• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

David Burke

Anyone been to his Vegas place yet? Any info?

No but I was at David Burke and donatella this week and it was outstanding. I don't know i was expecting but it is on the same level as the other fine dining spots in the city.

After looking at his Vegas menu it looks inviting so I will try it next week when I am there and report back. I am staying at the Venetian so I may be hanging out at the bar in the restaurant some during my stay as well.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a stay at the Venetian and had one of our better meals in Vegas at David Burke. I don't really watch food TV so wasn't really aware of who Burke is and what his food is all about. But in deciding where to eat before my trip I looked at his menu and read up on him and decided it was somewhere I just had to try.

My Burke experience came after meals at Joel Robuchon and Guy Savoy so I was ready for something a little different. The dining room is a visual delight. The centerpiece is a red hand blown glass sculpture with a water feature done by Dale Chihuly, who also did the lobby ceiling at the Bellagio. The tables are spaced far enough apart so things are comfortable and you can have private conversation.

We were treated very well by Leslie, who guided us through the menu and made excellent suggestions for a good David Burke experience. The executive chef is Troy Thompson and there was a tasting menu available with a wine paring. However there were none of the Burke signature items at all on the tasting menu so we opted to try a few from the menu. I tried the crisp and angry lobster to start and followed that with the duck. I enjoyed both dishes. I think the lobster would be perfect if it was a little less spicy but still liked it My companion had a good salad and sea bass selection. Several of the deserts looked appealing but since we were Burke virgins we had to try the cheesecake lollipop tree. I wondered beforehand if it was just a cute gimmick but it really was tasty and enjoyable and a visible treat.

I found that to be consistent with other dishes I saw coming out of the kitchen. Burke has a different take on tastes and presentations but his concepts are pleasing to the eye and the taste buds. I would have liked to try the lobster steak or the pretzel crusted crab cake, but there is always next time.

The bar and lounge area seats 50 and is a good place to hang out just for drinks of if you want to try some of the starter courses.

So for me it was a relaxing, excellent meal in a beautiful setting. Many people have to be foodies to enjoy Savoy or Robuchon but I can not think of anyone who would not enjoy the experience at David Burke. I will make it back each time I am in Vegas.

DaivdBurkelasvegas.net

phone: 702-414-7111