• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza

waylman

I swear to God, there is no good pizza in this city. I had a pretty good pie at Olympia on Denman awhile ago, but that's about it! Can someone please convince me that Vancouver isn't the worst pizza city in the world!?!?

I swear to God, there is no good pizza in this city. I had a pretty good pie at Olympia on Denman awhile ago, but that's about it! Can someone please convince me that Vancouver isn't the worst pizza city in the world!?!?

I second Amadeus . Nat's NY suits me fine too. Still, nothing here to match the Montreal pizzas of my childhood. The simple "All Dressed" from the pizza joint on my block, hand tossed with a superb sauce, great cheese - not too much, not too little. Nothing here comes close.

But - how do you prefer your pizza? Thick crust or thin? Saucy? Cheesy?

Good post.... I have not had a good pizza for sometime. Rocky Mountain is pretty good although it is Alberta based. Incendio in Gastown is a lot better than anything on the Drive.

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I think Firewood on Cambie is pretty good, and they deliver. My favourite pizza by far, however, is from Me 'n Ed's, but they are located in Burnaby/New Westminster.

The belly rules the mind.

I like Gastown Incendio too, especially the foccacia. must be the oldest brick oven in the city, (and the coolest looking) a leftover from Al Forno. I think it is actually wood fired, as opposed to most newer gas or gas assited forno ovens installed now. At home I order Gigi's from Broadway. I like it. When it's good, it's really good. I think it's partly because they cook it enough. Pizza can often be undercooked. It needs that 'golden' cheesey love on top.

I think Firewood on Cambie is pretty good, and they deliver. My favourite pizza by far, however, is from Me 'n Ed's, but they are located in Burnaby/New Westminster.

Me 'N Ed's? Gaaaack :laugh: Although I must admit they have improved significantly from the day when the pizza choices in Burnaby/New West were between them and Shakey's.

Firewood is right next door to where I work ... LOVE the smell of burning wood that wafts into the showroom around 3pm. Do them a favour. Order a pizza soon. I was talking to the manager today and he said biz was down about 25% with all the construction. I take home a couple a month, but tthey're good neighbours and I'd like to help them a little more.

A.

Can someone please convince me that Vancouver isn't the worst pizza city in the world!?!?

Come to Toronto

Agreed. No John's in Toronto or Vancouver. Sigh! Oh well thank god I can fly to NYC from Buffalo for dirt cheap. I also really do like Me 'N Ed's very much.

officially left egullet....

The only thing that I would call "good" pizza is Lombardo's.

I'd be one happy girl if they'd consider delivering.

Lombardo's have a special right now Med. Pizza $10 I believe, I might order one tomorow for lunch, since I work only a stones throw away. :raz: I have yet to try their pizza.

I may get stones for saying this but I think Numero Uno on Davis and Granville is pretty darn good at 2-3 in the morning, espcially their chicken pizza.

Edited by D90 (log)

I like Minerva's on 41st & Larch, especially the sauce. It's run by a Greek family, I believe. They also deliver but I think it's only within a certain area.

I like Sciue's italian pizza (corner of Howe and Pender). It is the thin slice variety with a wide selection of toppings (not your typical north american pizza topping. Tastes pretty much like pizza from Italy. The pricing is by weight, so it can get pretty expensive.

Avoid going there during the weekday lunch rush. The line can be >30 people long on a summer lunch hour.

The outdoor tables/chairs are great during the summer!

Not to rub it in... I am on business in NYC right now - had a suprsingly good pie from a chain Piola (one was topped with very fresh ricotta and arugula) and a surprisingly weak pizza from Mario Batali's Otto. His partnership with Nancy Silverton in LA - Mozza, was waaay better. I may try to hit John's before I go to the airport today.

Good to see some suggestions above for places in Vancouver.

Not to rub it in...  I am on business in NYC right now - had a suprsingly good pie from a chain Piola (one was topped with very fresh ricotta and arugula)

Bastard. Better bring me back a pie! :rolleyes:

A.

• 2 years later...

Nook on Deman: The crust is not going to win any big prizes, but the toppings are decent and the room is very pleasant. Probably my favorite place just to sit and relax over some very well done food.

Rocky Mountain Flatbread Company: Only redeeming thing about the place is the super child friendly policies. The crust is beerier than the carpet at a fraternity house and it looks like the hired Doug Henning to decorate the place. Posthumously.

Ah Beetz: The crust is complete heaven. Crisp and chewy with a delicous toasty taste. I think they do a two day rise, and it shows. Great sauce. The only thing stopping the pizza from being perfect are the toppings. They are not bad, but could be better.

I had a surprisingly delicious pizza at Epicurean Cafe (1st & Cypress). Incredibly thin crust (thinner than Lombardo) and just the right amount of topping. Mine had prosciutto and arugula.

Italian Kitchen does a good thin-crust pizza too.