• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Correct way to store salad greens

Qwerty

What are the thoughts on different ways to store salad greens? Seems like everyone I talk to has a different way. I'm mainly talking in a professional setting, but anyone with ideas is of course welcome.

My way--cut, wash 2 or 3 times, spin dry, then store in a covered container (lexan or a hotel with lids) with dry paper towels lined on the bottom and every few layers. This way, the paper towels absorb any residual wetness and keep the greens dry (which I always thought was the point).

I've been other places where they wash/dry, but then put it into a pan with a wet towel over it.

Some people cover, some don't.

What is the consensous for best way to do it? Personally, I like the way I was taught and described above, because it seemed to work very well.

the goal with greens is keeping moisture on the inside of the leaf (which prevents wilting), but keeping it away from the outside (surface moisture leads to cell breakdown and spoilage). almost all of the post-harvest people (the folks who really study this stuff) recommend storing in a tightly closed plastic bag and only washing and drying just before using. if the greens are really water-soaked when you get them home (overactive misters), you'll need to dry them out really well. a paper towel in the plastic bag will help absorb any excess moisture.

My own method has been to simply leave greens in the container in which they were purchased/bagged, then to wash right before use. For storing washed greens, I've been shown the technique of layering with moist paper towels in a plastic bag - not pressed tightly to remove all the air. Both have their flaws - YMMV.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large