• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: David Ross - Black Pearls of Gold

God save our country.  Right now on the Food Network in Spokane Rachel Ray is singing karaoke in Maui!  Kill me.

It's very interesting when you hear of programming in different parts of the country. I am currently watching Next FoodNetwork star, and I am on the west coast too. Not sure if Dish Network determines the difference or not.

God save our country.  Right now on the Food Network in Spokane Rachel Ray is singing karaoke in Maui!  Kill me.

It's very interesting when you hear of programming in different parts of the country. I am currently watching Next FoodNetwork star, and I am on the west coast too. Not sure if Dish Network determines the difference or not.

I'm not sure but it might. I have the local Comcast feed up here. The "Star" show is coming on our channel at 9p tonight. Maybe with Dish Network you are getting the East Coast feed? Rachel Ray is aggravating at all times.

Tonight is my last dinner of the week to post for you. I'm sad that our week is coming to a close. I've learned a lot from everyone and I hope you had some fun reading along with my journey this past week and that you enjoyed some of my writing and musings on food and cooking.

Thanks to SnowAngel for giving me the opportunity to write my blog.

And Little Ms. Foodie, I won't forget your huckleberries this Summer.

Here is the rack of lamb that I showed earlier. I sear the lamb in olive oil in a hot skillet for about 7 minutes on the fat side and then turn it over and put the skillet in a 450 degree oven to roast the lamb. I roast the lamb for about 15 minutes to medium-rare. I don't use a meat thermometer to test it for doneness, I just poke the lamb with my finger and I seem to know when it is done.

gallery_28661_4765_24693.jpg

Rack of lamb with fried potatoes and rhubarb chutney. I guess that says Northwest and Summer at the same time. The rhubarb chutney is tart yet sweet and has a hint of spice. The chutney is a wonderful condiment for rich lamb.

gallery_28661_4765_21738.jpg

I'm not done yet, I've got another post for you tonight.

I thought it would be appropriate to end a blog from the Pacific Northwest with a mention about James Beard.

You probably know that James Beard was a native of Oregon. I too am a native Oregonian even though I now live in Washington. I've always taken great pride in knowing that a man who became a legend in American cooking came from my home state.

One time back in the late 1960's, our family was meeting some cousins that were flying in from Wisconsin.

As we were walking into the Portland airport this large, bald-headed man in a huge black raincoat walked past. My Mother said "do you know who that was?" I was probably no more than 10 at the time so of course I had no idea who he was. Mother said "that's James Beard."

As I got older I learned who James Beard was and I also learned of the impact he made on how Americans ate at home and how we ate at restaurants.

Today I took photos of my small collection of books on Beard:

This paperback book was published in 1984 in conjunction with the Beef Industry Council. Beard got a lot of criticism for his commercial associations. In the case of his association with the Beef Industry he seemed to avoid the criticism. The cookbook is a collection of recipes from famous chefs using beef in Mr. Beard's honor. My Father worked for the Oregon State Department of Agriculture and he got this book for me through his association with the Oregon Beef Council.

gallery_28661_4765_14673.jpg

A wonderful photo of Beard that captures his spirit. Evan Jones wrote this biography of James Beard that was published in 1990. It is a very interesting read.

gallery_28661_4765_78873.jpg

Beard wrote this cookbook in 1981. The book was published by Alfred A. Knopf, the same publishing company who worked with Beard's dear friend Julia Child. I especially like Mr. Beard's chapter on 'Offal,' more commonly known as the "innards" of the animal.

gallery_28661_4765_116625.jpg

This cookbook was published by Beard's estate in 1993.

gallery_28661_4765_39157.jpg

This is the most cherished cookbook in my collection. James Beard wrote this cookbook in 1949. It is special to me because it was my Grandmother's-like Mr. Beard a native Oregonian. Grandmother bought Mr. Beard's cookbook in 1949.

gallery_28661_4765_92600.jpg

These photos depict some of the color illustrations in the cookbook.

gallery_28661_4765_30004.jpg

gallery_28661_4765_32788.jpg

gallery_28661_4765_1955.jpg

Finally, I close my blog about my life in the Pacific Northwest and my world in food and cooking with one of the last photos taken of James Beard in Oregon-a lone walk along Gleneden Beach where his family owned a Summer home for many years. The Oregon Coast gave Mr. Beard great pleasure and it was the place where he learned so much about the food and cooking of the Northwest.

gallery_28661_4765_39170.jpg

This has been a great blog, David!

One question: Is it unusual for a high-end restaurant like Guy Savoy to put 4 strangers together at a table? That struck me as very unusual.

Michael aka "Pan"

Magnificent blog David! I read your Las Vegas posts with rapt attention and avid gusto. I also positively drooled over your lobster tail recipe. I might try that soon. Thanks for blogging and I do hope you would do another one soon. Your writings are very enjoyable to read.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos