• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Proposed (by me) ban on wraps

Fat Guy

I had a most delicious wrap for lunch today...roast beef, smoked mozzarella, and yes, lettuce and tomato, but lovely crispy lettuce and fresh sweet tomato, with a little salt and pepper...  Mmmm.

I think all of you who don't like wraps should eat the damned panini (which I despise) and leave more for those of us who do like them.  :raz:  :raz:

I personally feel that you are making a mistake, that roast beef and smoked mozzarella are the golden coins with which wraps are buying your soul.

My objection to wraps is not their existence, per se. There are a large number of things - cats, greek food, Yankee fans- that I don't care for but that I don't see the need to ban or destroy. If we take such a course with wraps, however, history will condem our tolerance and mercy.

The problem with wraps is their use to those who see food, not as a comfort or as a joy, but as a fuel for the proletariat - like, say, my program director for example. In the hands of such men, the superficial appeal of the wrap that they "don't stink up the office," and "you guys don't make such a mess with these," has already allowed the wrap usurp the place long held by worthies such as pizza, chinese food and the revered "italian trough."

I think that when wraps really took off in the US it was at the height of the Atkins Diet craze. There was a largely incorrect assumption that wraps had less carbohydrates than sandwiches because the "bread" portion was thinner. But the fact that many were marketed with "healthy" fillings was an added appeal at the time.

Have I ever enjoyed a wrap? Yes - on several occasions. It is a good way to enjoy a portable hand held meal that includes healthy stuff such as rice and beans. You can easily eat a wrap with one hand while driving and create less mess than you would with a sandwich.

One might argue that wraps are just re-inventing the burrito. But in my area (small Northeastern rust belt city) there have never been any good taquerias and even today we have only one (which opened just a few months ago).

I'll agree that pre-made wraps are an abomination just as pre-made sandwiches are. But I don't think wraps are an inherently bad idea - just one that is nearly always poorly executed.

I like them. I find lunch/deli meat disgusting, so I pretty much only get vegetarian sandwiches when I'm out. I don't find them very filling and the rice in a wrap really adds bulk, and obsorbs the sauces really well so you have a strong flavour without the mess. All the wraps I've ever bought were wrapped in foil that you peeled as you eat it, so there is never any mess.

I don't see many people talking about rice in wraps, is this just a Vancouver thing? All the wraps I've ever had had rice as the major component.

I also prefer boneless skinless chicken breasts in sandwiches, so maybe I'm just crazy.

And what's wrong with a panini?  The crunch of the bread gives some texture contrast and the thing isn't loaded down with filler.

I called up Lean Cuisine and asked them why the bread in their frozen Paninis isnt healthier Whole Wheat. She read me some prewritten thanks for your suggestion

thing.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I don't see many people talking about rice in wraps, is this just a Vancouver thing?  All the wraps I've ever had had rice as the major component.

I hope this will not be taken as a softening of my previous views. I still hold that this is an issue around which the frying pan of liberty must be deglazed with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

I think, however, that once you add rice, the whole thing pushes over into the new-age burrito/fusion burrito camp. And those are not as bad.

I don't see many people talking about rice in wraps, is this just a Vancouver thing?  All the wraps I've ever had had rice as the major component.

I hope this will not be taken as a softening of my previous views. I still hold that this is an issue around which the frying pan of liberty must be deglazed with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

I think, however, that once you add rice, the whole thing pushes over into the new-age burrito/fusion burrito camp. And those are not as bad.

Honestly? The first time I saw the word "WRAP" being used was at Taco Bell. And their Wraps had rice. Anyone remember those? What were they called? After that, WRAPS started popping up everywhere WITH RICE, then the rice disappeared and we have the wraps of today.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

sorry, steve

i can't live without my sliced brisket wrap with chiffonaded lettuce, diced tomato and wasabi mayo from Hot Rod's http://www.hotrodsbbq.com/menupage.html.

homemade spedies with pita as a wrap.

john has his warm flour tortilla filled with soft scrambled egg and smoked salmon.

and the Warehouse Grill here in jefferson started me on the quest for the best buffalo chicken wrap....

as for those wraps sold from those big box stores .... BLECH!!!!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I had a most delicious wrap for lunch today...roast beef, smoked mozzarella, and yes, lettuce and tomato, but lovely crispy lettuce and fresh sweet tomato, with a little salt and pepper...  Mmmm.

I think all of you who don't like wraps should eat the damned panini (which I despise) and leave more for those of us who do like them.   :raz:  :raz:

I personally feel that you are making a mistake, that roast beef and smoked mozzarella are the golden coins with which wraps are buying your soul.

My objection to wraps is not their existence, per se. There are a large number of things - cats, greek food, Yankee fans- that I don't care for but that I don't see the need to ban or destroy. If we take such a course with wraps, however, history will condem our tolerance and mercy.

The problem with wraps is their use to those who see food, not as a comfort or as a joy, but as a fuel for the proletariat - like, say, my program director for example. In the hands of such men, the superficial appeal of the wrap that they "don't stink up the office," and "you guys don't make such a mess with these," has already allowed the wrap usurp the place long held by worthies such as pizza, chinese food and the revered "italian trough."

Damn you! You've caught me! I'm part of the great Wrap Conspiracy, long may they reign!

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Tortillas amazingly enough aren't the only flat bread in the world.  Lavash makes a much better wrapper.

I found some lavash at Trader Joe's yesterday. We were out all day today and that gave me the excuse not to cook a full dinner. Instead: my first wrap using lavash: dressed with sour cream and bleu cheese dressing, layers of pastrami and shredded fontina cheese with green onions and just-chopped lettuce to fill it out.

Thanks for the inspiration.

gallery_50351_4140_17667.jpg

edited to add: I guess I did something right. My wife and I split the one in the picture and then she asked me to make another one.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I hope this will not be taken as a softening of my previous views.  I still hold that this is an issue around which the frying pan of liberty must be deglazed with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Talk about a reduction!

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3