• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Arrival of Chef Ryan Poli

It's been known for quite some time that Chef Ryan Poli (formerly of Butter in Chicago) is headed to Scottsdale soon.

Does anyone have any idea when/where/what the restaurant will be?

I'm sorry to have missed Chef Poli's cooking in Chicago, but I look forward to eating with him in the near future down in sunny Arizona.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

The last I heard he was in spain doing stages. I have always wondered what the atraction in arazona was for him after he did well in a pretty big market like chicago.

Edited by lvtxn (log)

The last I heard he was in spain doing stages. I have always wondered what the atraction in arazona was for him after he did well in a pretty big market like chicago.

Yeah, Chicago's a big market but that only makes it harder to stand out. In the Phoenix area, the market is smaller but it's still emerging. In fact, some would describe it as "wide open." There are a lot of higher-income families, retirees, etc. that make for a very receptive audience -- especially because of the relative lack of choices in the area.

For a stand-out chef like RP, there's a chance to gain huge success in Scottsdale and also develop a loyal following much larger than could ever be possible in Chicago. And, from what I have heard, chef Poli will enjoy an equity share of the restaurant, which also sweetens the deal immensely for him.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an Email from Ryan last week. His Arizona restaurant is just getting finalized and will have a late fall opening. Yes, he has been in Spain the last few months. And yes, he will be missed in Chicago.

• 6 months later...