• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A. Russo & Sons

michael_g

My girlfriend and I went to A. Russo & Sons in Watertown for the first time earlier this week. All I can say is, "wow!"

I love the layout: just produce on stands, with all of the packaged stuff underneath. No aisles, no harsh overhead lighting. Great prices: by the basket, peaches were $0.98 a pound, and they are unusually sweet for this early. A lot of the stuff was unexpectedly local -- onions, for instance. Sadly, nothing seemed organic.

They have Indian mangoes (at $2.98 a pop, I think, so we got some Haitians of the same variety that smelled just as good). Not to mention all sorts of Asian vegetables: two different kinds of bitter gourd, for example. We got some flowering chives, which were delicious chopped and tossed with pasta, served with a lamb shank (from Whole Foods). I didn't get a look at their fresh meat section, if they have one.

Their cheeses and meats looked good, too. The loaf of "rustic bread" we got was tasty and simple.

We talked about framing the receipt: 5.34 pounds of peaches, $5.23. 2.89 pounds of Favas, $2.83. 0.74 pounds of blueberries (in a little case), $1.98. A ripe plaintain for $0.35. 1.4 pounds of tomatillos, $2.77. Four artichokes at 0.45 pounds, $3.50. We got produce for a week for a little under $35, all of it fresh and beautiful.

Anyone else been there? Tips on good things to get, or perhaps why this is all too good to be true?

EDIT: Fixed the ampersand.

Edited by michael_g (log)

I love Russo's. It's a bit out of the way for me so I don't get down there as much as I would like. The prices are excellent, agreed. My only complaint with the store is the parking. I'm wondering if it's always a zoo. :hmmm:

Diana Burrell, freelance writer/author

The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock (Marion Street Press, Nov. 2006)

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

I love Russo's. It's a bit out of the way for me so I don't get down there as much as I would like. The prices are excellent, agreed. My only complaint with the store is the parking. I'm wondering if it's always a zoo.  :hmmm:

We were there Sunday and it wasn't that bad -- found a spot in a 3/4 full parking lot pretty quickly. It was a bit tough to navigate their narrow aisles with a shopping cart, but it wasn't terrible. I read somewhere that the lot was expanded recently.

I'm going back Thursday morning with my grandfather, so I'll see how it is then.

you can get some good prices on fish as well. they will take advance orders, which is nice if you are planning a dinner party and want to know you'll have access to what you want.