• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I want some damn Munchos, now

Fat Guy

I tried the plain version and liked them a lot. They felt a bit "dryer" to me than Munchos. Was the barbeque smoky? Maybe xext time I go down there I'll give it a shot.   :biggrin:

There is a bit of smoke flavor, but I find the smack of umami even stronger. Both 'Torula Yeast' and 'Yeast Extract' are in the barbecue seasoning on the label. ('Natural Smoke Flavor' follows.) Also, a tad sweeter than I'd like.

Next step: try the Salt & Pepper variety, but that will have to wait due to travel plans.

I tried the Salt and Vinegar the other day, and was hooked. Told the fiance to pick up a big bag at Costco today. Can't wait to try the Salt and Pepper.

The very sad thing is that as soon as I tried them, I thought of this thread and couldn't wait to post on the similarity to Munchos.

• 1 month later...

This morning in a PMS haze I reached for the bag of Munchos I KNEW were stashed under the counter for just this occasion. My 7 yo had opened them at some point this week and didn't put them in a ZipLock. Normally, this would be an exectutable offense, but I exercised discretion, let her live, and threw them in the oven on "warm", onto a perforated tin "pizza pan" I used to make garlic bread on last night by (I know, heresy) using garlic and onion POWDER. Which remained on the pan which didn't get washed because it was hot and I left it in there to cool. What I got coming out were warm, oniony, garlicy Munchos, and I hurriedly matched them with an ice cold Root Beer. I wallowed like a pig.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

• 3 months later...

Isn't it amazing they have brought Munchos back? For years now I've been stopping the Frito-Lay person when I see them in the chip aisle to ask for Munchos. Many have told me they don't even know what they are. Others said they've been discontinued. But that has all changed in the last year. Now I find not just small bags but the big bags, and they are only $2 each! That price is imprinted on the actual bag design so it's not going away. What a deal! Now if someone would just bring back Zima...

Lobster.