• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rehearsal dinner in Old City

phungi

A colleague is planning a rehearsal dinner in June 2008 and is interested in Old City locales.

A Thursday night, open bar or beer/wine, either a private room or an entire place. They have looked into Patuo, Spasso, and Lamberti's Cucina, but I offered to toss it out there to the eGulleters for ideas.

I belch, therefore, I ate...

There are better places for food, and I suspect because your colleague wants Old City the goal is to find someplace with an edge.

However, if the guests are from out-of-town and not adventurous eaters/restaurant-goers, it might be worth considering City Tavern for the kitsch value if nothing else.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I think FORK would be your best bet, period.

even though the room seats 40 and the party is for 70?

70 was a number referred to regarding the size of Tangerine's private room, not the size of the rehearsal dinner party.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I think FORK would be your best bet, period.

70 was a number referred to regarding the size of Tangerine's private room, not the size of the rehearsal dinner party.

actually the OP put that as the sub-subject.

My vote is for Positano Coast - they have the space and its really pretty

My vote is for Positano Coast - they have the space and its really pretty

I attended an event for about 100 at Positano Coast last year and I'm sorry to say that it was really, really terrible. The menu was very "generic catered event" and the servers and kitchen were completely unprepared for the (admittedly) challenging logistics of a large party.

Fork may be small for 70, but they have handled events for me really beautifully. Panorama also did a beautiful job, though their menu isn't exactly breaking new ground.

I'd actually recommend Cuba Libre, though. You can rent just the upstairs, or I believe they will curtain off the back dining area. They do a nice job with food and service for groups.

Ah, the classic 10 pound bag problem...

...very timely at the beginning of the summer! :raz:

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.