• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ in Houston

Stephanie

I'm going to Houston in early November for a friend's wedding. Flying in Friday afternoon, "girls brunch" with bride & friends Sat. noon, wedding Sat. evening, leaving Sun. AM early. I'll be arriving in Houston just in time for dinner Friday night and am looking for good BBQ not too far from the medical center/Rice campus, where my hotel is. I won't be renting a car, so it has to be taxiable but not way out in the hinterlands. Recommendations?

i am going to houston, too--it sounds like i will be there at about the same time, visiting friends for the weekend. in previous trips we have eaten at Otto's and Luling City. i liked both, and tried not to be put off by the Otto's "George Bush Likes to Eat here" hype. it was still pretty tasty. eating Q in houston i have earned to appreciate "bark" and red-hot sausages.

goode's was good.

What a detailed and verbose report. Thanks.

people know that i have good taste and therefore that comment should suffice. however, perhaps someone with extra time on their hands can describe the food. i, clearly, am a very busy man and have no time for such details.

oh

we'll have to see if our plans intersect.  if so, i'd love to meet.

my husband and i are visiting friends who will undoubtedly have many plans.  i'll post ya.

Stella, I will be arriving in Houston around 4:45. I should be at my hotel by 6:00, and it appears it's only a couple of miles from the 5109 Kirby branch of Goode's.

Let me know more as we get closer to 11/8.

There are several "restaurants in Houston" threads that you can read for very good information and different opinions.

Cafe Annie has engendered mixed opinions here, but it is the most famous restaurant in Houston right now, for "fine dining."

Ninfa's is a Texas chain. The reason it's a chain is because the original Mama Ninfa's in Houston was such a smash hit, and it is still the favorite of many, many people. If you chose to try it, be sure you go to the original Mama Ninfa's on Navigation St.

Bossa is kinda trendy, but really good Brazilian food.

And, there's a Middle-Eastern restaurant that has good Syrian and Lebanese food, which I shouldn't even mention, because I've forgotten the name. But, I figure, maybe someone else can hop in here, if it sounds interesting to you.

So, November eh? Huuuuummmm :hmmm:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thanks for the restaurant tips, Jaymes, but since I will only be able to have one non-wedding related meal during my stay I wanted to sample some really good Texas BBQ. (I will be having Tex-Mex at the "girls-only" brunch the bride is having on Sat. before the wedding.) Do you have any favorite BBQ places?

I'd agree with the consensus for Goode's. Especially with your location. Other choices are Drexler's and William's Smoke House. But if I were you, with limited time and a taxi drive, I'd opt for Goode's.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thanks for the restaurant tips, Jaymes, but since I will only be able to have one non-wedding related meal during my stay I wanted to sample some really good Texas BBQ.  (I will be having Tex-Mex at the "girls-only" brunch the bride is having on Sat. before the wedding.) Do you have any favorite BBQ places?

Didn't really intend to put that information in this thread. There have been several "restaurants in Houston" threads lately, and I intended to put that info into a different one of them.

• 1 month later...

I will definitely agree with the consensus that Goode & Company is just the thing. I usually get the beef and the Czech Sausage (which has a sweet component.) The japeño bread is really interesting, as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who replied. I blew off the rehearsal dinner and ventured to Goode Company and got the combo brisket/Czech sausage platter (great recommendation TommyBB) with a Shiner Bock. Passed on the pie as the slices looked huge. Loved the cafeteria seating outside and especially that wonderful burning wood smell!