• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tequila Tasting at the Beach

Chezkaren

Just found out that we are going to be doing a Tequila Tasting this summer at the beach. I'm not in charge of the tequila aspect but, instead, food. I'm not even sure if this is the correct forum to be posting in but I certainly hope someone out there can offer me some suggestions.

We're planning on tasting 6 to 7 different tequilas and I'm looking for complimentary foods to accompany them. My past tequila drinking never involved food so I'm at a loss. I think they're only including me in the tasting because I'll be making the food! My only restrictions are that 1 person is allergic to fish but can eat shellfish...weird, I know.

Can anyone help? Also, anyone have a favorite tequila that we should include in our mix?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Karen

Karen,

I found Milagro tequila two years ago. It is one of my favorite spirits. (Think a shot glass and the bottle, a cold beer, a dish of spicy peanuts, a few limes, latin jazz and a summer sunset.) Once, I paired it, quite on accident, with an amazing chicken mole. It was fantastic. If you're thinking about small tastings with each tequila, mole would be an easy dish to downsize.

Cheers,

Gregory

Corazon Reposado is my fave lately.

Siembra Azul is imported by a local restaurateur here in Philly. The entire line is delicious but the Anejo really knocked me out. You could sip it like Cognac.

Cabo Wabo is an old standby and Sammy Hagar makes some pretty good tequila.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Can anyone help?  Also, anyone have a favorite tequila that we should include in our mix?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Karen

Don Julio reposada is an excellent upscale brand of tequila. If you can find it Don Fernando is even better. It's probably the smoothest tequila I think I've ever had the chance to sample. It's also nicely flavored, most likely because it's aged in French oak barrels previously used for chardonnay.

As for food, I think tequila compliments many foods. Keep it simple and keep it light. Seafood tostadas or cocktails (marisco coctales), grilled lobster halves, grilled chicken with a citrus based marinade, sauce or glaze or pork ribs with the same citrus based flavoring.

Well, for a tasting, most people opt for relatively bland food, more to serve as a palatte cleanser than to provide contrast for the food. Luckily, mexican cuisine features some very simple, yet delicious choices. Things like quesadillas and refried beans. One dish that combines elements of both, and is easier to eat, is molletes, which are simply toasted bread with refried beans and melted cheese. It is usually served for breakfast, but i think it works anytime.

For the beans, slowly cook some dry beans (preferably canary beans, frijoles canarios) overnight with onion, salt and butter. Put them in a pan with some of the liquid and mash with a potato masher or hand blender or put them in the blender. Then, split bolillo or telera rolls, toast and butter them, cover with beans and a nice melting cheese (queso Chihuahua, if it's available in your area, if not perhaps Quesadilla), and toast until the cheese melts. Top with a simple salsa if you like, but go easy on the chile.

If bland is not what you are looking for, then the sky's the limit. Queso fundido, ceviche, sopes or tlacoyos, chicharrón, rajas, and heartier dishes like carne asada, tinga, pescado Veracruzano or cochinita pibil. The list goes on and on and on...

For Tequila, make sure you have something from El Tesoro de Don Felipe in the tasting. I second the recommendation of Reserva de la Familia, but I'm not so crazy about Corazón or Milagro. Other well-respected brands are Herradura, Casa Noble, 1921, Lapis, Espolon, Centinela and Chinaco, to name a few.

I used to bartend at a tequila-focused bar and have a few favorites to add to the mix:

On the expensive side, I love Don Julio 1942. When it is poured into a brandy snifter the vanilla aroma is amazing (although if "training wheels" - limes and/or salt - come near it, it is not the same)

Delicious on the blanco side is El Tesoro Platinum. I'm not a fan of the El Tesoro Anejo though.

Let's see if I can help a little more. Personally, and I don't know if you were even thinking about this, but most Patron is overrated - although I have yet to try the Gran Patron.

Cazadores Reposado (theres a deer or something on the bottle) is very good, as is the Anejo Corazon. Herradura is a lowland tequila and the earthy quality of this one in particular is not something I'm a big fan of.

Hopefully you are getting a mix of blancos, reposados and anjeos. Personal preference here: No chilling of anjeos or reposados. For my palate it ruins the smooth quality.

You might want to serve some palate cleansing sangrita (not sangria). Sangrita is a traditional mixture of tomato juice and citrus juices (there might be a little hot sauce in there too).

Have fun!

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

I abosutely love Corazon Reposado

tastes like you are sipping butterscotch

I think it is better than Don Julio by far but that is my opinion ... it is so smooth ..and the aroma is just lovely!

and it is very nice with sweet things ..even some chocolate .. as well as mild savory foods...nothing too heavy I think ...go with light flavored small bites with good tequilla...so you dont loose the character ...

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

If you're feeling ambitious, find this Tonala Anejo Suprema Reserva - my friends in SoCal call it the peyote tequilla. Four year aged in sherry and used bourbon oak barrels. You won't be disappointed.