• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegan icing?

atcake

Good morning all. I have a client who is requesting a vegan cake. No problem there, done those before. This is for a wedding and will be 3 tiers, top only to be vegan. I typically use a shortening based 10x icing with soy margarine for a portion to lighten up the taste, real vanilla and almond for the flavors.

My bride and groom, although swore they liked it the day they tasted, have now decided that it's too heavy and would like something lighter. The design on the cake is very simplistic with a base ribbon and gum paste roses to be zig zagged on the tiers.

Do you have any suggestions for a lighter vegan icing that tastes good enough for non-vegans to eat, will hold up to a wedding cake, can sit outside in Cleveland August heat, and is either ivory or white?

Thanks in advance!!!

I have no clues. I just think this is good example of why I don't like to do tastings.

What about a simple glaze? and cover it all up with flowers or something?

Why not throw in low fat, low calorie, sugar free and organic? :rolleyes:

A fruit icing? banana something?

Is that Rich's cream stuff any kind of possibility? The fake whipped cream stuff?

this might be a totally crazy idea, but can you water down the icing? or perhaps make some sort of gelled liquid (corn starch and water) and mix it in. or maybe some clear fruit juice. lemon juice tends to give the illusion of lightness? I agree with k8 that adding some type of non-dairy whip will lighten it up...you could replace your frosting with the non-dairy whip or try to fold it in(but you may run the risk of separation while mixing and potentially in the cleveland heat)

Edited by sugarseattle (log)

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

You might check the recipes in this book:

Vegan cupcakes take over the world : 75 dairy-free recipes for cupcakes that rule / Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero

Specifically the Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting