• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seahorse Soup

Weird Meat is one of my favorite blogs. Lizard soup, cicadas, balut... the list goes on.

Haven't tried seahorse soup, but nearly anything is worth tasting once.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

I don't want to be a buzzkill, but it's worth pointing out that many species of seahorses are threatened or endangered:

Many seahorses are listed as threatened according to international or national criteria. In 2002, the World Conservation Union (IUCN) Red List of Threatened Species lists one species as endangered, 20 species as vulnerable and the remaining 11 species as "data deficient." As of May 15, 2004, seahorses are listed on CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) Appendix II, which means international trade is strictly controlled through a system of permits by the 165 member countries of CITES.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a pork shortage I am not aware of? Chicken not plentiful enough? Why must we eat endangered species?

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

• 2 weeks later...

I am a moderator at a reef keeping club and it is unfortunate that these animals are still used in traditional medicines. I can't say I am surprised but since this is foodie site, I will not say anything inflamatory. :blink: