• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bones by Jennifer McLagan

Having only in the last year discovered mmmmmmmarrow, after learning to cook osso bucco, I have developed a fasctination with all parts of the animal. I want to try Everything! I just purchased the cookbook Bones, by Jennifer McLagan, and can't put it down. I find it a wonderful read and plan on attempting everything in it. Has anyone else bought and used this book? What are your thoughts on her ideas about bones, meat and all the wonderful edibles on the animals involved? I am enthralled by her reverence for the beasties. Please, someone tell me that I am not too odd here? :rolleyes:

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

By no means are you too odd!

I have to say that I was disappointed in this book. I found the recipes ordinary for the most part. The sections on stocks were repetitive -- after the third one, it seemed like padding -- and the anatomical diagrams lacked detail.

Having said all that, I hope you'll share more of your enthusiasm. Maybe you can change my mind!

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Please indulge me, I am a newbee to anything other than steak, roast, etc. the usual. I just finished reading The whole Beast, nose to tail eating, (as if you ever Finish reading any cookbook), and am venturing with both feet into the world of meat oddities. (to the average american palate, that is) My enthusiasm may seem child-like, because it is all so new and fascinating to me. I would welcome, with open arms and eager anticipation, (not to mention drooling) any books you would recomend to me. Please do! I am a willing student, and put myself in learned hands. :laugh:

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

A good cookbook for me is not necessarily a good cookbook for you (or anyone else) and vice-versa -- although we share a fondness for Ferguson. I encourage you to look through the Cookbooks & References forum; you'll find tons of recommendations there, for all kinds of books, and discussions about them.

But this is about McLagan's Bones. (I admit that the photography is very good.) Tell us more about what appeals to you -- have you tried any of the recipes? How did they turn out? Have you learned anything from the text?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I have to say that I was disappointed in this book. I found the recipes ordinary for the most part.

When I first heard about the book, "Bones", I was very excited. But when I saw the book in Australia (released under the title, "Cooking On The Bone"), I was disappointed because there wearn't any recipes that I hadn't seen elsewhere. It's not to say the recipes are bad, it's just that there's nothing new for experienced cooks.

Having said that, the book is a very good starting point for those who want to start learning about cooking their meat on the bone.

btw, Jennifer McLagan is from Australia, so despite her Canadian accent, she's one of ours! :smile:

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

Please indulge me, I am a newbee to anything other than steak, roast, etc.  the usual.  I just finished reading The whole Beast, nose to tail eating, (as if you ever Finish reading any cookbook), and am venturing with both feet into the world of meat oddities. (to the average american palate, that is) My enthusiasm may seem child-like, because it is all so new and fascinating to me.  I would welcome, with open arms and eager anticipation, (not to mention drooling) any books you would recomend to me.  Please do!  I am a willing student, and put myself in learned hands. :laugh:

You should look for "The Fifth Quarter: An Offal Cookbook" by Anissa Helou. Amazon.co.uk has it.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"