• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

40 hungry sailors

helen jackson

A friend of mine is catering for one of the Americas cup boats here in Auckland NZ.

She is cooking them breakfast each morning - well it is eaten at breakfast time but the content is similar to a main meal.

Lots of fish, eggs, beef, rice, grains, potato etc... and not too high in fat.

The challenge is keeping it varied and being able to produce the food with a domestic oven, a couple of stock pots and an electric frypan or two.

Does anyone have any suggestions of meals that she could make?

The title of this thread sounds like the subject lines of several e-mails I get each day advertising adult Web sites.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

A friend of mine is catering for one of the Americas cup boats here in Auckland NZ.

What nationality is the crew?

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Forty sailors sounds like quite a morning's work for any laddie or lassie...

I'd suggest starting with a Ducasse Olive Mill pasta (search for recipe in the NY Times last year). Briefly, pasta (gemelli, ziti, etc) cooked in chicken stock until it absorbs most of the stock. Shredded cheese, cream, chopped sausage and onions are added until it firms again. Add more stock. Can be made in advance and kept warm.

Grilled prawns / large shrimp cooked in the shell, perhaps grilled on the barbie in a salt and pepper basting. Roasted red peppers, cooked the same way. Added to a cooked vermicelli pasta, and served with butter / lemon.

Sausage or bacon cooked in advance, added to rice cooked in a chicken stock. Shredded carrots and broccoli added for flavor and color.

A chili (beef, perhaps pork, tomatoes, spices, beans) prepared in advance and served with fresh bread, or rice, or pasta, or more beans

Hardtack and a jar of rum....

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I'd suggest starting with a Ducasse Olive Mill pasta (search for recipe in the NY Times last year). Briefly, pasta (gemelli, ziti, etc) cooked in chicken stock until it absorbs most of the stock. Shredded cheese, cream, chopped sausage and onions are added until it firms again. Add more stock. Can be made in advance and kept warm.

This sounded good to me, so I went and purchased the article from The Times' archive service.

Basically it is dry pasta cooked like a risotto. But Ducasse's version has no cream or sausage. Instead it has chopped tomatoes, fingerling potatoes, onions and fresh basil or arugula.

I've never heard of cooking pasta this way, so I'm going to have to give it a try, maybe this weekend. Thanks for the tip!

Steak and egg burritos.

Fruit compote

fritattas

Potato waffles with bacon.

kedgeree

risottos

corn and smoked fish fritters ( held together with a basic egg and flour batter - served with sweet

chilli sauce on the side.

cornbread - potato bread

large savory muffins ( great to grab to go as well)

cheesey polenta with spring onions

This sounded good to me, so I went and purchased the article from The Times' archive service.

Basically it is dry pasta cooked like a risotto. But Ducasse's version has no cream or sausage. Instead it has chopped tomatoes, fingerling potatoes, onions and fresh basil or arugula.

I've never heard of cooking pasta this way, so I'm going to have to give it a try, maybe this weekend. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks. I've cooked it a number of times, and have been tinkering with the ingredients. I forgot the basil, and 86'd the potatoes to make it less starchy. You can use a raft of different spices, too. Stirring is very important.

You're correct that it resembles a risotto, I think AD even uses that reference, but it's been a while since I've seen the recipe.

Once it is done, you can cover it and keep it in a warm oven. I've never made it in a large volume, so I'd prob do 2-3 smaller batches and combine

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Fun to read of someone else feeding America's Cup sailors. I supplied the sailors of "Stars & Stripes" with pastries this summer...their trainer would allow them a once a week treat, their favorite being a simple coffeecake with brown sugar streusel. mmmm. sounds good. think I'll whip one up now for my mid-morning coffee.

as for meals, Red Beans and Rice with some tasty, spicy sausage (can you find andouille in new zealand?) would be a great way to start any day!

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Red Beans and Rice with some tasty, spicy sausage (can you find andouille in new zealand?) would be a great way to start any day!

I would have said no we can't get Andouille here until recently. But yep, you can get it here if you look hard enough :)

not sure how authentic it is though... what should a good andouille sausage be like ?

Helen, of all places you can buy it in Dunedin at the Meat warehouse in Hillside Rd. They make it themselves to what they say is an old original recipe. I am not sure if they will do a courier order for you to another place or not.

BUT, I lived in Christchurch for a good many years and a small resturant called Zydeco also had Andouille sausage on the menu, they obviously had a supplier there too.

It might pay to phone around a few butchers or even places like Verkerks ( that make all the salami etc ) for stockists, am sure you will find someone that makes it close to you. If you have a local cajun style resturant... you could phone them, they may know where you could get it from.

the afore mentioned cook of the "40 hungry sailors" here...

many thanks to you all for your thoughts :blink: all very much appreciated!

am looking forward to further ideas should you have any, and in the meantime will have a play with your suggestions, thanks again Helen and friends, best wishes , gretel :biggrin: