• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What were they thinking when they named it...

In the town I live in we had a grocery store called Dick's.  I swear I'm not making this up.....their grocery discount card was called the "Dick's Insider" card.  That got more than a few crude jokes but to top it all off they had a billboard as you came into town advertizing the Dicks Insider card followed by "Be sure to ask about our hot meat specials".  :laugh:  It's a wonder cars didn't drive off the road after passing it.  They ultimately changed it to just the Dick's card and mailed new ones out to everyone. 

Recently Piggly Wiggly bought out Dick's.  Thank God they didn't rename it Piggly Wiggly Dicks.  :wacko:  It's Dick's Piggly Wiggly. 

Cindy

I live in a small town with two small rival grocery stores. Being a corner store type of operation, they cannot compete with the big guys in the surrounding larger towns pricewise. One of these guys prided themselves in superior cuts of meat (as perhaps compared to the top chains...)

They put a commercial on our local 100 watt community radio station which ended with their slogan "you may beat our prices, but you can't beat our meat." This was maybe 20 years ago, but it still comes up at parties...

Reviving this thread because, in the course of a discussion on Korean fried chicken on the Pennsylvania board, a whole new category of "unfortunate" food names has entered the conversation:

Foods named for places that have no association whatsoever with the food in question.

This reminds me of a restaurant called Philly West I encountered somewhere on the Oregon coast a few years ago. It was closed at the time, so I couldn't get a look at the full menu, but if I remember correctly a sign in the window specifically mentioned the house specialty...

...clam chowder.

In the town I live in we had a grocery store called Dick's.  I swear I'm not making this up.....their grocery discount card was called the "Dick's Insider" card.  That got more than a few crude jokes but to top it all off they had a billboard as you came into town advertizing the Dicks Insider card followed by "Be sure to ask about our hot meat specials".  :laugh:  It's a wonder cars didn't drive off the road after passing it.  They ultimately changed it to just the Dick's card and mailed new ones out to everyone. 

Recently Piggly Wiggly bought out Dick's.  Thank God they didn't rename it Piggly Wiggly Dicks.  :wacko:  It's Dick's Piggly Wiggly. 

Cindy

I can vouch for Pebs on this one. We've spent some time in Galena and have shopped at Dick's -- it's not a bad store. We giggled, of course.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 10 years later...

I used to get a good laugh out of seeing Tucks brand crackers and Tucks brand medicated pads for hemorrhoids  in

someone's cart.  Hope they stored them in different rooms and kept the uses straight.

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

Untitled_design_2_x60@2x.png?v=1587919868

I suppose that any publicity is good publicity but I was told that the translation of "tökfej" is "prick-head"

That being said, the matcha items look really good

image.thumb.png.8c089647510821dfe74f710a36532380.png

• Haha 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.