• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai Catfish Salad

What is technique to get the catfish flakes to fluff up and bind together?

That seems to be the hardest part of this recipe.

When I make it it does not bind and is not fluffy.

Thanks in advance!

What's your fluffing technique? My dad used to use a fork to fluff it up (you're cooking the fish first, right?). Also, my friend told me that frozen catfish won't fluff as well as fresh catfish.

Thanks in advance!

What works for me is to bake the catfish quite dry, fluff it up with a fork, heat oil till shimmering and scatter the fish fluff with my hand horizontally across the pan of oil and then scatter another handful crossways across the first handful, sort of forming a large X in the pan.

Then gently using a wooden spoon, 'herd' the frying pieces together into a clump in the centre of the frying oil and if you do this gently enough, and fast enough, it binds. Something about the collagen in the fish flesh coming out.

Thanks in advance!

What works for me is to bake the catfish quite dry, fluff it up with a fork, heat oil till shimmering and scatter the fish fluff with my hand horizontally across the pan of oil and then scatter another handful crossways across the first handful, sort of forming a large X in the pan.

Then gently using a wooden spoon, 'herd' the frying pieces together into a clump in the centre of the frying oil and if you do this gently enough, and fast enough, it binds. Something about the collagen in the fish flesh coming out.

Great!

I undercook the catfish, hence it's moist. Dry, plus mash. I will try these methods and let you know.

Thanks for the help!