• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frequently Overlooked in Charleston, SC

BetsyinKY

We are leaving on Saturday for a full week in the Charleston area (Sullivan's Island). Charleston has become a favorite vacation destination for us and we've hit many of the better known restaurants (Magnolia's, S.N.O.B., 39 Rue de Jean, Hominy Grill, Peninsula Grill, Anson, Poogan's Porch, G&M Fast and French, Vickery's, Boulevard Diner, Blossom, the Old Village Post House...just to name a few). We know we are going to Peninsula Grill again, because that has become an anniversary tradition, but other than that, we would like to try some new places. The only caveat is that my husband is a bit of a picky eater, in that he prefers "plain" food. He has expanded his comfort zone in the world of food, but I don't see him being comfortable with the menu at say, McCrady's. Anyway, if anyone has suggestions of places that are frequently overlooked or off the beaten path, I would love to hear them. Thanks in advance!

I've been meaning to write about my Memorial Day vacation there, and this gives me an excuse. Try Granville's, which is near Moe's Crosstown Tavern. The chef catered my wedding last year, and his new restaurant was fantastic. They have small plates, salads, and full entrees -- my Thai braised short rib in coconut milk was excellent.

Make reservations; despite it being new and not downtown, it was absolutely packed.

Closer to you, Morgan Creek Grill on IOP is a little less adventurous, but has always been very good when we've been there. Nice setting on the bayside, as well.

I'll cast a vote for two of my faves which you didn't mention: Sermet's Corner on King Street and Cru Cafe on Cumberland Street (easily overlooked because of its out-of-the-way location), both in downtown Charleston. Both serve lunch and dinner.

CBHall

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I had read a review of Granville's a few months ago...thanks for reminding me of it. I have had Sermet's and Cru Cafe on my "need to try" list for a while now and haven't been able to make it to them, due to repeat visits to places I know I love, like the Hominy Grill. I am moving them up for this trip. Thanks again, and if there are any more ideas, keep them coming!

For a good breakfast/brunch/lunch in Mt Pleasant, try Charleston's Bookstore Cafe (formerly downtown). Get one of their "islands", which is mildly fried slices of potatoes with other good stuff on top. Great after a long night ;)

The Hungry Detective profiled them, as well.