• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-cake cake?

onehsancare

I got it :biggrin: Individual rice cakes cut with graduated cookie cutters (large medium small) and stacked like a mini wedding cake in tiers. I'm not really sure how the rice cakes will cut but you gotta admit it's at least a thought worth thinking about for a while.

Wonder how you make rice cakes anyhow.

You could decorate the 'tiers' with colored cream cheese or something.

I mean if you put ribbon around the tiers that would really be pretty and oh so bridal. (rice kinda traditional y'know)

Cool?

Here is a minimally sweet rice cake recipe, from the Koda Farms (Kokuho Rose rice growers) website:

Italian Rice Cake

4 cups whole milk

1/2 cup sugar

grated zest of 1 large lemon

1 cup Kokuho Rose uncooked rice

3 tbs fine bread crumbs

3 large Italian almond cookies (ie. Amaretti di Saronno type)

1/2 cup blanched almonds

3 large eggs

2 tbs cognac or armagnac

2 large egg whites at room temperature

2 1/2 tbs sugar

powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in center

In a heavy saucepan, combine milk with the lemon zest and 1/2 cup sugar. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil.

Add uncooked rice, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer uncovered. Stir constantly until rice is tender and liquids are absorbed.

This will take approximately 35-45 minutes. At this point, the mixture should be fairly thick in consistency. Transfer to a large bowl and cool to room temperature.

Generously butter a 9 inch round cake pan, preferably a springform with drop-out bottom. Sprinkle with the fine crumbs, making sure all surfaces are covered uniformly. Invert pan and gently tap bottom to dispose of excess crumbs.

In the bowl of a food processor, place almond cookies and blanched almonds. Pulse, but be careful not to turn the mixture into a paste. Add contents of bowl to rice mixture.

In a large bowl, beat the 3 large eggs until thick and pale yellow. Add the cognac or armagnac, and mix until well incorporated.

Add contents of bowl to rice mixture.

In a pristine medium bowl, beat the egg whites with 2 1/2 tbs sugar until stiff. For best results, start mixer on medium low and gradually increase to medium high. Gently fold whites into rice mixture.

Transfer the prepared mixture into the cake pan. Shake pan gently to distribute evenly, then lightly tap pan on counter top to discourage large air pockets.

Bake on middle rack approximately 30-35 minutes and cake top is golden brown. Cake is done when pricked with a cake tester and tester comes clean.

Remove from oven and cool on a rack to room temperature.

Sift powdered sugar over cake top before serving.

gallery_19538_2145_468797.jpg

gallery_19538_2145_1008409.jpg

I mean I just tossed these together easy peasy. So if you took your time and stuff this could really be cool. I mean this is just some random ribbon I had on hand. Probably be better to clip off the ends instead of curling them. I mean with more thought it could be even cooler. It's a thought!

These are white cheddar rice cakes--not even stuck together just stacked up for the photo shoot.

I mean you could layer anything, tortillas spread with cheese, cut out and stacked up.

~~ding ding ding ding ~~

I have a lot of fun working with pate choux. You can do anything with pate choux. I make mine without sugar. The possibilities are endless with pate choux.

In fact I just made something with pate choux and neither my husband nor I can remember what it is...Hmmm...I remember painting it ---oh yeah fireworks exploding in air :biggrin:

brb...

gallery_19538_2145_613998.jpg

:biggrin: ...And the rockets red glare the bombs bursting in air BOOM!

Hey, Lois will be NINETY on July Fourth and she had an early surprise party. I really think you need to go easy on the surprises for ninety year olds but it all worked out. So anyway the point is pate choux rocks!

Edited by K8memphis (log)

I got it  :biggrin: Individual rice cakes cut with graduated cookie cutters (large medium small) and stacked like a mini wedding cake in tiers. I'm not really sure how the rice cakes will cut but you gotta admit it's at least a thought worth thinking about for a while.

Wonder how you make rice cakes anyhow.

You could decorate the 'tiers' with colored cream cheese or something.

I mean if you put ribbon around the tiers that would really be pretty and oh so bridal. (rice kinda traditional y'know)

Cool?

WAY cool!

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

Boy, LOTS of great ideas! Thanks so much!

Tri2Cook really put her finger on the real issue--what does "NO SWEETS" mean in practice? For many of the OAs I know, it doesn't matter if the sweetener is artificial or not; they don't want the experience of eating sweets. Others do use artificial sweeteners, and I think EVERYBODY eats fruit.

One more thought I had was a Ukrainian wedding bread, a korovai. I'm going to experiment with making it less sweet. Serving that would mean that the "no bread" people won't get any, but I think we came into this knowing that we weren't going to be able to meet everyone's limitations.

I'm going to be meeting with the bride this week, and I'll let her be in charge. (Was there ever a bride who wasn't in charge??)

Thanks again--you guys are wonderful.

Italian Rice Cake

4 cups whole milk

1/2 cup sugar

grated zest of 1 large lemon

1 cup Kokuho Rose uncooked rice

3 tbs fine bread crumbs

3 large Italian almond cookies (ie. Amaretti di Saronno type)

1/2 cup blanched almonds

3 large eggs

2 tbs cognac or armagnac

2 large egg whites at room temperature

2 1/2 tbs sugar

powdered sugar

For OA members the food items that define their abstinence is an absolute. Just as a true alcoholic can not have ANY alcohol, a person addicted to food can not have ANY of the food that triggers their addictive response. It get more complicated with food because you still have to eat but to remain abstinent requires choosing not to eat the wrong foods.

I am a lapsed member of OA - I know from the inside out what a real struggle this is and why such limits have been placed on the choice for the cake. With no disrespect meant toward the bride and groom I am surprised that they are trying to have a facsimile of the food that they need to avoid. It is their choice but it does surprise me.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I would suggest talking with both of them and have a more specific direction of what they actually want.Do they expressedly asked for a cake non cake ?If so they need to give you direction of what is allowed or they should be more informed on what their friends will be comfortable eating ( without feeling left out if there is something they cant eat ,no temptetions in few words ).

Good luck.

Vanessa

Tri2Cook really put her finger on the real issue--

Actually that would be his finger, just thought I'd mention that. :wink: Best of luck with this, definitely an interesting challenge.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Fresh berries set in Rose wine jelly ( I dont know how to put the ' flourish' over the e in Rose... :biggrin: ) and use an artificial sweetener. Set in a few fancy tins, looks fantastic and tastes even better. Garnish with mint leaves and fresh berries scattered over.

I'd bet there are more people wanting a sweet taste somewhere in the wedding feast then those that dont.

Surely! :wink:

I am surprised that they are trying to have a facsimile of the food that they need to avoid.  It is their choice but it does surprise me.

They've since told me that they want something to serve the function of a wedding cake--to share a symbol of their union with all of their guests. I don't think they're really aiming for a "cake"--I know that they don't want a regular cake with stevia substituting for sugar, or anything like that.

Thanks for your good thoughts.

That makes it easier. Anything that can sit on a nice platter/stand/etc. and be sliced will work for that so it's just a matter of ruling out what they've said no to. I'm not really familiar with OA but everybody is talking about avoiding sugar, flour, bread, etc. and using sour cream, cream cheese cream, etc. Is OA like Atkins and you have to avoid the carbs but can munch all the fat you want? I'm not trying to sound rude, I know a lot of people who've done really well on Atkins, I'm just trying to figure out what we're after.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

OA isn't really about diet plans or ways to eat. It's more about empowering yourself to overcome an addiction to overeating. It closely follows the same 12 step plan as Alcoholics Anonymous. OA doesn't endorse any kind of diet. Individuals personally deduce which foods trigger overeating, then try to eliminate those "triggers" from their menu so they can get their eating in control. Everyone has different "food triggers", hence the variation in what people decide what they can and can't eat.

Edited by chefpeon (log)

To follow up on earlier suggestions about Jello desserts, how about using clear or coloured agar (maybe see if you could sweeten it with fruit juice instead of sugar) and suspending different types of fruit in each tier, and the tiers could be elevated - I'm trying to say, not sitting directly on top of one another, but can't think of the expression right now :duh:

I love the idea of a symbolic cake! Here are some very *wacky* ideas, but perhaps one of them can be used as a springboard for something practical. They are listed in increasing order of wackiness. :raz:

1. An ice sculpture of a wedding cake. It is, after all, water in the solid :biggrin: . You could tint the ice pink which would nice under the sun, or cast colored light on cake at night. Ice also serves as a wonderful matrix for embedding flowers. Some intricate patterns can be created when casting flowers with ice. Fruit x-sections may also be used. I believe Martha Stewarts did something similar with petal-embedded ice vodka bottle holders. http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/m...sc=taxonomylist

2. A glass cake decorated with gumpaste flowers. This may be fashioned by stacking cylindrical glass vases (turned upside down) on top of eachother in decreasing size. The glass cake can be used as a scaffold to hold hand-fashioned gumpaste flowers. The flowers can be elaborate since they are sitting on glass. Since there are only 30 guests, it is possible to make 30 pieces. A lot of beautiful gumpaste work has been done by eGulleters and they provide very helpful advice. Gumpaste flowers can also be ordered from various sites. (i.e. http://www.cakevisions.com/FlowerMain1.htm). Note that gumpaste flowers are edible, but are often too beautiful to eat. They last for many years and can be taken home as wedding favors.

3. A layered shot glass cake. I do not know if restrictions on alcohol apply to OA members; however, here is idea that is fun for the younger crowd. Layered shot or "Pousse Cafe" recipes can be found at internet bartending sites...for example here is one of a Banana Split Layered Shot (http://www.recipezaar.com/185363). Arrange Pousse Cafes on wedding cake platform. Shot glasses may be etched and taken home as wedding favors.

Edited by ChocoGrok (log)

"The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful"

- e e cummings

An extension of the "Glass Cake" idea....besides being an homage to garnish :biggrin: (because the floral decoarations are the only thing "technically edible"), it is possible to put text on the glass. A Sharpie can be used to script the lyrics of the couple's favoraite song or piece of romantic poetry on the glass.

Edited by ChocoGrok (log)

"The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful"

- e e cummings

OA isn't really about diet plans or ways to eat. It's more about empowering yourself to overcome an addiction to overeating. It closely follows the same 12 step plan as Alcoholics Anonymous. OA doesn't endorse any kind of diet. Individuals personally deduce which foods trigger overeating, then try to eliminate those "triggers" from their menu so they can get their eating in control. Everyone has different "food triggers", hence the variation in what people decide what they can and can't eat.

Thank you for saying this so much more clearly.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I'm in favor of a fun and fancy tower of fruit -- the traditional french wedding cake is a croquembouche, which is a tower of cream puffs, so how about a tower of melon balls, strawberries, berries, grapes of different shades, etc. You could use toothpicks to hold them onto a styro base (whether cake-shaped or cone shaped) or just pile them into compotes that could stack on one another?

It looks great, tastes great, and is natural. You could even do it with cherry tomatoes, baby vegetables and cubes of cheese if you wanted to stay away from the sweet end.

I'm just catching up with this thread - what a fascinating challenge!

I think this is a fantastic idea, capable of all sorts of variations.

I sometimes make crispy rice cakes (I think it might be a Malaysian recipe?) - just boiled rice essentially, and surely plain boiled rice would be acceptable for most people? I thought it might work with the rice coloured pink by putting a beetroot in the cooking water (Or food colouring) and it could even be flavoured with rose-water? (some sugar in that though - but it wouldnt need much, would it?) They would be close to the idea of cup-cakes, and a pretty pink - perfect for weddings.

All I do is cook rice by the absorption method, beat it a bit with a wooden spoon, and press it into an oiled tray (however thick you want) , cover with greased foil and weight it down - it works best if you put a second tray the same size as the first, on top so they nest together, and then put weights (eg cans) on it. Refrigerate overnight, use a wet cutter (heart shape would be good?) to cut out shapes. They can then be dried out slowly in the oven if you want them crisp. How do you make yours, K8?

Pink, rose-scented, heart-shaped, and only rice and water - any problem with that? I dont have time to experiment this weekend (daughter competing in the Gold Coast marathon - not her mother's daughter ......... ).

Janet

P.S what would happen if you soaked almonds (skinned) in colouring? they could be used to form the petals of 'flowers'? Or slivers of dried strawberries to decorate?

so many ideas, so little time .......

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

• 3 weeks later...

Wedding date has been moved (again!) to August 13. I haven't had a serious sit-down with the bride and groom for several weeks. I'll see them this weekend, and I think we'll start the discussion by reading this thread!

Thanks again for all your wonderful ideas--if they're not happy with one of these, I don't know what we'll do! :unsure:

I'll report after we meet.

How about getting 2-3 large seedless watermelons and removing the peel prior to cutting and then making large circular "planks" of varying diameters and stack em up like cake and decorate with fruit "flowers"!

Nice with yellow watermelon "middle layer"

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 3 weeks later...
How about getting 2-3 large seedless watermelons and removing the peel prior to cutting and then making large circular "planks" of varying diameters and stack em up like cake and decorate with fruit "flowers"!

Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

They loved the watermelon idea. I made a "dry run" last week with all red, but still thought I'd try a yellow layer, too. The yellow watermelon we got today was tasteless and not as firm as the red, so we trashed it.

The wedding was tonight, and everyone LOVED the cake! (I got more compliments on that than for anything I've ever baked!) I used organic edible flowers to decorate.

gallery_24378_2_163603.jpg

Yes well done everyone. I know sometime in the next ten years I'll be confronted with the same dilemma. Thanks to you guys I'll be prepared.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats