• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I want some damn Munchos, now

Fat Guy

Did you dunk the chips in the ice cream....I like to dunk pretzle sticks in chocolate ice cream

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

After your post, FG, I all of a sudden had a craving for Munchos as well. Love 'em. Was about to pick those up for my train ride back into Manhattan, and then saw Veggie Chips at Duane Reade. I decided to try them - and they have that same melt in your mouth feeling that Munchos has.

Don't get me wrong - I love the Munchos. But Veggie Chips is a good substitute.

Veggie Chip

Did you dunk the chips in the ice cream...

No, it was a two-course meal.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

FG - You should come to Montreal! Aside from being 'hot' in the foodie world, it's also what I coming to believe is the Munchos Capital Of The World!

Ever since you started this thread I've been noticing Munchos EVERYWHERE... which is weird since other Canadian posters have said they can't find them. There's even an empty bag that's been kicking around the parking lot of the factory where I work for at least a week now!

You may also be interested to learn that Quebecers have a really interesting / bizarre relationship to their potato chips. We get the most bizarre limited edition flavors - BBQ Chicken anyone? But I guess that's a discussion for a whole other thread!

Ever since you started this thread I've been noticing Munchos EVERYWHERE... which is weird since other Canadian posters have said they can't find them.

I picked up a bag at a Shell station in Winnipeg on my way out of town last night. Who knew? I almost wish I didn't . .

• 2 months later...
The receptionist at the clinic today was eating a bag of Munchos so it gave me the opportunity to try one. 

They taste a lot like shrimp chips.  I think I'd better stop after that one taste, or I might develop an addiction.

I picked up a bag at a gas station in North Dakota a couple of weeks ago. I thought they were kind of like shrimp chips, too. My mother ate most of them on the ride back to Winnipeg, but I didn't like them as much as she did. I like more substance in a chip.

I had the 27-ounce burger at Fat Mo's in 1998 and I still feel sick.

Munchos are the best vehicle for caviar. Better than blinis, better than black bread, better than a mother-of-pearl spoon. Give me a bag of Munchos, a couple of hundred grams of Iranian golden Osetra caviar and a bottle of Heidsieck Monopole Diamant Rose 1998 and leave me alone.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm saddened to report that I bought a bag of Munchos that was disappointing. I buy them from time to time (love them; don't want them around all the time) and have always, until now, been delighted. But not only was this bag filled with mostly small, broken pieces, but there was actually a bad Muncho in the bag. It seemed to have missed the "puffing up" step or something -- it was hard and tough and entirely un-Muncho-like. it wasn't enough to warrant reporting the bag, but I feel as if my universe has changed.

Well I too have yet to taste Munchos, but I have had dreams featuring the Taj Mahal and Lauren Graham, although not at the same time.

This link says:

these chips have air pockets in them, so if you stick them on your tongue you can actually bond the chip with your tongue

Bond? Can any of the "users" out there verify this?

Steve, one million kilograms is only 46 keel (a unit based on a flat-bottomed barge used especially on the Tyne to carry coal) I love this site.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I just started student teaching at the beginning of this school year (End of August here in Chicago) for a fourth grade CPS (as in Chicago Public Schools) classroom...after spending a year in full time (in other words, no full time job....yup yup I am broke now!) graduate school pursuing my masters in Elementary Ed....

Okay most of that blabbing was pointless...sorry about that - back to the point.

after what has been about 3.5 weeks in a small classroom (no air conditioning, no air circulation, etc) filled with 29 cute, albeit germ infested, little-ones, I came down with the flu a few days ago. I actually had a student throw up on me as I was bringing her to the bathroom (she was feeling sick). I spent the past 2 days throwing up, gagging after I could no longer throw up, stuck in bed, unable to sleep, yadi-yadi-yadi...

I have learned that NO amount of washing my hands, using Purel hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, etc....can protect myself from the germs!

The moment I felt better (as in this morning) I wanted one thing, and one thing only (well...maybe a few things, but I started with..........) MUNCHOS!!!

So so good. I ran to the store (the far store, that is the one that carries...at least usually carries, Munchos - I still have yet to figure out why ALL of the stores do not carry, and more importantly keep enough so that they are always stocked, or at least usually stocked) to buy a bag....once there i decided I needed 3 bags (snack size - three servings per bag I think). I ate two within 35 mins. The last bag is for a rainy day (or later tonight). MMMMM - Munchos and flavor-ice Popsicles were the top things on my list of "I must eat RIGHT now" list.

Hey, I did loose 4 pounds from tossing my cookies and not eating....so what if it's water weight :)

I

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Interesting Muncho facts. From the ever-reliable Wikipedia, this uncited claim:

Due to the high production costs, advertising and prolific commercial distribution of Munchos is limited, if not nonexistent.

Amazon lists Munchos in their "Gourmet Food" section.

Compared to other Frito-Lays products like LAY'S STAX® Cheddar Flavored Potato Crisps, checking in with 37 ingredients, Muchos are practically health food. Hell, they contain six all-natural ingredients, including yeast. They cannot, however, be used in any salads, as that's Doritos territory.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

after what has been about 3.5 weeks in a small classroom (no air conditioning, no air circulation, etc) filled with 29 cute, albeit germ infested, little-ones, I came down with the flu a few days ago. I actually had a student throw up on me as I was bringing her to the bathroom (she was feeling sick). I spent the past 2 days throwing up, gagging after I could no longer throw up, stuck in bed, unable to sleep, yadi-yadi-yadi...

I have learned that NO amount of washing my hands, using Purel hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, etc....can protect myself from the germs!

Lindsay Ann, I have one word for you ... "Airborne"! Invented by a teacher(!) who was tired of getting sick from being around her kids. It's GREAT! HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I actually had a student throw up on me as I was bringing her to the bathroom (she was feeling sick)

LA, surely you knew this is an occupational hazard. . .

Hey, I did loose 4 pounds from tossing my cookies

Such a lovely euphemism for such an unpleasant event.

I will consider Munchos as a convalescent snack - right up there with chicken soup and Melba toast.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Judiu - I will add Airborne to my shopping list - I have heard of it...but for some reason it never crossed my mind to try it (with so many products out there you never know which ones are legitimate and work, and which are full of....ugh....B.S, per-say? Haha. Thanks for the insider tip!

Peter the Eater - yes yes I knew this was an occupational hazard. What I didn't know, nor expect, was that that hazard would take its toll on my in my second week of teaching in the classroom. The teacher I am with is a teacher of 9 years, and it has never happened to her. In her classroom - yes...on her? Not yet. Figures, hehe.

I don't think I coulda eaten the Munchos while I was sick...but the secondI stated to feel like myself again...definitely then!!!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't "get" Munchos.

I've tried them before and because of this discussion, I tried them again. I must be lacking something in my genes because they just taste like potato air to me. They have no substance. They're almost ethereal.

Give me a chip with a crunchy thickness to it instead of Muncho wispiness (or is that wimpyness? :laugh: ).

Sorry if these are fightin' words, but with Munchos there's just no there there.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

they just taste like potato air to me. They have no substance. They're almost ethereal.

Exactly!

I don't know about "bond"...but they totally stick to your tongue a little if you lick 'em right. :laugh:

Munchos out of the vending machine were so the thing to eat for lunch when I was in middle school. :laugh: All the cool kids ate munchos for lunch!

They're really tasty! But I don't understand how you all eat so many at once! I can't eat more than one of those single serving bags without feeling like my tongue's been burnt from all the salt. So I don't eat them often...like warheads candy, right? Really tasty, in a childhood sort of way, but it hurts so bad afterwards!

Bagel?

Munchos. Are they only an 'East Coast' thing?

I love the odd potato crisps. But, I only eat them when I really crave salt ..otherwise, they taste like a 'salt lick' to me.

I'm "fortunate" that our vending company keeps Munchos in supply at my work.

FatGuy .. if you need a source in Central PA, I'm willing to mail a box or two to you. :cool:

Munchos.  Are they only an 'East Coast' thing? 

I love the odd potato crisps.  But, I only eat them when I really crave salt ..otherwise, they taste like a 'salt lick' to me.

I'm "fortunate" that our vending company keeps Munchos in supply at my work. 

FatGuy .. if you need a source in Central PA, I'm willing to mail a box or two to you.  :cool:

Someone said upthread that Munchos are harder to find in western Canada because of the Old Dutch (another chip brand) market share. Sounds plausible to me. Occasionally Munchos will turn up, in all places, at my local Shopper's Drug Mart. At which point a Munchos Massacre ensues. Then they disappear, seemingly indefinitely. Which is perhaps just as well.