• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Challenging the oil-to-vinegar ratio

Fat Guy

I always start with 3:1, but then I keep adding acid until it tastes right to me. I would suspect that I end up pretty close to 1:1 in the end.

I don't use extremely high quality olive oil, so that might be part of it. While I enjoy the flavor of EVOO, I tend to find it too bland and oil for salads. I want something sharp and tangy. I've been know to just use straight balsamic, or lemon juice with no oil at all sometimes.

I have no idea what ratio I use. I coat the leaves lightly with evoo and then add lemon juice/vinegar to taste, toss, season with s & p, add what ever garnish I choose, toss again and serve. I never make "salad dressing" and find that the bottled mixes my children buy eventually are thrown out as I find them so sweet they detract from the flavours of the salad ingredients which is really what salad is all about.

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

Marcia, when you say it's too raw and sharp, are you talking about tasting it alone, or on a salad? One of the things I've found is that what tastes good on its own isn't necessarily what's best on a salad, because when you put a thin coating of dressing on a salad you get it in a diffuse form. Or are you already factoring in the salad?

A little of both. It's sharp on it's own, and I still get too much vinegar when it's on a salad. I find this a lot with bottled dressings, too - many of them are very sharp in the bottle, and retain that sharpness to me even when tossed with greens. I think it may be a factor of the vinegar used in addition to the ratio of oil to vinegar.

I completely agree that you do need to taste a vinaigrette on a salad to properly assess the ratio and strength.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I always start with 3:1, but then I keep adding acid until it tastes right to me.  I would suspect that I end up pretty close to 1:1 in the end.

That's about what I do too. How much vinegar I add depends on the acidity and flavor of the vinegar, the depth of flavor of the oil, and probably what mood I'm in. I'm sure a lot of the time the final ratio is close to 1:1, especially if the vinegar is tasty and not too strong.

Notes from the underbelly

I suspect that I am some kind of supertaster when it comes to the sour element. I would find a 1:1 dresssing inedible. At many restaurants I have to shake as much dressing off the salad as possible to get the stuff down.

I'd go into my loathing of capers & pickles but that would be off topic. Judging from the responses on dressings here, I think I really do have an extreme sensitivity to sour flavors.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845