• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee Art

Allura

I thought this video might be of some interest. Hearts in a cappucino would be too easy for that artist. :biggrin:

FYI: It has almost no sound, so it would be safe for work watching while muted. And, save your sanity and avoid the comments on that site *shudder*

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

My latte art has been getting better lately.  Hearts are a piece of cake but I'm still having some trouble getting a clear rosette.

That's a very nice rosette, nothing to slouch about! :cool: It *might* be a little more clear if you draw though pattern with a straighter pull...?

My latte art has been getting better lately.  Hearts are a piece of cake but I'm still having some trouble getting a clear rosette.

That's a very nice rosette, nothing to slouch about! :cool: It *might* be a little more clear if you draw though pattern with a straighter pull...?

I'm pretty sure the pour is straight down the mug, but the latte is swishing back and forth while I'm trying to draw... Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure the pour is straight down the mug, but the latte is swishing back and forth while I'm trying to draw... Any ideas?

Yeah... I have an idea.... try standing still in the kitchen while you're pouring instead of doing it in the passenger seat of snazzy little British sports car whilst your wife is driving you around the hairpin turns of some mountain pass at breakneck speed. :wink:

Have you thought of starting there?

Yeah...  I have an idea....  try standing still in the kitchen while you're pouring instead of doing it in the passenger seat of snazzy little British sports car whilst your wife is driving you around the hairpin turns of some mountain pass at breakneck speed.  :wink:

Have you figured out a way for me to plumb my espresso machine in to the Lotus? That'd give me all sorts of excuses... My latte art would have been better, but I was stuck in traffic. No officer, I don't know how fast I was going, I was making myself a macchiato...

Have you figured out a way for me to plumb my espresso machine in to the Lotus?  That'd give me all sorts of excuses... My latte art would have been better, but I was stuck in traffic.  No officer, I don't know how fast I was going, I was making myself a macchiato...

Not sure how to do that but there must be a way. French NASCAR driver Jean Girard (played by Sacha Baron Cohen), in the movie "Talladega Nights", gets a bit miffed when the sketchy hero Ricky Bobby bumps his car from behind during a race - because it caused him to spill his machiatto (at 200 mph while he was also reading Camus).

Yeah...  I have an idea....  try standing still in the kitchen while you're pouring instead of doing it in the passenger seat of snazzy little British sports car whilst your wife is driving you around the hairpin turns of some mountain pass at breakneck speed.  :wink:

:rolleyes:

/funneh!/

Why is your latte still swishing so violently as to ruffle the pattern? maybe balance the edge of the cup on the counter when you first tip it to draw... that way you'll be a bit more gentle when you set it down? Or it could be a problem of foam consistency... but yours looks good from the photo...

Why is your latte still swishing so violently as to ruffle the pattern? maybe balance the edge of the cup on the counter when you first tip it to draw... that way you'll be a bit more gentle when you set it down? Or it could be a problem of foam consistency... but yours looks good from the photo...

It isn't swishing violently, it's more like it swirls away from the center of the mug to the back then around the sides. My art frequently gets partially eaten by the swirling milk.

• 2 months later...

I saw this today and was intrigued by the beautiful presentations. Latte Foam Art

I've never gotten so much as a decorative swirl on a purchased coffee, so clearly I over-spend for coffee at all the wrong places. :wink:

(Or maybe its because I always get it to go, with that white plastic lid... :hmmm: )

I remember at least one foodblog in the eG Forums that showed foam art on the many daily cups of coffee - I think the shape being perfected was a heart.

Does anyone get pretty coffee like this when they go out? Where do you go?

What pretty pictures get drawn in the foam on your beverage of choice?

I see some folks even make their own.

(Does anyone do this with beer? I think I might like a foam leaf on my Guinness).

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I've never gotten so much as a decorative swirl on a purchased coffee, so clearly I over-spend for coffee at all the wrong places.  :wink:

(Or maybe its because I always get it to go, with that white plastic lid...  :hmmm: )

Does anyone get pretty coffee like this when they go out? Where do you go?

A coffee drink will always be less tasty in a paper cup than in a warmed china cup, and customers more concerned with convenience than optimizing their coffee flavor are likely to get what they value. That said, I've seen a few baristas make simple art served in a paper cup and hand it over uncovered.

If your coffee shop has a drive-through window, or very limited seating, you're unlikely to get latte art (or good coffee, really). I'll warn you, though, once you taste really good coffee in china from a barista that cares, it might be difficult to go back to paper cups.

(Does anyone do this with beer? I think I might like a foam leaf on my Guinness).

Sure, the second half of the pour can have foam art that usually stays legible to the last sip -- I've gotten them with my name, initials, the pub's logo. Legend says that if a 4-leaf clover is drawn on top, they're asking for an IRA donation.

-jon-