• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strawberry Pie

jende

I just bought 2 quarts of beautiful organic strawberries at the farmers market, and I'd like to make a strawberry pie. I've never had luck with the recipes I've used in the past -- they seem to add too much sugar, gelatin, etc. and the strawberries get lost in the mess.

Any ideas for how to make a very simple pie that lets the strawberries shine?

Fresh Strawberry Pie

1 pre-baked 9" pie shell

3 c or more perfect fresh strawberries

1 c sugar

1 c water

3 Tbsp cornstarch

1 c crushed fresh strawberries

1 tsp fresh lemon juice

whipped cream

Wash and hull berries and arrange in pie shell, stem side down.

For glaze, combine sugar, water, and cornstarch in medium-size pan and cook until mixture is clear. Add crushed berries; bring to a boil and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and add lemon juice and a little red food color, if desired. Cool glaze completely, then spoon over the berries in pie shell.

Chill 2-3 hours and serve with whipped cream.

Enjoy! :wub:

Fresh Strawberry Pie

1 pre-baked 9" pie shell

3 c or more perfect fresh strawberries

1 c sugar

1 c water

3 Tbsp cornstarch

1 c crushed fresh strawberries

1 tsp fresh lemon juice

whipped cream

Wash and hull berries and arrange in pie shell, stem side down.

For glaze, combine sugar, water, and cornstarch in medium-size pan and cook until mixture is clear. Add crushed berries; bring to a boil and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and add lemon juice and a little red food color, if desired. Cool glaze completely, then spoon over the berries in pie shell.

Chill 2-3 hours and serve with whipped cream.

Enjoy!  :wub:

This looks like a good start, but I'll probably cut back on the glaze because the strawberries are already very sweet. Thanks to all who replied. I'll report back.

maybe since the strawberries are so sweet, they need a counterpoint. How about making some lemon curd and putting it at the base of the prebaked pie/tart crust and then arranging whole strawberries on the top. Perhaps just lightly dust with powdered sugar, or melt some jam and brush onto the berries.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe