• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substitute for Clear Gel

thecuriousone

Hi all- Help!!!

I have a recipe for a roquefort dressing where the initial vinagrette is cooked with clear gel for 5 minutes.

Clear gel is hard to find and I dont have time to order it online. Is there a substitute I can use? I have used Certo sure gel pectin in the past with uneven results. Is there a ratio of this type of thickener to liquid that I should remember?

I will be in phoenix, AZ when I need this so if anyone knows a source there, please let me know. Thanks so much.

HI All- I have a roquefort salad dressing recipe that calls for thickening the initial vinagrette with a substance called Clear Gel. I've heard of it, but never seen it. I made this recipe substituting Sure Gel pectin with mixed results. Does anyone have any expereince with clear gel? Is there something readily availabe I could substitute for it?

Thanks for any help.