• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keeping corn and flour tortillas warm or reheating

rarerollingobject

We serve our tortillas from a ceramic tortilla holder. We have several - one big and two small as well as one in pewter. We heat the server, then wrap the tortillas in a napkin and put them in. Works well, but now I have to have a stone.

They look like this: Talavera Ceramics

The pewter one is similar to this, but not so fancy, and it doesn't say tortillas.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I was in Mexico City about a month ago and met the editors of Culinaria Mexicana and they gave me a stone from Veracruz that was rounded and flattened and you put it on the fire or in a microwave and then it goes into the tortilla basket and it keeps the tortillas warm for a good long time! It really worked. They sell it online, I think, but also at their compound in DF, which will have a wonderful store, kitchens and more once they're up and running 100%.

Steve, is this something you're going to carry in your store? If so, sign me up for half a dozen.

Not right away but why not in the future. I want to concentrate on clay pots first.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Here's a whole mini-dissertation on reheating tortillas from Rick Bayless's Fronterakitchens.com website. It recommends steaming 'em, though it also mentions griddle, microwave, and directly-over-gas-burner methods. It also discusses traditional and modern containers for keeping them warm once heated.

Edited to add: Me, I'm often guilty of just flingin' a few in the microwave without even bothering to wrap them. :blush:

Edited by mizducky (log)

Here's a whole mini-dissertation on reheating tortillas from Rick Bayless's Fronterakitchens.com website. It recommends steaming 'em, though it also mentions griddle, microwave, and directly-over-gas-burner methods. It also discusses traditional and modern containers for keeping them warm once heated.

Edited to add: Me, I'm often guilty of just flingin' a few in the microwave without even bothering to wrap them.  :blush:

Thanks Mizducky -- this is a big help. I will try the steaming method and report back!

• 8 months later...

Hi folks --

I hope this won't be sidetracking us too much, but I have a question about making flour tortillas for a crowd. I'm going to be cooking for a crowd of 7 on Friday. I'm wondering if there is a way to cook the tortillas briefly in a hot oven on the open oven racks (or on several baking sheets) to allow me to cook multiple tortillas at a time (rather than one or two at a time in a hot skillet). Alternatively, if there is a way to cook them in a skillet earlier in the day and then re-warm them, please let me know!

Thanks in advance for your help,

Emily

If you are doing FLOUR tortillas, you can cook about 6 at a time on a stove-top griddle, such as a Caphalon or Lodge (i.e., not a nonstick); oven is not a good choice unless you have a large baking stone, but it would need to be quite hot and you could burn your hand turning them. Not good. You can, however, reheat in the oven: wrap tightly in foil and heat in a low oven. If you use the microwave, wrap in damp paper towels or cloth towel and heat BRIEFLY. Overheating in the microwave makes flour tortillas tough and even brittle--the regular oven is better if you are doing a lot and don't want to be watching them so closely.

We do a couple of methods. In fact I had tacos last night.

First, soft tacos are typically wheat tortillas not corn. Those we wrap in a damp towel and place in a warm oven while cooking.

Corn tortillas are the bomb though. I have a large griddle and can do about 8 at a time to give them a little body and flavor. If doing enchiladas, we dip in hot enchilada sauce and roll with filling into the bake dish.

Either style of tortilla goes into a towel lined ceramic casserole dish with a lid for service at the table.