• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Northern NJ donuts?

lutefisk

Last night I dreamed about donuts. I was at a donut shop and was ordering the 5 donut special. One blueberry, one chocolate glazed, one jelly...and then I woke up -- before I got the chance to eat them. It was sad.

Which brings me to the question at hand: Is there anywhere within, say, 30 minutes of Fort Lee to get a decent donut? Dunkin' makes me ill.

Sorry, this isn't within 30 minutes of Fort Lee (maybe 40 min w/o traffic), but I want to put in a plug for Donut Towne in Wharton, NJ. Right off route 80.

It's so refreshing to have non-Dunkin doughnuts sometimes. I work in an office and you'd think that it was corporate policy that every birthday must only be celebrated with Dunkin Donuts.

anyone know of good donuts near montclair area? I'm willing to drive. there's a bakery on rte 23 that has pretty good old fashioned cruellers, which is a fall back.

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

It's Packanack Bakery on the East side of 23. It just says Bakery on it. They have old fashioned cruellers dusted with cinnamon sugar or with powdered sugar--and maybe also plain--that I think are out of this world. And they had an Irish soda bread on st. patrick's day that was delicious right out of the oven. They don't make everything (like the cookies) but they make everything else. The simpler things are best. I love the crumb cake too. Try it and let me know.

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

Some day, when the dream comes true and maybe I open that little fine cheese shop that also sells wonderful cookies and brownies here in montclair, don't you think I should have one of those little automated donut fryers to cook up from-scratch donuts every morning?

this is beginning to really intrigue me!

(thanks for daydreaming with me)

Some day, when the dream comes true and maybe I open that little fine cheese shop that also sells wonderful cookies and brownies here in montclair, don't you think I should have one of those little automated donut fryers to cook up from-scratch donuts every morning?

this is beginning to really intrigue me!

(thanks for daydreaming with me)

I love those donuts from those machines. There is a place in Beach Haven that has one and people line up in the morning like you would not believe! :raz:

Chris

Cookbooks are full of stirring passages

I love those donuts from those machines.  There is a place in Beach Haven that has one and people line up in the morning like you would not believe! :raz:

I have fond memories of those as well. Growing up in a seaside town in the south east of England, trips to the beach would involve a trip to the donut stand to get some freshly fried + sugared ring donuts. Great stuff. I think my doctor would faint if I ate them now :wink:

Calandra on rt46e in Fairfeild makes really good jelly(cinn sugar and powdered) and cream donuts. Their bread and rolls are also top notch. Allwood Bakery in Clifton also has great donuts, besides excellent pastries and onion rolls.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe its the "southerner" in me, but I miss a good "Hot Now" fresh glazed doughnut from Krispy Kreme store. Their raspberry-filled "bombs" are heavenly, too.

agreed krispy kremes are delicious. just never binge on em, no mattr how accessiblethose flat boxes make them. i have since walked up to krispy kremes, money in hand, and still been unable to order a donut. just turned and walked away, crying a little inside.

as far as donuts, there used to be a "farm" in closter around where i grew up that had fresh donuts which i remember were really good. of course, this was some time ago.

but if your ever in massachussets, and you find yourself on cape cod, and happen to fall onto a boat to nantucket (an entirely plausible scenario), hit up downy flake. ive never had a better donut than theirs, when they are warm.