• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Candying Cherries

Lindacakes

One of my friends used to live in a suburb of Hamilton, which I think is pretty far east, and she used to buy cherries for canning in the early summer from farmstands a few miles outside of the city.  The same place sold apples in the fall. 

There might be a directory of farmstands, etc., in eastern Canada somewhere on the 'net.

Hamilton may be pretty far east, but I am further east yet. And north. :wink:

I have never seen sour cherries at a farm stand in our area...we are in a different zone than Hamilton. I think that barring driving south and west, a grocery store may be my only source. And we do not have any grocery stores here like Trader Joe's or Whole Earth.

I emailed Gina this morning and just got an email with this website address.

re growers in the area

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I emailed Gina this morning and just got an email with this website address.

re growers in the area

I guess I should say thanks, but that is one depressing article!!! :sad:

I know the article is sad but the source site might be a way to find other growers.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've never lived anywhere that sour cherries show up in a regular grocery store. Farmer's market and farmstands, yes.

When we lived in NE Ohio, if I wanted sour cherries, I had to put in a request at one of the local farmstands. When they came in, I'd go pick them up. And if I'd guessed wrong about the quantity I wanted, tough luck.

Here, they just show up at the farmer's market, in more than one vendor's stuff. They're generally around for a few brief weeks.

I'd find a farmstand or farmer's market vendor that has sweet cherries, and ask them about the sour ones.

And---I've always been asked many many many more questions about what I'm bringing into the U.S. than what I'm bringing into Canada!

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Thanks all for all the information. I have a feeling that sour cherries are about to go to the end of the list of 'things I have to deal with in the next few weeks'. :sad: That's life sometimes.

Thanks again. :smile:

But...I will keep the information in mind for next year...... :rolleyes:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

What about using Italian canned sour cherries? Amarena, Luxardo brand. They actually have them on Amazon. You can also get jars of sour cherries in Eastern European groceries.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

• 2 years later...

I saw frozen cherries mentioned earlier in this thread. Will they work reliably for the slow candying method? Because of the weather this year I couldn't find fresh sour cherries at any of the markets around here, and the candied bings I made instead just don't taste the same. My grocery store carries large tubs of frozen uncooked sour cherries though, and I was hoping those would work.