• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I want some damn Munchos, now

Fat Guy

There is definitely some cosmic connection between Munchos and Funyuns. For example, I was talking to the Yogi Gupta about this. He said that, when BBQ Munchos were discontinued, Wasabi Funyuns restored balance to the universe. Funyuns, however, are not Munchos. Neither are Bugles or anything else. Munchos are sui generis. A Munchos craving cannot be addressed by any other food. Believe me, I've tried.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I was just out walking a dog and he seemed to sense a disturbance in the Force. I looked around and noticed a Frito-Lay truck parked out front of the Patrick Murphy Market. I'm going to investigate shortly.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The Frito-Lay rack at the Patrick Murphy Market has been re-stocked with Munchos.

The Frito-Lay rack at the Patrick Murphy Market has been re-stocked with Munchos.

And all is right with the world once again. :laugh:

edited to add: have you thought about "befriending" the Frito-Lay truck driver? Perhaps slip them a bribe to keep your Munchos-wheels greased?

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I looked up Munchos. I don't think I've ever seen them in my part of Canada. I will try a bag when in in the US this summer.

As an aside, I like how on the taquitos.net site, there are links to weight loss sites on every page.... :huh:

have you thought about "befriending" the Frito-Lay truck driver?

Thought about it? I've had dreams about it. In one dream, the Frito-Lay guy is the warden of the prison where my brother is being held. He looks like Stacy Keach and together we build a scale model of the Taj Mahal out of Munchos, but it never gets finished because I keep eating the Munchos and, while I'm being a glutton, my brother is executed. In another dream, the Frito-Lay guy is Lauren Graham from Gilmore Girls, has a perfectly preserved collection of BBQ Munchos from the 1990s and begs me to eat BBQ Munchos and mint chocolate chip ice cream off her body while she croons "I will always love you" over a karaoke track. But a real-life relationship is impractical. It's not always the same delivery guy, and he probably has no more control over it than he does over the weather.

There is a FritoLay plant out of sight from the highway but just off of I-395 that we pass on our way to Framingham, MA for our Trader Joes and Whole Foods excursions. When I lower the window at just the right time I can catch the aroma of fried snacks. As I sampled Munchos for the first time today, the first thing that went through my mind was that they taste just like that 'purfume'. I can envision Deb rolling her eyes at me as I lower the window and take big sniffs searching for that aroma, as I type!

Hanging head in shame, I'm wondering just what a muncho is?  (slinking off to a corner to do penance)

I looked up Munchos.  I don't think I've ever seen them in my part of Canada.  I will try a bag when in in the US this summer.

As an aside, I like how on the taquitos.net site, there are links to weight loss sites on every page.... :huh:

Ladies. There is a gas station on the US side of the border on HWY #59. They have them.

They are highly addictive and on one hand I'm thankful that they are incredibly hard to find here. On the other hand, it makes me sad.

This thread is making me so nostalgic. Munchos were one of my favorite childhood snacks - and already, I will dare to add, something of an unpredictable rarity. Funyuns were a great, late discovery. Onions were considered exotic in my family (which reminds me of the time as a college student home for a break I wanted to cook for my family and asked my father to pick up an onion at the grocery store; he came back with a head of garlic! But that's another story.)

But my most favorite, and often hard to find (especially the little tiny packages, otherwise, like Fat Guy, I would just eat the whole big bag) were Dipsy Doodles. Corn chip heaven! (I loathe the oversalty, gross Frito.)

Alas, none of that 'round these parts...

So how many did you buy?

I just checked our snack machine. Damn, no Munchos. :angry:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Ladies. There is a gas station on the US side of the border on HWY #59.  They have them. 

Darn! I never go down 59. When I go to the States, I always take 42. Pehaps the little gas station just south of the border on 42 has some, too!

You can find them if you take #29 (Pembina) as well. I can't recall where, but they are in stores in ND/MN. They're just a great "Welcome to the USofA" snack. :wink: In the city, I've seen them at Shoppers Drug Mart on Keewatin - but that's a few years ago. I'll check my local SDM next time I'm in. (I love them, but I really try NOT to find them - if you know what I mean.)

Darn!  I never go down 59.  When I go to the States, I always take 42.  Pehaps the little gas station just south of the border on 42 has some, too!

You can find them if you take #29 (Pembina) as well. I can't recall where, but they are in stores in ND/MN. They're just a great "Welcome to the USofA" snack. :wink: In the city, I've seen them at Shoppers Drug Mart on Keewatin - but that's a few years ago. I'll check my local SDM next time I'm in. (I love them, but I really try NOT to find them - if you know what I mean.)

42 is the Canadian end, 29 is the US end of the same highway.

I went to the Canadian website, and Frito-Lay seems to have Munchos in Canada, but it's a minor product, but they suggest emailing to find where in your area your favourite products can be found! To mail or not to mail...:biggrin:

So how many did you buy?

One.

Of course, I just had to buy a bag of these today. Damn. But I still miss the BBQ.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Of course, I just had to buy a bag of these today. Damn.  But I still miss the BBQ.

Me too. I bought the large bag, and somehow managed not to eat the whole thing

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

The receptionist at the clinic today was eating a bag of Munchos so it gave me the opportunity to try one.

They taste a lot like shrimp chips. I think I'd better stop after that one taste, or I might develop an addiction.

They're not an exact match (IIRC - I've only had Munchos once), but the TGI Friday's brand "Potato Skins" chips have a very a similar texture. Unfortunately the vending machine at work only has the bacon and cheddar variety, and the fake bacon is fairly unappealing (unless I'm having a very certain, hormonally induced craving).

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Damn you, Fat Guy, damn you! :laugh:

I have eaten more Munchos since you posted this thread than I have in the whole year previous. You helped kick in my Snack Obsessive Disorder.

You want to die of love? Eat them with caramelized onion dip.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

For breakfast I had Munchos and Ciao Bella mint chocolate chip gelato. It was the greatest meal of my life at a non-Ducasse restaurant.