• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Cooking, and How You Began

ElainaA is correct.  This is a great thread.  eGulleters are discouraged from writing about their personal lives, but I for one find it fascinating to learn the backgrounds of folks whom I have 'known' for a few years without knowing much about them. 

• Like 8

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I love cooking (and baking)...I've been cooking and baking since I was a kid.The after cooking clean-up is what I HATE!!!!  :wacko:

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I love cooking (and baking)...I've been cooking and baking since I was a kid.The after cooking clean-up is what I HATE!!!!  :wacko:

That's one reason to have children.   :raz:    Sadly, they do grow up and leave - and don't come home every night to wash dishes.

Elaina

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 3

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I like to cook since young.  I baked my first cake a the age of 15 and cook occasionally during my working life.  I started to cook seriously when I started my restaurant business 12 years ago.  My interest is in Asian cooking, but also crossover to baking and desserts.

• Like 1

My name is KP Kwan. I am a pharmacist turned restaurateur who lives in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I have worked in my restaurant more than ten years and since year 2012.

I am also a food blogger.  You can read my blog at http://tasteasianfood.com/

I am looking forward to learning and contributing topics about culinary skills in this forum.

My Mom is a good cook of solid, homey foods. My favorites growing up were shepard's (cottage) pie, tourtiere, salmon pie and New England boiled diners (corned beef, turnips, carrots, potatoes - no cabbage).  But she was also one of the few of her brothers and sisters (oldest of 8) that branched out into more "creative" things...like Ortega taco kits and "Chinese" food based on LaChoy canned Chinese vegetables, lol.  But they were delicious to me and my family.  And she had a big garden that I had to help in as a kid, she canned her own produce, we raised a few animals for meat and I had to help out in the kitchen as well.  Usually making salad was my job so I learned at least a little about using a knife as a kid.  Then I went to hospitality school and intended to work front of house, but I really enjoyed the basic cooking classes we all had to take so they gave me a foundation for eventually getting more creative on my own.  Now I will cook all sorts of cuisines, grow and can my own tomatoes, bake, etc., even though I am mostly just cooking for myself.  But my style is similar to what we had growing up, no matter the cuisine - hearty and homey, not fancy.

• Like 5