• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

asian markets in milwaukee area?

i'm a fairly new resident living in kenosha, wi, south of milwaukee. there are no asian markets here. :shock: anyone have suggestions/locations for asian markets in the greater milwaukee area?

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

There's a decent Vietnamese grocery store in North central Milwaukee when I was living there three years ago. I think its on Appleton Ave (east side) north of Capitol Ave. I'm sorry I don't remember the name. If they still exist, they can special order (basically picking up in Chicago!) stuff you want that they don't normally carry.

I live in Wisconsin near you and have found only one Asian store that is still open at this time in Milwaukee worth going to and its a pretty sorry little store. It's on 16 st just south of El Rey Supermercardo. I did pick up some nice fresh galangal root and great thai basil there last Monday.

Mostly I go to Chicago-Dick

There are a handful in Milwaukee that I have visited.

Viet Hua around 49th and North- the place is huge and the selection is amazing if you can get over the fish smell. When I lived nearby I was here monthly. I really like this store.

Asian Mart on Old World Third street (I think it is still there).

Asia Market at Layton Bvd (aka 27th st) & National Ave (the strip mall on the NW corner). Very small. Not to impressive.

Anh Chau Oriental Market- 3170 S. 27th. - Very clean and well stocked. Highly recommended.

Explore the food, beverages, and people of Wisconsin EatWisconsin.com

There is an Indian store on North Ave. by Mayfair mall.  I've not stopped there yet, but I drive by it all the time.

Keep driving!

Very small, I think our local Woodman's now has a better Indian selection. Also watch out for non food grade mustard oil being sold as is. -Dick