• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean Salad Recipe

I just posted about this on another webpage (starts with a C), but I figured I'd get more answers here so I'll try my luck here.

Anyways in the summertime my mother always makes a delicious and refreshing salad that my family eats more as well a salad and not as a banchan. Its usually romaine lettuce, red leaf lettuce, thinly sliced onions, and some julienned green onion. The dressing on the salad tastes like it has: gochugaru, salt, sugar, sesame oil, and some rice vinegar. Does anyone know the name of this dish or the recipe for the dressing?

My mother also does another salad type dish with watercress, garlic chives, and some weird greens that i have never seen before in my life...looks kind of like chrysanthemum. The dressing for this one is similar to the one at the top but with a bit of fish sauce. I'm wondering if thats an original recipe on her part or perhaps a true korean dish.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

...in the summertime my mother always makes a delicious and refreshing salad that my family eats more as well a salad and not as a banchan.  Its usually romaine lettuce, red leaf lettuce, thinly sliced onions, and some julienned green onion.

Hi SheenaGreena,

My grandmother used to do something that sounds quite similar: she called it 'instant kimchi' and used to say that 'even haoles like this'. Really, it always seemed to me more like a take on a normal Western salad, but with a Korean twist. Halmoni's would have romaine letuce, green onions sliced on the slant, maybe some sliced radish. maybe some chinese cabbage. Her dressing was as follows:

2 tbsp rice vinegar

3 tbsp light soy sauce

1 tbsp kochujang

2 tbsp sesame oil

1/2 to 1 tbsp coarse red chili powder (or to taste)

2 tsp toasted sesame seeds

As for your other salad, I wonder if the vegetable is ssuka or garland chrysanthemum? Halmoni used blanch this then dress simply with soy sauce, sesame oil and toasted sesame seed.

I love Korean salads! They are so fresh and deliciously crunchy. One of the simplest and one of my most favourite is oinamul - simply cucumbers sliced as thinly as possible, placed in a bowl, covered with salt and then water and left for around 20 minutes, rinsed and squeezed out, then dressed simply with rice vinegar, sugar, and coarse red chili pepper (you can add green onions, cilantro, red onions, radish, whatever, but simplest is best).

Marc

thanks for the reply marc. I will definitely try this out tonight with the bagged romaine lettuce that I have

Ruth, I can't ask my mother bc she is in Korea. I will have to wait a few weeks until I see her

.....and some weird greens that i have never seen before in my life...looks kind of like chrysanthemum...

Is that Water Spinach? Or Sea Spinach?

Or Sea Asparagus?

Google those...

nope none of those. I think when I go visit my mom and dad in July I am definitely bringing my digicam and I am taking photos of my mom's lovely korean garden. All I know is that most of the stuff that she uses for the "other" salad grows around my parents man made pond (very very tiny). I believe she called one of the greens "korean watercress" because it looks nothing like the watercress you see here. However they both have that peppery bite.

...in the summertime my mother always makes a delicious and refreshing salad that my family eats more as well a salad and not as a banchan.  Its usually romaine lettuce, red leaf lettuce, thinly sliced onions, and some julienned green onion.

My grandmother used to do something that sounds quite similar: she called it 'instant kimchi'

Yoonhi agrees. She took one look and said "instant kim chi". Most of the fixings for kim chi, but with lettuce swapped in, and served up cheerful and light.

Chrysanthemum leaves work really well with ssam. toss a leaf in with the lettuce wrap for a pleasing aroma.

So, Sheena, are we going to have a travelogue next month?

we can have a travelogue IF and only if I can figure out some way my digi cam can be hooked up to my brand new mac book. You see, I dont have the original software for my digicam, just the usb cord, and I don't know if I can upload photos on to my macbook. It would also help if I had working internet on my macbook. For now I am using my boyfriends super duper old (trust me this thing still runs on windows ME) pc.

SO if I can get all these things to work I will take as many photos of me stuffing my face at my parents house as I can. I mean you guys are the only ones who would enjoy seeing that.

SO if I can get all these things to work I will take as many photos of me stuffing my face at my parents house as I can.  I mean you guys are the only ones who would enjoy seeing that.

We would all love to see that, Sheena.

I'm no expert on the Mac Book or anything computer-related, but if your Mac Book has a card reader built in (and if it's new, I'd be surprised if it didn't), then you don't need software or a USB cable. Just eject the memory card from your camera and pop it into your computer and you should be able to retrieve the photos very easily.

If you don't have a card reader built-in, then I would go to the camera manufacturer's website and see if you can download the software there. Most of the larger manufacturers (Sony, Kodak, etc) have all of the software available online.

Please get this situation fixed because I want to see your travelogue! :raz:

holy freakin crap

I just tried loading the photos and it freakin worked

now all I need is internet on my macbook. I'm going to try to buy one of those airport thingys when I go see my parents

thanks to peter for the help and kbjesq.

staying on topic, I'm going to try out marc's recipe and tell you all how it compares to my mother.

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)

now all I need is internet on my macbook.  I'm going to try to buy one of those airport thingys when I go see my parents

I don't know what kind of thingy you are talking about, but again, if your computer is rather new, it may very well already have a built-in wireless connection. If you have internet service at home and a wireless router, then you should be able to pick up your internet on your computer without buying anything else. (Call your internet provider and ask them to walk you through the set up process). If you don't have the wireless router at home, you might want to get one, because it's very convenient to have your laptop connected to the internet.

With the wireless connection, your computer should detect free wi-fi in airports, Starbucks, hotels, etc.

If your computer by chance does not have built-in wireless connectivity, then you will have to buy a modem card (maybe that's what you are talking about?)

Sorry for this off-topic message and I'm no computer expert, but gosh, I'm sure that I'm not the only egulleteer that wants to see you eating in Korea next month! :wink:

warning!!! I'm not eating in korea next month

I'm eating in Maryland

sorry guys ): But I will be eating about 80% korean food and you get to see pictures of me crabbing

hey its better than nothing, right?

I do have wireless internet on my mac, because I can get free wifi at my college. However my boyfriend and I don't have wireless here at the apt we only have cable wan (this is coming from him). Maybe I should call comcast and ask them how to hook up the internet

eta: I am making my boyfriend call for me later today hehehe :raz: Since I'm making dinner he should help me out, right?

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)

I hope this works. Here's my first post to egullet that includes my own photos.

Instead of marc's recipe (sorry!) I decided to make zenkimchi's oi muchim recipe. I have a lot of cucumbers and I needed to use them up before they went bad

here's a photo of the ingredients I used. The gochujang looks scary, but at least its homemade

gallery_44829_4780_16985.jpg

here's a pic of all the ingredients minus the cukes all mixed up and ready to go

gallery_44829_4780_16348.jpg

salted cukes

gallery_44829_4780_34614.jpg

end product

gallery_44829_4780_31464.jpg

Anyways in the summertime my mother always makes a delicious and refreshing salad that my family eats more as well a salad and not as a banchan.  Its usually romaine lettuce, red leaf lettuce, thinly sliced onions, and some julienned green onion.  The dressing on the salad tastes like it has: gochugaru, salt, sugar, sesame oil, and some rice vinegar.  Does anyone know the name of this dish or the recipe for the dressing?

I often see a salad fitting this description (the romaine is also julienned) accompanying samgyeopsal at restaurants. Apparently it's called pajeori / pajuhri. But I have no idea if that's what you're talking about; the ones I've had serve to cut the fattiness of the samgyeopsal (the dressing's predominantly sour) but I don't know that I'd describe it as "refreshing".

Anyways in the summertime my mother always makes a delicious and refreshing salad that my family eats more as well a salad and not as a banchan.  Its usually romaine lettuce, red leaf lettuce, thinly sliced onions, and some julienned green onion.  The dressing on the salad tastes like it has: gochugaru, salt, sugar, sesame oil, and some rice vinegar.  Does anyone know the name of this dish or the recipe for the dressing?

I often see a salad fitting this description (the romaine is also julienned) accompanying samgyeopsal at restaurants. Apparently it's called pajeori / pajuhri. But I have no idea if that's what you're talking about; the ones I've had serve to cut the fattiness of the samgyeopsal (the dressing's predominantly sour) but I don't know that I'd describe it as "refreshing".

nope, that's not really a salad, its more of a condiment that goes in the ssam w/the samgyeupsal.

oh and doddie's reccomendation wasn't what I was looking for, but thanks anyways

I would still like to know the name of what I'm eating. :wacko:

I am looking at a vietnamese vegetable webpage and I found one of the random greens that my mom grows in the backyard and adds to her sald

"water parsley"

I wonder if they eat that in korea?

Sheena, my parents grew minari in the backyard for a couple years. Check Google for images of minari and you'll probably find your "Korean watercress." It's also good for adding to kimchee or for a mul kimchee in its own right (with maybe some mu and gochu garu).

Sugar from Stop and Shop! :) No Stop and Shops in Chicago, but I grew very familiar with the logo while going to school in western Mass.

sun, you better believe I'm buying stop and shop sugar....all sugar is the same (unless its organic or in the raw). (:

yeah there is some minari in my mom's salad, but also some random and weird greens I have never seen before in my life. when I see her I'll ask for the names, but she'll only know their korean names so I'll post those.

did you go to umass amherst? I'm going to umass boston now.

"random and weird greens" - Sometimes when I'm in a woodsy place or a place with a lot of weeds, I try to figure out if the plants I'm looking at are edible or not by comparing and contrasting them to various things I've eaten bc of my mother. :) But unless I know about the pesticide and fertilizer use in an area, I wouldn't take plants I know to be edible.

Most random greens get made into a banchan on their own, though, not a salad.

Yes, please do post the names! I'm curious.

Amherst College.

• 3 weeks later...