• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lollipops & Suckers

gfron1

The recipe I have calls for:

1 C. Sugar

1/3 C. Light Corn Syrup

1/2 C. Water

1/2 t. Flavoring

Can I substitute a flavored syrup like my Armenian sour cherry syrup? I have all sorts of fun syrups but I need to know if they would work. I'm open to any recipes.

Thanks.

The recipe I have calls for:

1 C. Sugar

1/3 C. Light Corn Syrup

1/2 C. Water

1/2 t. Flavoring

Can I substitute a flavored syrup like my Armenian sour cherry syrup?  I have all sorts of fun syrups but I need to know if they would work.  I'm open to any recipes.

Thanks.

I'd substitute it for the water and leave the corn syrup. It serves to inhibit crystallization.

• 1 year later...

I guess I would rather look foolish asking a question...than apologizing later for getting it wrong.

It's OK to start making hard candy lollipops for Christmas now, isn't it?

Thanks. :rolleyes:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I guess I would rather look foolish asking a question...than apologizing later for getting it wrong.

Thanks.  :rolleyes:

Yep - I always make my hard candy anytime from late November and it's fine. Just store airtight.

Thanks.   :rolleyes:

Yep - I always make my hard candy anytime from late November and it's fine. Just store airtight.

Thanks Kim. :wub: The lollies are to be my contribution to a local attempt to provide a Christmas for folks in difficult times.

I made the first ones today and had such fun! I love looking at the light through the colored candy. Never grow too old for some stuff.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Question: does anyone know how to make whatever is used to decorate hard candy lollipops? :huh:

I know you can buy little ready-made doodads which you can stick onto a cookie, cake, or even a lollipop which is not too set. The little Christmas ones I bought today, Betty Crocker, are made of :sugar, egg white solids, vinegar, sodium benzoate and colorings. They can withstand the hot temperatures and won't mush if you touch them as will the various prepared icings and gels in a tube.

I would like to know if there is a way for me to make some stuff to add decorations to my hard candy lollies. (Moab has very few doodads for sale. Moab is NOT a place to buy anything. In fact, Moab does not have a Wal-Marts.) Maybe even write on a name.

I have tried to Google this in every which way with no results. :sad:

Thanks. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I suspect that royal icing decorations would probably work.  They harden nicely.

Thanks. I've never made royal icing, and in fact, don't really even know what it is. But I shall learn. :wink:

Thanks again. You always do come through with an answer.... :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.