trouble.

After a short break our deserts arrived. I had the hot molten chocolate cake with coconut ice cream. Are you kidding me?? If there was ever a better ending to a meal I haven't had it. It was just delicious. The cake is rich with a warm creamy interior. I could eat that coconut ice cream by the gallon. Julie had the trio of crème brulees. They were coconut, vanilla and Thai chili. She loved all three but the Thai Chili was her favorite. She said it tasted almost smokey with hints of espresso. She said it had a bit of heat in the finish. Really interesting and creative desert.

As usual, the service was excellent. I feel like the server handled the issue with my entree very professionally. Overall the experience was a tad short of what we're accustomed to at XO but still a very good experience.

and if you are looking for edible goodies to take home, i have to give my husbands company a plug, sorry- garrison confections at 815 hope street. best chocolate around.

Soooooo good. My girlfriend is heading to GC on her way home from work tonight. We're doing the wine, cheese and chocolate thing tonight. Unfortunately Farmstead is closed so we'll be getting the cheese from Whole foods (which still isn't bad at all)

I think Tina's need for disclosure is making her a bit restrained! Drew Shotts of Garrison Confections is a world-class chocolatier, and we're grateful to have him here!

Seven Stars for bread and Garrison for chocolate: don't need much else!

Seconded!

KV

If you're willing to go to Seven Stars, why not truck out to the Modern Diner on Hope (well, East, past Blackstone) for a little bit of lobster benedict? Rather a lifechanging experience. I'd also highly recommend Brickway on Wickenden for, well, everything. Loui's on Brook is classic greasy spoon stuff, with the cheapest breakfast I've seen outside of the Midwest. Any other favorites for breakfast? How does CAV stack up?

My girlfriend loved XO Cafe, and we have plans to go, probably next weekend or the week after.

What's the general consensus on Haruki (East or otherwise) vs. New Japan (on Washington, near Cuban Revolution)? I've always leaned towards New Japan, with its quiet feel, excellent service, and fantastic fish. The chopstick cabinet for regulars seals the deal on the atmosphere. Haruki was good, but I find gold leaf unsettling as a garnish.

What's the general consensus on ... New Japan (on Washington, near Cuban Revolution)?  .....

One trip to the rest room (through the kitchen!) cured me from desiring to go to New Japan... your call.

KV

I'd also highly recommend Brickway on Wickenden for, well, everything.

Boy, given that I'd recommend it for nothing, I'd love to know what you like about the place. My daughter is insisting we go there tomorrow for our blended family first-day-of-school breakfast; five'll give you ten that it's still lousy.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory