• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jerry's Makeover

Double 0

I was at Jerry's yesterday and they were in the middle of a makeover. They have taken all the wine out of the front and setup a larger wine area in the back. The Deli counter remained in the same place, but they have moved the pastries to the back and have slightly enlarged the area. The overall feel is alot more open. The problem I have with the new look is the lost feel of discovering something new and different that I always had when I've gone to Jerry's. Btw I didn't check the ceiling. :laugh: I was at Balthazar also It seems to me that their quality has slipped. For the prices that they charge there shouldn't be anything stale. When I got home and tried the rolls and danish I bought it was all stale. I'll be making a phone call today.

Edited by Double 0 (log)

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Is this Jerry's in Englewood? Just curious.

And a bit OT, does anyone else find those pink links really annoying? They seem to have nothing to do with what's been posted most of the time.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I'm talking about Jerry's in Englewood, on Dean ST, down the block from Balthazar.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Is this Jerry's in Englewood?  Just curious.

And a bit OT, does anyone else find those pink links really annoying?  They seem to have nothing to do with what's been posted most of the time.

Yes that's irritating when the location is left out by the poster. Very common though.

Yes those pink Amazon associates "pink links" are annoying because the Amazon (egullet just links to it at the bottom of each page) javascript is very inaccurate. But egullet will make about 10 cents if you click and buy what is advertised.

Your niece anecdote made me laugh out loud. thanks.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

The real turn-off to Jerry's in Englewood, for years, has been the ceiling. Peeling, chipping paint, loose insulation, an absolute mess, and you always wonder if those paint chips fall on the food, and do they have any lead?

Jerry's has moved the place around on the ground level many times, on a fairly regular basis. A real makeover would be the ceiling, I don't know how it gets past the health dept. (Guess they don't look up).

I have my doubts that the ceiling is going to be improved. A relocation of the ground departments is pro forma.