• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knife Sharpening Systems - EdgePro, Apex

A Patric

Does this 3/8" area run the full lenght of the blade?

400 grit sandpaper is like 1200 grit Japanese waterstone

1500-2000 grit sandpaper is like a 5000 grit Japanese waterstone

You can sharpen with high grit wet/dry sandpaper, you just have to replace it often. Small stones can be difficult to work with when trying to sharpen a large kitchen knife.

Does this 3/8" area run the full lenght of the blade? 

400 grit sandpaper is like 1200 grit Japanese waterstone

1500-2000 grit sandpaper is like a 5000 grit Japanese waterstone

You can sharpen with high grit wet/dry sandpaper, you just have to replace it often.  Small stones can be difficult to work with when trying to sharpen a large kitchen knife.

Yea, it goes all along the blade...The blades are very sharp (not due to the C/C110,

I have not used it for years). It just marked the bottom part of the blade, and looks bad...I will try the water stones and then some 2000 w/d and then if that wont fly, some jewelers rouge on the buffing wheel. (and then most likely a re do on the cutting edges) ..

Bud

• 1 year later...

I just got an Apex Edge Pro (kit 3) last week after noticing that my newish knifes were really getting dull and not doing a good job with tomatoes in particular. I had looked at the videos before buying the system. It was very easy to set up and I was able to sharpen my three main knives (8” Foschner chef knife, Global pairing knife, and 8” Messermeister chef knife) in less than an hour. I only used the 220 stone because I was too lazy switching to the 320 for a second pass.

Results are great. The Foschner was the easiest to sharpen (the blade felt “softer” especially compared to the Messermeister. Also I was not nervous about damaging it because it was only $30). Knifes are better than new; the system is very safe but I managed to cut my thumb while checking the burr on the Forschner (I know, rookie mistake, I forgot to pull AWAY from the edge which was already razor-sharp by then).

I am very pleased with my purchase. I’ve volunteered to sharpen my friends and family’s knifes so I could get a little more practice.

Once you consistently get the knives shaving sharp with the coarse stone you should try following up with the higher grits. It really does make a difference in performance.

It also impresses the heck out of people when you can whittle hair. Just sayin'.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

FrogPrincesse, your comments are typical of a new Edgepro owner. Take time and play with the different stones. You may just get a charge from seeing a mirror shine from your new bevels. To make changing stones easier I removed the plastic spacer between the stone holder and the ball handle and replaced it with a spring. It makes changing stones a little quicker. Have fun and watch your fingers. Sharp knives are indeed dangerous.

I had the EdgePro Professional model and gave to a thrift shop when I moved to Manhattan (no room)...I still wonder if anyone going through that shop would have any clue what the contraption was (but I did give the video, etc, with the whole kit).

<sigh> Yes, wish I still had it (and a all the other things that went to donation, given to neighbors, and then the last scramble of giving the moving company guys 'any of that stuff left over there...'

Moved from a 2500 sq ft house to a 700 sq ft apartment. Its not that the EdgePro was the largest item, but the case is a bit awkwardly long. Mainly was a decision based on how much I used it (not much) and not how much I valued it - I liked it. First time I moved to New York, I gave away the dog (He was a hunting breed dog, needs lots of room to run around...)

• 4 years later...

Im a fan of Test Kitchen and Cook's Country,  the Vids.

less so the books, etc

they just showed this in my area.  you can see it here:

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/episode/465-spicing-up-the-backyard-barbecue?ref=Episode_feature_8

I dont do pork tenderloin as I feel its over priced.

this this steak method looks very interesting to me, although Id cook them to a lower temp.

the quinoa also looked tasty and I might finally give that a try

I get the magazine. Oftentimes it seems their hacks are really not necessary but I often find inspiration from their equipment tests and the occasional recipe. Mr Kimball's foreword never really seems relevant to the the particular issue it's in but more of an issue of ego... 

I get all books and mag.s at the library now.

but Im a cooking vid addict aficionado.  Cooking is the watch word. all i have to do is put my feet up on the desk, and click return.

my kind of work.

in the past i recorded all this stuff on VCR tape.  then could never find a particular recipe.

I moved to over-the-air HDTV and computer editing.  better.

now much of this is on the web.

like my new best buddy Aaron Franklin 

I am a bit surprised the TestKitchen financial empire lets me see these for 'free'

just saying

( maybe its the "Sign Up Now" bait they use for a lure ... )

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I refused to join anything else related to ATK after being bum-rushed by their email advertising campaign.

I also severed all ties with them after some persistence and instance on my part due to their aggressive marketing techniques. I even got some spam email from some of their underwriters. (they don't have "advertisers") They also made me mad at them for other reasons but I won't let this turn into a long rant. 

• Like 1

libraries were made to take the heat from the TestKitchen Empire   

anyway, if you make pork tenderloin, and have a grill, take a peek and report back.

when i make mine, Ill make it rarer, for sure.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Its looking like i am going to have to get a new grill soon.  Certainly before I try this. It does look good and I'd like to give it a try.

I grilled some peppers the other day, then a few minutes later did a few more and they wouldn't burn like I wanted them to.  a couple days later i grilled a steak for ten minutes per side and it nice marks on the outside, it was still 90% raw on the inside. I'm looking at a Broil King grill.

Grilling seems ill-suited to a lean meat like p. tenderloin. From the photo it looks like ATK overcooked it (as you say).

What do you mean ? Grilling excels at tenderloin, loin chops, chicken breast etc.

for me, tenderloin is just tender with little flavor

and a difficult form for even cooking

this seemed to solve both problems in a simple way  butterfly would get you to a similar place.

but id go for 125 at most