• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum, rum....

Malkavian

:angry: The LCBO carries El Dorado 21 year. I decide to spring for a bottle. My local store says "we don't carry the El Dorado line". Yes, I can see that. That's why I wanted you to order it. The store in a town an hour away that does carry the El Dorado line says "we don't stock the 21". Yes, I realize that as well. If you stocked it, I wouldn't be asking you to order it. grumble grumble grumble They should just add a system on the site so you can order what you want, pay for it with your credit card and have it shipped to your local store for ID and pickup. A strict "no refunds on online orders" policy would eliminate stores being stuck with stuff they don't want due to buyer regret and the system would eliminate not having access to things based strictly on employee laziness.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 8 months later...

Having never been a rum drinker, I inexplicably developed a sudden desire to try some out. With online shopping and Google allowing instant gratification, I ordered Cruzan Single Barrel Rum and Mount Gay Extra Old Rum earlier today.

I am just realising that I should probably have looked through eG first....

Are my choices a good start for someone who is not into Rum generally? Could I have done better? (keeping in mind that I did not want to spend a lot initially)

Thampik,

Cruzan SB and Mount Gay XO are both very good rums. I would add to your list:

Smith & Cross - about $27 here in Texas. Classic exotic Jamaican stuff. 114 proof.

La Favorite Blanc - about $30/liter. Gorgeous agricole white. 100 proof. Just about the distilled essence of grassy sugarcane.

and since we're at it, Neisson's Eleve Sous Bois. Also agricole, but nutty and buttery. Delicious.

El Dorado, either the 12 or the 15 (the 15 is about $37 here). Demerara style, heavy, burnt sugar, but round and incredibly complex.

Havana Club 7, if it's legal where you are

Montecristo 12 (if you can find it) or Zacapa 23 (especially the old wicker wrapped bottle). Guatemalan sweetie rums, but delicious.

Thanks,

Zach

Thampik,

Cruzan SB and Mount Gay XO are both very good rums. I would add to your list:

Smith & Cross - about $27 here in Texas. Classic exotic Jamaican stuff. 114 proof.

La Favorite Blanc - about $30/liter. Gorgeous agricole white. 100 proof. Just about the distilled essence of grassy sugarcane.

and since we're at it, Neisson's Eleve Sous Bois. Also agricole, but nutty and buttery. Delicious.

El Dorado, either the 12 or the 15 (the 15 is about $37 here). Demerara style, heavy, burnt sugar, but round and incredibly complex.

Havana Club 7, if it's legal where you are

Montecristo 12 (if you can find it) or Zacapa 23 (especially the old wicker wrapped bottle). Guatemalan sweetie rums, but delicious.

Thanks,

Zach

Second Smith & Cross - that stuff is in your FACE. Serve it over an ice cube or diluted. Makes a killer simple cocktail

El Dorado 12 is really good, but it's quite sweet and soft. If you like those Pyrat type rums, ED is a much better version.

I have to also throw my love for Pusser's and Appleton Extra in there

Thanks for the all the suggestions. Having done a quick scan online, most appear available here in the UK (no La Favorite Blanc or Neisson's Eleve Sous Bois), so if I like my initial foray into the world of rum, there's a few options to explore.

Prices seem a little out from US - the El Dorado 15 is about £40(approx $60).

Question I had on rum - are these really all without residual sugar (even for example the Cruzan Blackstrap)? Even the Lemon Hart 151 has such a sweet character that I always wonder.

Cruzan Blackstrap has molasses flavoring added after distillation. So far as I am aware, LH151 comes by its distinctive profile naturally.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Question I had on rum - are these really all without residual sugar (even for example the Cruzan Blackstrap)? Even the Lemon Hart 151 has such a sweet character that I always wonder.

Cruzan Blackstrap has molasses flavoring added after distillation. So far as I am aware, LH151 comes by its distinctive profile naturally.

Does that "molasses flavoring" include sugar?

Does that "molasses flavoring" include sugar?

Molasses is about 50% sugars so if they are using real molasses, as seems likely, rather than some sort of artificial flavoring, then they would definitely be including sugar.

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

My understanding is that it is a natural flavoring derived from molasses, not actually molasses. Certainly there is some apparent sweetness in the product but not what you would expect from adding straight molasses to the rum. Fair warning, we are teetering on the brink of my knowledge on the subject, and even this post includes some amount of informed speculation.

I still think it's a lovely product, especially for the price.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

My understanding is that it is a natural flavoring derived from molasses, not actually molasses. Certainly there is some apparent sweetness in the product but not what you would expect from adding straight molasses to the rum. Fair warning, we are teetering on the brink of my knowledge on the subject, and even this post includes some amount of informed speculation.

I still think it's a lovely product, especially for the price.

I quite agree! My go to for a Dark and Stormy and its variations. No idea if they add molasses, which I suppose might be a bit impractical, or a molasses flavoring as you note which seems reasonable. Gotta think a little extra sugar comes even with a molasses flavoring but I certainly don't know for sure.

Tasty either way.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Cruzan Blackstrap is intense. More than a splash and it will run over, trample, and dominate any drink you put it in, so bear that in mind.

Try shooting it, that's an interesting experience...

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to slow down on the uneducated impulse buys a little so I'm going to ask about this one. It looks like the LCBO is picking up the St. Vincent Sunset Very Strong rum. All 169 proof of it. My question: is there any real reason to add this to the cabinet? I don't care about high proof just for the sake of high proof so this stuff needs to have something going on that makes it worth getting before I'll have any interest. I can already get Bacardi 151 if I just want jet fuel.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 years later...

No.   Less than no.

Thank you sir. I already passed on it but it's good to know that I don't have to regret that decision.