• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I want some damn Munchos, now

Fat Guy

I don't "get" Munchos.

I've tried them before and because of this discussion, I tried them again. I must be lacking something in my genes because they just taste like potato air to me.

Phew... I was starting to get worried that I was the only one. I had never had a muncho until a few minutes ago, and I must admit to being underwhelmed. Maybe it's due to the lavish praise heaped upon them in this thread, but I'd much prefer some Doritos (nacho cheese, of course... the only true Dorito).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Ah Munchos. I really do have to chime in here because Munchos have been a part of my lives for as long as I've known Fat Guy.

While I am not a potato chip person (you'll find me at the candy counter), the occasional Muncho is a pleasant treat. I think I like them for the exact reason that some of you don't--they're not the same as potato chips--and yet they are potato-y and salty and light and fluffy while still providing that satisfying crunch with every bite.

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

Not many people know that Munchos (aka: Мунчос) were originally developed by Peter Carl Fabergé as the perfect caviar delivery vehicle for exclusive use by the Tsars of Russia. In 1897, it took 237 serfs to make one Muncho.

--

Ah Munchos. I really do have to chime in here because Munchos have been a part of my lives for as long as I've known Fat Guy.

While I am not a potato chip person (you'll find me at the candy counter), the occasional Muncho is a pleasant treat. I think I like them for the exact reason that some of you don't--they're not the same as potato chips--and yet they are potato-y and salty and light and fluffy while still providing that satisfying crunch with every bite.

Hi Ellen!

Ah yes, crunchy potato air. :raz: I eat it and it's like I haven't eaten anything. I've gone through the motions but my junk food craving soul is not satisfied.

I wonder if it's an east coast thing then. They were around when I was growing up so I am familiar with the chip but they never made my Top 10.

We had: Ruffles have ridges....Lays Potato Chips (betcha can't eat just one) and even Granny Goose. There was also Bell Brand but I think that was a local brand. Fritos were THE chip to eat but since they're not a potato chip (technically speaking, Munchos aren't either), I'll leave them out of the discussion.

That's fine. I'll be in the minority in this discussion. Even if you're all off your junk food rockers. :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I wonder if it's an east coast thing then. They were around when I was growing up so I am familiar with the chip but they never made my Top 10.

Nope. I'm far from the east coast but I'm a big fan. Even with Old Dutch, we are lucky enough to have munchos here. You just have to do a little searching to find them.

They used to have a similar chip in Israel - I think they were called Mocks. Macks? Anybody know what I'm talking about?

And to think that all these years I thought I was the only Muncho fan anywhere and that is why they fell out of favor! They were readily available growing up in California but no longer. I haven't seen a full size bag in 10 years or so. In fact, Muncho hunting is a great excuse for a road trip...the only places I ever encounter them anymore are obscure truck stops in the middle of nowhere (snack size only!).

Lobster.

An east coast thing they are not.You can find them in Michigan.

Munchos remind me of my Catholic School "hot lunch" where the chip selection consisted of Munchos, Funyuns, and Sour Cream Bettermade Potato Chips. Munchos were the perfect accompaniment to the soggy bunned steamed hotdogs.

And to think that all these years I thought I was the only Muncho fan anywhere and that is why they fell out of favor!  They were readily available growing up in California but no longer.  I haven't seen a full size bag in 10 years or so.  In fact, Muncho hunting is a great excuse for a road trip...the only places I ever encounter them anymore are obscure truck stops in the middle of nowhere (snack size only!).

Funny you should mention that! When we drive north through Westchester, we pass a gas station that has never failed to have Munchos in stock. Needless to say, I am always suspicious of Fat Guy when he casually suggests a trip in that direction with no particular destination in mind!

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

Munchos sighting on the Left Coast of Canuckland today: Mac's at Broadway and Hemlock in Vancouver has 'em... two fewer bags of 'em, actually (snack size only, left of door on end of small rack -- you gotta work for your Munchos).

• 3 months later...

Basking in post-Munchos glow courtesy of 7-11 at Broadway and Oak in Vancouver last night. Is it possible they have added even more salty goodness since my last bag??

edited to fix stealth-typing related spelling error ('ware egulleting at meetings!)

Edited by grayelf (log)

I almost feel bad saying this, they have them in the vending machine at my work. I never tried them. But I will now...

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I almost feel bad saying this, they have them in the vending machine at my work. I never tried them. But I will now...

Hmm, vaccillating between jealousy and fear for your heart health with the coveted crispy morsels so easy to access :laugh:

Check the exp. date before you buy them; they are not a traditionally fast seller and the vending machine guys are notorious for leaving stuff past its' prime!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Check the exp. date before you buy them; they are not a traditionally fast seller and the vending machine guys are notorious for leaving stuff past its' prime!

Oh oh, I hope that's not why mine tasted so good :unsure:

Oh oh, I hope that's not why mine tasted so good :unsure:

Unless you are defining "slightly rancid" as "good" then I highly doubt it! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 1 month later...

Continuing a personal trend of being unwillingly influenced by the subjects of threads herein, I found myself glancing at the chip section in a gas station convenience store last week - just out of curiosity, mind you. Of course, right at the bottom (and in shadow, hard to find unless you stooped) were 3 $0.99 bags of Munchos, on of which came home with me to sample.

Impressions: Salty. Not much substance, but still potato-y. Lots of umami (turning the package over for an ingredient inspection, I was pleased at the short ingredient list, with - no surprise - nutritional yeast at the end). Overall, underwhelming, but I'm glad for having tried.

The SO tried them as well. Her first reaction: "Bleh!" A minute later, I wanted to know why she was battling me for the rest of the bag. They are somehow not-all-that-awesome, yet still the urge remains to finish the bag as soon as possible

Tonight, at a different convenience store, I saw that the larger bags were in stock. Suppose it's sad to not be a Muncho lover, yet still have multiple ready sources under a mile away.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

At Trader Joe's last night, I grabbed a new product on impulse - "Barbecue Popped Potato Chips". (Salt & Pepper was also available.) To my surprise: feels/tastes like Munchos, only better (barbecue!). It makes one wonder if perhaps others have felt the pain of loss of barbecue Munchos. (I can't speak to precise similarities, as I've only had plain Munchos and said popped chips in barbecue.)

gallery_52429_5816_474391.jpg

You'll notice the shape is a bit more like Soy Crisps than Munchos, but the lightness, mouthfeel, and wallop of umami forefront in the taste profile are all similar.

Anyone else tried these? Favorable/unfavorable comparisons to your beloved Munchos?

David aka "DCP"

I tried the plain version and liked them a lot. They felt a bit "dryer" to me than Munchos. Was the barbeque smoky? Maybe xext time I go down there I'll give it a shot. :biggrin:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

I tried the plain version and liked them a lot. They felt a bit "dryer" to me than Munchos. Was the barbeque smoky? Maybe xext time I go down there I'll give it a shot.  :biggrin:

There is a bit of smoke flavor, but I find the smack of umami even stronger. Both 'Torula Yeast' and 'Yeast Extract' are in the barbecue seasoning on the label. ('Natural Smoke Flavor' follows.) Also, a tad sweeter than I'd like.

Next step: try the Salt & Pepper variety, but that will have to wait due to travel plans.

David aka "DCP"

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I love Munchos - always have to have a back up bag stocked for when a craving hits. These chips remind me sooo much of junior high and highschool...i got a bag at school every day back then (snack size bag....i.e. 3 servings per bag....all eaten at once). Now I get thge BIG bags.....they last a week sometimes....sometimes only a day if I am feeling like feasting ina salty junk food coma mess....loved em' then, still love em' today. Not every day like I used to when I was in my teens....but still quite often.

I would choose Munchos ANY day over lays or other varieties of potato chips!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in New York for several days, and wandered over to the nearest Duane Reade yesterday for some water and other things.

The very first thing I saw, was a big display of munchos. Well gee, since I'm here for a while, I had to buy a bag, or two, or......

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.