• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I want some damn Munchos, now

Fat Guy

I assume we are all in agreement that Munchos are the greatest snack food in the universe, so let me move on to the issue at hand: they're damn near impossible to find.

I love Munchos so much that I can't keep a bag in the house. Given access to an unlimited supply of Munchos, I'd simply eat them until I exploded, like a goldfish. I'd weigh double my current weight of one million kilograms (I use metric so Americans will have trouble figuring out how much I really weigh).

So my approach to good eating is to use Munchos as an occasional treat, by setting up a system of rules that makes it somewhat difficult to acquire them. I won't buy a full-size bag. I'll only buy the individual bags. If I'm doing well that day, I may even be able to make the individual bag last a couple of days. I try to do this at most once every week or two.

I'm aided in this plan by the limited inventory of Munchos in my neighborhood, the tiny hamlet of Carnegie Hill in Manhattan. The place I usually go is the Patrick Murphy Market on Madison Avenue between 92nd and 93rd. It is of course owned by Koreans. Anyway, the nice thing from a nutrition perspective is that the Patrick Murphy Market only has Munchos about 25% of the time. I've tried to figure out why, and have been told by the owner, "A guy brings the chips and stocks the shelf; sometimes he brings Munchos, sometimes he doesn't."

Usually, if I can't get Munchos at the Patrick Murphy Market, I take it as a sign and I turn back, vowing to eat Munchos another day. But there has been an incredibly long dry spell at the Patrick Murphy Market, as happens every year or so -- I think it has been almost two months since Munchos graced the Frito-Lay rack at the Patrick Murphy Market (from a distance, by the way, the reddish SunChips "Harvest Cheddar" package looks very similar in color to the orangeish Munchos package, leading to many instances of dashed hopes.).

In such a scenario, I fall back on plan B: a little market on Lexington Avenue between 92nd and 93rd. I don't even know its name. The strange thing about this market is that it is adjacent to a smaller market that sells many of the same products, and it's hard to tell where one ends and the other begins -- I'm always opening the door to the wrong place, then feeling bad when I turn around and go to the other place. Anyway, my backup place doesn't have any Munchos right now either.

That's okay, because I have a plan C. There is one place in my neighborhood that always has Munchos. I know this because every time I have walked past this place for the past 16 years I have glanced a the rack (it's plainly visible as you pass) and seen the Munchos. This has always been my security blanket, my Strategic Petroleum Reserve of Munchos. It's the newsstand in the subway station at 96th and Lexington.

I went there yesterday, and there were no Munchos on the rack. Just like that. Nothing.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

We have the same issues with Corn Nuts. We reserve them for "riding in the car on long trips" food now.

And hubby gets very grumpy when the gas station doesn't have any...

Oh jeez, I hope this isn't going to be like "Firefly" or "Jericho," where we need a viewer campaign to get eight more episodes.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

You are in serious withdrawal. How dire! Can you get anything shipped in? But alas I realize how that ups the ante tremendously on the quantity. And then you have to use such restraint or go down all ablaze with the fever of Munch abundance. I mean ithas been two months. Cause for celebration surely.

But I have my own munchy demons to slay (read: feed regularly).

Potato chips and Cheez Its.

p :wub:

o :wub:

t :wub:

a :wub:

t :wub:

o :wub:

c :wub:

h :wub:

i :wub:

p :wub:

s :wub:

And that combo bag they got now with all things cheesy.

Only the greatest snack food ever, not to mention a great source of Disodium Guanylate.

Are those the pale wonky saucer shaped wanna be potato chips though?

Doncha think they are too crunchy? Well clearly you don't. But classic potato chips are so much more tender and crunchy. Try a bag during the Muncho drought. It might help. Can you get some umami powder somewhere? You can get everything else in New York. Get some fish dip. :biggrin:

I haven't checked in a while but...

The places I seem to always find Munchos are bars. Most of the smaller watering holes around that don't have kitchens have a display of bags of chips and peanuts. I think they are required to sell food of some sort and this meets the letter of the law. I think Munchos are always on it as they make you want lots to drink.

Good luck.

I love Munchos. They are had to find here sometimes as well. I remember we used to be able to get BBQ Munchos, but that was a very long time ago.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I feel it's best never to speak of BBQ Munchos. Too much pain of loss.

Muncho's were my fist junk food snack.... Ever.

Thank you babysitter.

That's right, folks, I'm hardwired to love, need and crave Mucho's for the rest of my existance.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

When I lived in NY, I used to get my Munchos fix from Duane Reade.

And because I don't feel like working today, I found this nifty little resource that may help you.

Frito-Lay's Product Locator

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

That list is amazing. The technology, able to pinpoint every dealer of Munchos in a Zip code, should be the envy of the DEA, the ATF, the Department of Homeland Security and Cirque de Soleil. However, it's all lies. For example, the Patrick Murphy Market is listed as number 23, but I was just in there. THERE ARE NO MUNCHOS THERE. I bet I could go to 29 stores on that list and not find a single bag of Munchos. The Frito-Lay cartel is cutting off our Munchos supply and nobody is doing anything about it. Well, I didn't slave away, building the eG Forums, for six years only to have this fraud perpetrated on our members. I won't stand for it. Who won't stand with me?

Maybe someone's hoarding them like Elaine and her sponges.

I think Nabisco has a similar database, which I used to try to find Mallomars here in Philly. But don't get me started on that--try finding Mallomars outside the tri-state region, but considering now that Philly is the "sixth borough", it's getting a little easier now.

Oops, off topic. But you're right, Fat Guy. I'm with you. I'm sick and tired and I'm not going to take it anymore!!

edited because my original post didn't make much sense.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I had never heard of them before today so out of curiosity I ventured down the hall to the nearest vending machine and sure enough there they were. At 55 cents for a 7/8 oz bag the risk seemed small enough. Not bad at all. Light and kind of interesting. Dehydrated potatoes, corn and or sunflower oil, potato starch salt and yeast never tasted so good. They must use the yeast to make those little bubbles that makes them so light.

I had never heard of them before today so out of curiosity I ventured down the hall to the nearest vending machine and sure enough there they were. At 55 cents for a 7/8 oz bag the risk seemed small enough. Not bad at all. Light and kind of interesting. Dehydrated potatoes, corn and or sunflower oil, potato starch salt and yeast never tasted so good. They must use the yeast to make those little bubbles that makes them so light.

Nah, it's PFM (Pure F***ing Magic).

Steven, so sorry about the munchos situation! I can relate, my nephew's came to visit, fell in love with the UtZ potato chips and couldn't get them in NY. I ended up going to the web site and sending them about sixty snack bags of the chips. If they ever discontinue Smart Food Popcorn I will die.

Melissa

I'm with you Fatguy - and the rest who have commented. Lovin me munchos. They are also hardish to find here in chicago. Certain Jewels stock them (one of the largest grocery stores in Illinois). Certain ones do not. It seems I can fidn these at convenient stores and gas stations more then chain grocery stores... Actually it also seems like random grocery stores (non-chain and non-dominating/market leader grocery stores) carry these more often than the chain grocery stores (like Jewel, Dominicks).

I used to buy these every single day at lunch in middle-school. Not in the vending machine tho - rather up at the lunch counter being sold on the chip rack my the deli foods and the daily (yes daily, I miss this too) nacho bar (make your own, melty cheese, taco beef with the sauce and all, sourcream, peppers in you please (which I did not), tomatos, lettuce. Mmmm).

Munchos - I crave them every month around, er.....that...er....time on the month. There - I said it. Although I do admit I crave them at other times too.

I was never aware of a bar-b-q variety.....man am I deprived...possible to young to recall these (I am 25)? Any other flavors exist around that time era? Sour cream and onion munchos would have been awesome.

P.S. I too always buy the "grab bag" size. Its the largeish individual bag (actually contains 2.5 servings...looks like one to me tho!). I barely see the full size/family bags being sold!

P.P.S Is Frito-lay keeping supplies minimal to...

A.) Keep consumer demand high, making these delights a rare find and increasing our desires for them?

B.) Frito Lay cannot keep up with the demand (doubtful on this, seems like only us elite foodies like these....not too popluar on a wide-basis....strange :shock:

C.) There is a low demand for these (if that's the case, as Americans on large our tastes/preferences SUCK)

P.P.P.S - Sorry for so many P.S's....I keep thinking of new stuff I wanna say!!

Edited by LindsayAnn (log)

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

*ventures in under a flame proof coat*

Dude. Would Bugles help?

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Funyuns are also good! Much easier to find around here tho. I crave those too - but more often then not if forced to chose I proudly admit to chosing munchos. NOTE: Both are respectable delicacy's - at least in my mind (and from what it appears the minds of many others with grand taste.)

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!