• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

saddle river inn

Lima Bean

Tommy....I think the reviewer was cleverly using the colors to enhance the story, or do you believe that lamb should be..."green"?

no, i don't.

The perfectly seared lamb tenderloin ($35) was like an autumn preview, with the meat's rosy red flesh standing out among the browns, oranges, yellows and greens of tiny Pardina lentils with finely diced carrots and a pile of yellow and green beans.

do you really believe that the reviewer thinks that lamb should be green? or, more to the point, do you think the above passage suggests as much?

i'll break it down as far as my understanding goes:

"the meat's rosy red flesh...among the browns, oranges, yellows and greens "

lamb - red

lentils - brown

carrots - orange

yellow beans - yellow

green beans - green

Who knows what makes people who are serious about food like one place or another, when all's said and done. I think I'm a bit serious about food, and I have no problem with SRI, I love it. Cafe Panache, well, I used to adore it, the last three times I was there, it left me cold. Latour in Ridgewood, I've had many a great meal, but some have told me I'm wrong. Petite Chateau in Bernardsville, I think is a great experience. Last time I was there I loved it, however, my friend, who is also into food, hated it. My lobster rolls? Well, I'm so sick of looking at lobster every week, I'll personally pass!

Going back to the review, you need to realize a few things (since I used to be a critic for The Record). A reviewer is basing visits on a few things. I remember Pat Mack saying to me that no matter what the restaurant, assume that you are there to celebrate an occasion. That money is tight, and this is where you chose.

Perhaps the SRI menu would become stale if I ate there every Saturday night. I don't. It is an "occasion" restaurant for me. So, to me, its just terrific.

• 1 month later...

I just had my first visit to SRI this past weekend and thought the food was excellent. I had the foie dish as a starter and it was the best foie I've ever had, perfect with roasted pears and fall vegetables. I had the filet of beef for my main course, and it too was among the best steaks I've ever had, with a classic bernaise sauce. I tasted the chateaubriand from a friend's plate and it was very good as well. Yet, the desserts did not impress me. I had the passion fruit tart, and while well-made, it did not "hit the spot." I was very surprised there were no chocolate items that usually follow steakhouse menus, such as a molten chocolate cake or creme brulee, either of which I would have happily enjoyed that night.

Is the SRI's menu dated? Sure, but a kinder description might be "classic." As long as the food is well prepared and service is excellent, SRI will continue to find customers for special occassions. Its not going to be an everyday destination and maybe its owner doesn't want it to be.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Our culinary dinner at SRI was extremely enjoyable. Han's food match with our wines was impecable. One appetizer, an hor d'oeuvrre called Lobster Croquettes with Spicy ginger Aioli, was phenomenal.

My wife and I went back again just after New Years. Again a perfect food, service, ambiance evening. The Christmas decorations were beyond beautiful. They were sitting patrons until close to 10PM. Per Anike the hostess they are taking reservations 4 weeks out and weekends usually book out quickly.

I also sent friends there. They enjoyed their dinner so much they rebooked for a family party prior to Christmas. Every thing according to them went perfectly.

I just don't get what started this thread, and "not the best anymore" seems inappropriate. Sorry.

Viejo

"A dry crust of bread eaten in peace and quiet is better than a feast eaten where everyone argues" Proverbs (17:1).