• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Troubleshooting Caramels

Elizabeth_11

I have made the chocolate caramels from the Candymaking book by Kendrick. They were pretty good.

Thanks, but I don't have the book, nor do I have easy access to it, so I'm limited to what I can find online.

Any comments about the recipes I linked to? Are they at all similar to the one to which you refer?

I have made the chocolate caramels from the Candymaking book by Kendrick. They were pretty good.

Thanks, but I don't have the book, nor do I have easy access to it, so I'm limited to what I can find online.

Any comments about the recipes I linked to? Are they at all similar to the one to which you refer?

2 cups whipping cream, divided

1.5 c corn syrup

2c sugar

1/4 tsp salt

3 oz unsweetened chocolate (I think I used 70%)

1/2c butter

butter 9" square baking pan

In 4q saucepot combine 1c cream, corn syrup, sugar, salt

Over medium heat, stir occasionally till until comes to a boil

Wash down crystals if present

Clip on thermometer

Stir occasionally till temp reaches 220F

Add chocolate & butter, stir constantly for rest of cooking time

Without letting boil to stop, slowly pour in last 1cup cream

Cook to 240F

Without scrapping pour into prepared pan

Allow to stand at room temp overnight

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

mrose: Thanks! It looks quite different from the caramel recipe I use (Kerry Beal's recipe), so I'm anxious to see how it turns out. Must make a trip to Costco, first, to get more heavy cream! I might try adding some yuzu essence to half the recipe. I just picked some up a couple of weeks ago, and I'm dying to try it--chocolate and yuzu...mmmm...

mrose:  Thanks!  It looks quite different from the caramel recipe I use (Kerry Beal's recipe), so I'm anxious to see how it turns out.  Must make a trip to Costco, first, to get more heavy cream!  I might try adding some yuzu essence to half the recipe.  I just picked some up a couple of weeks ago, and I'm dying to try it--chocolate and yuzu...mmmm...

The more I think about it, I'm not sure if I used this recipe. I probably used another one from that book which I like & does stick to your teeth. I might have used that one & just added 3 oz of chocolate.

If you want that one PM me, I probably shouldn't post a recipe from a book.

Edited by mrose (log)

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

mrose:  Thanks!  It looks quite different from the caramel recipe I use (Kerry Beal's recipe), so I'm anxious to see how it turns out.  Must make a trip to Costco, first, to get more heavy cream!  I might try adding some yuzu essence to half the recipe.  I just picked some up a couple of weeks ago, and I'm dying to try it--chocolate and yuzu...mmmm...

The more I think about it, I'm not sure if I used this recipe. I probably used another one from that book which I like & does stick to your teeth. I might have used that one & just added 3 oz of chocolate.

If you want that one PM me, I probably shouldn't post a recipe from a book.

As I understand it, ingredient lists are not copyrightable but methods / descriptions are.

So, you can quote the ingredients list verbatim but you have to use your own words for the instructions.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finally getting around to making chocolate caramels. I decided to go with the recipe on tartelette's blog (though the recipe originally came from a French blog), because it's more similar to Kerry's recipe and the technique I'm familiar with.

She says to cook the water, corn syrup, and sugar until it is "light golden brown" in colour before adding the cream. Does anyone have a temperature for "light golden brown"? I'm not very good with judging colours, and don't have enough experience working with sugar and caramel (I've only ever made Kerry's recipe).

I was thinking that if I used Kerry's recipe as a guide, this pre-cream stage should be cooked to 145C/293F. , but for this recipe, the final stage is cooked to 118C/245F, which is lower than Kerry's final temperature.

Do you think the first stage should be finished at a lower temperature? Or would 145C/293F be OK?

For additional background on the recipe (in case it makes a difference), the water, corn syrup, and sugar are cooked, then the cream and butter are added. Once the final temperature is reached, melted chocolate is poured in after taking the mixture off heat.

I'm finally getting around to making chocolate caramels.  I decided to go with the recipe on tartelette's blog (though the recipe originally came from a French blog), because it's more similar to Kerry's recipe and the technique I'm familiar with.

She says to cook the water, corn syrup, and sugar until it is "light golden brown" in colour before adding the cream.  Does anyone have a temperature for "light golden brown"?  I'm not very good with judging colours, and don't have enough experience working with sugar and caramel (I've only ever made Kerry's recipe). 

I was thinking that if I used Kerry's recipe as a guide, this pre-cream stage should be cooked to 145C/293F.  , but for this recipe, the final stage is cooked to 118C/245F, which is lower than Kerry's final temperature. 

Do you think the first stage should be finished at a lower temperature?  Or would 145C/293F be OK?

For additional background on the recipe (in case it makes a difference), the water, corn syrup, and sugar are cooked, then the cream and butter are added.  Once the final temperature is reached, melted chocolate is poured in after taking the mixture off heat.

The water, glucose and sugar won't brown until you get it over 300ºF (about 150ºC). I might take it to about 150ºC before adding the cream and butter. I might try two batches - one to 145 and one to 150 and see which you like most.

The water, glucose and sugar won't brown until you get it over 300ºF (about 150ºC).  I might take it to about 150ºC before adding the cream and butter.  I might try two batches - one to 145 and one to 150 and see which you like most.

Thanks! I was actually planning on making two batches (one with peppermint, and one plain), so I can definitely try both.

I'm hoping to try the yuzu one today, too, but that will depend on if I have any corn syrup left after my chocolate experiments (at Y800/$8 per bottle, after my current stock is gone, any more recipes calling for corn syrup will have to wait until March when my friends bring my some!).

I brought it up to 145C for the first batch, and they turned out fine. I was going to do the second batch, but I'm not 100% happy with the recipe I'm using. The recipe at tartlette calls for

100 gr. salted butter

3 gr. sea salt

50 gr. bitter sweet dark chocolate

20 ml. water

100 gr. light corn syrup

250 gr. sugar

200 ml. heavy cream

I like this recipe because heavy cream in Japan comes in 200mL containers, so I don't end up with leftover cream (not that that would be a bad thing, but I tend to use leftover cream in my cereal adding on the calories).

But the chocolate flavour is quite mild. I used Valrhona--60%, I think (I bought 60% because I was thinking of making a different recipe that called for chcoolate that was no more than 60% cacao, but then I went with the tartlette recipe, with which you can use up to 99% cacao chocolate).

So, is there a way to make these caramels chocolatey-er using the same 60% cacao chocolate? How much more chocolate can I add before the caramel doesn't set anymore? Or does that have nothing to do with the caramel setting?

By the way, I skipped the salt and added about 2 1/2 tsp peppermint essence. Mmmmm.... :smile:

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Try adding 50 grams of cocoa powder along with the 50 grams of chocolate.  It goes in with the cream and butter I would guess.

Will do! Does it matter if it's dutch process or natural? I'm guessing natural would be best, but what do I know?

Don't think it would matter much. The extract might be worth a try too.

Try adding 50 grams of cocoa powder along with the 50 grams of chocolate.  It goes in with the cream and butter I would guess.

Will do! Does it matter if it's dutch process or natural? I'm guessing natural would be best, but what do I know?

Don't think it would matter much. The extract might be worth a try too.

I have used chocolate extract in some dark chocolate truffles & it enhances the taste a bit.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

• 1 month later...

I made two batches of caramels this weekend.

Batch one was yuzu-flavoured made with somewhere between 1 and 2 teaspoons of yuzu essence. As I was licking the pan/spatula (after they had cooled, of course), my first thought was, "Ick." It reminded me of the way lemon pledge smells. Today, three days later, I finally tried some. It's good! I really like them, and I'm going to have to give some away or I'll end up eating them all.

I might have to try making some with yuzu juice and yuzu essence. Can I flavour caramels with fruit juice? How much should I add?

Batch two was chocolate-flavoured burnt caramels. I wanted to take some of the ideas I was given about making a more deeply-flavoured chocolate caramel. I added about 2T or maybe 1/4C of cocoa powder to the heavy cream and heated them together (like when making cocoa), and 1-2 teaspoons of chocolate essence after taking the caramel off the heat, in addition to the 50g of chocolate already in the recipe.

I think that should have been good, but for some dumb reason I also decided to take the caramel a little farther in the first stage (before adding the cream and butter). I think I took it to about 150 or 155C instead of 145C. The burnt caramel flavour would have been really nice with a plain caramel, but it does not compliment the chocolate at all.

About the cocoa--I thought it would mix better if I whisked it with the heavy cream, rather than adding it at the same time as the cream and butter. Was I wrong?

Oh well, I'll have to try again, anyway. I still have to make a batch of salted caramels, and a batch of peppermint-flavoured chocolate caramels. I'm tempted to do a plain batch of chocolate ones, just to see what the first batch should have been like. But I really like peppermint chocolate caramels!

I made two batches of caramels this weekend.

Batch one was yuzu-flavoured made with somewhere between 1 and 2 teaspoons of yuzu essence.  As I was licking the pan/spatula (after they had cooled, of course), my first thought was, "Ick."  It reminded me of the way lemon pledge smells.  Today, three days later, I finally tried some.  It's good!  I really like them, and I'm going to have to give some away or I'll end up eating them all. 

I might have to try making some with yuzu juice and yuzu essence.  Can I flavour caramels with fruit juice?  How much should I add?

Batch two was chocolate-flavoured burnt caramels.  I wanted to take some of the ideas I was given about making a more deeply-flavoured chocolate caramel.  I added about 2T or maybe 1/4C of cocoa powder to the heavy cream and heated them together (like when making cocoa), and 1-2 teaspoons of chocolate essence after taking the caramel off the heat, in addition to the 50g of chocolate already in the recipe. 

I think that should have been good, but for some dumb reason I also decided to take the caramel a little farther in the first stage (before adding the cream and butter).  I think I took it to about 150 or 155C instead of 145C.  The burnt caramel flavour would have been really nice with a plain caramel, but it does not compliment the chocolate at all.

About the cocoa--I thought it would mix better if I whisked it with the heavy cream, rather than adding it at the same time as the cream and butter.  Was I wrong?

Oh well, I'll have to try again, anyway.  I still have to make a batch of salted caramels, and a batch of peppermint-flavoured chocolate caramels.  I'm tempted to do a plain batch of chocolate ones, just to see what the first batch should have been like.  But I really like peppermint chocolate caramels!

Yes, you can flavor caramels with fruit juice. How much depends on the fruit.

I'm wondering if your burnt caramel might work better with Milk Chocolate rather than dark.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Yes, you can flavor caramels with fruit juice.  How much depends on the fruit.

I'm wondering if your burnt caramel might work better with Milk Chocolate rather than dark.

Will try yuzu with essence and some juice next time. I really like the yuzu ones, and they've also been the favourites of everyone I've offered them to. Oddly, my Japanese friends and co-workers say they would have never thought of yuzu caramels being good, but they love them.

I just tried another chocolate burnt caramel, after not having had one for several days, and they're much better now. I guess the flavours just needed to settle for a bit.

My chocolate peppermint ones got a little dark the first stage, too, (clearly, I need a new thermometer as well as a better-trained eye), but they're very tasty. I love chocolate and peppermint.

I might have time to experiment with one or two more caramel batches, but it's warming up in Japan, so I really only have a few weeks left of caramel season.

If I may ask, a recipe I found said to add fruit juice (in that case, it was frozen orange juice concentrate) at the beginning, with the sugar and corn syrup. Is that correct, or should I add it later?

Yes, you can flavor caramels with fruit juice.  How much depends on the fruit.

Will try yuzu with essence and some juice next time. I really like the yuzu ones, and they've also been the favourites of everyone I've offered them to. Oddly, my Japanese friends and co-workers say they would have never thought of yuzu caramels being good, but they love them.

I just tried another chocolate burnt caramel, after not having had one for several days, and they're much better now. I guess the flavours just needed to settle for a bit.

My chocolate peppermint ones got a little dark the first stage, too, (clearly, I need a new thermometer as well as a better-trained eye), but they're very tasty. I love chocolate and peppermint.

I might have time to experiment with one or two more caramel batches, but it's warming up in Japan, so I really only have a few weeks left of caramel season.

If I may ask, a recipe I found said to add fruit juice (in that case, it was frozen orange juice concentrate) at the beginning, with the sugar and corn syrup. Is that correct, or should I add it later?

You can add it either at the beginning or with the the cream, early you get a more caramelized flavour, later a fresher orange flavour.

I really like a hint of peppermint in a chewy caramel too.

You can add it either at the beginning or with the the cream, early you get a more caramelized flavour, later a fresher orange flavour. 

Thanks! I'll be using bottled yuzu juice, so I'll probably add it later. Unless I can find fresh yuzu that will give me some juice.

Ages ago you mentioned interest in the yuzu essence--if you want to try it, let me know and I'll bring some back to send you this summer. The essence really does make a nicely flavoured caramel. I think I used about 1 1/2 - 2 tsp for a small-ish batch, and it's perfect.

Thanks! I'll be using bottled yuzu juice, so I'll probably add it later. Unless I can find fresh yuzu that will give me some juice.

Ages ago you mentioned interest in the yuzu essence--if you want to try it, let me know and I'll bring some back to send you this summer. The essence really does make a nicely flavoured caramel. I think I used about 1 1/2 - 2 tsp for a small-ish batch, and it's perfect.

That would be fabulous. Maybe I should try a batch with the mustard essence I have? Chewy caramels that bite you back!

That would be fabulous.  Maybe I should try a batch with the mustard essence I have?  Chewy caramels that bite you back!

That would be interesting, to say the least! Given the popularity of wasabi-flavoured things these days (even ice cream!), mustard wouldn't really be all that different...but you'd need a very special group to try them (Chicago eG get together, perhaps?).

I can get matsutake (or some other kind of mushroom) essence, too (haven't figured out what people do with it, but I find it in the baking section of stores). If you want to try that, I'd be happy to pick it up along with the yuzu! Mushrooms and mustard...that could be an interesting combination!

That would be fabulous.  Maybe I should try a batch with the mustard essence I have?  Chewy caramels that bite you back!

That would be interesting, to say the least! Given the popularity of wasabi-flavoured things these days (even ice cream!), mustard wouldn't really be all that different...but you'd need a very special group to try them (Chicago eG get together, perhaps?).

I can get matsutake (or some other kind of mushroom) essence, too (haven't figured out what people do with it, but I find it in the baking section of stores). If you want to try that, I'd be happy to pick it up along with the yuzu! Mushrooms and mustard...that could be an interesting combination!

I didn't get a notification of your post, so sorry to be so late to reply.

Mushroom is great too, on the "Chocolates with that Showroom Finish" thread xdrixn is making a mushroom caramel that sounds very interesting.

Great idea to bring along all sorts of 'interesting' confections to Chicago.

That would be interesting, to say the least!  Given the popularity of wasabi-flavoured things these days (even ice cream!), mustard wouldn't really be all that different...but you'd need a very special group to try them (Chicago eG get together, perhaps?).

Mustard ice cream is actually quite tasty so caramels might be tasty as well. I've made Sam Mason's version of mustard ice cream from his Banana-Cocoa Raviolis with Mustard Ice Cream and Coffee Soil recipe. I didn't do the entire recipe (yet) because I didn't have the LM gellan for the raviolis but the ice cream is good. I ate it with sliced bananas and chocolate-coffee sauce just to get the feel of the flavor combination he was doing. Good stuff... eventually I'll do the entire recipe as it is supposed to be.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.