• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using Fresh Spinach

Bella S.F.

I never know when it is going to be silly question...

When a recipe calls for say 2 bunches of fresh spinach, stems removed, is it O.K. to use the baby spicnach leaves that come bagged, without all of the grit that you get with fresh bunches of spinach? I am talking about recipes where you are going to cook the spinach first. Does it seem to make a difference? (Why don't they just say __oz. of fresh spinach?) The bagged spinach is just so much easier.

Thanks!

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

In terms of quantity I think the bags are around the same volume. My feeling however, is that the bagged baby spinach definately has a less pronounced flavor than more mature spinach. For salad or other raw purposes that is not an issue, but if you are using it in a cooked prep you will lose out on flavor.

If you can manage to get the bagged stuff on the day it's delivered it's often perfectly acceptable. Since this doesn't tend to happen with any degree of regularity, it's more often completely unacceptable for anything other than chemistry experiments involving chlorophyl extraction.

In terms of quantity I think the bags are around the same volume. My feeling however, is that the bagged baby spinach definately has a less pronounced flavor than more mature spinach.  For salad or other raw purposes that is not an issue, but if you are using it in a cooked prep you will lose out on flavor.

I totally agree here. The baby spinach is lovely raw but lacks the "bite" of mature spinach and just doesn't hold up to cooking.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog