• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Recommendation for College Get Together

bgut1

I'm embarrassed to admit that I am truly at a loss. A bunch of college buddies (about 4 guys in their 40's) are looking to get together after work on a Thursday night for dinner and drinks in the village/so ho (really anyplace downtown). They are looking for it all: fun and happening, comfortable, very good food (a few are foodies) and not too expensive. I'm also thinking about a bar after dinner (say maybe Pegu). Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

Spotted Pig? Close to Little Branch and Employees Only for cocktails. Fits all the requirements!

Freeman's? (excellent cocktails too)

Momofuku Ssam?

I ate at the bar at Morandi on a friday a couple of weeks ago and the bar area was packed when we left. I don't know if that counts as "fun and happening" but the food was pretty good too.

How to decide where to go for a cocktail downtown:

If you're in the East Village or LES, Death & Co. or M&H

If you're in the West Village, LB or EO.

If you're in the middle, Pegu.

what's the actual price range?

Daisy17 - thanks for the great suggestions. Nathan - as for price, although none was discussed, I would think $50-60/p.p. without drinks or gratuity.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

why not Otto? perfect for a few guys that might get a little racuous...and there's something for everyone on the menu. then head over to Pegu Club or Little Branch (both are just a few blocks away).

and that'd be in the $50-60 range apiece with plenty of wine...leaving some wallet room for cocktails after.

or maybe E.U. or Ssam Bar followed by PDT or Death & Co.?

why not Otto?  perfect for a few guys that might get a little racuous...and there's something for everyone on the menu.  then head over to Pegu Club or Little Branch (both are just a few blocks away).

and that'd be in the $50-60 range apiece with plenty of wine...leaving some wallet room for cocktails after.

or maybe E.U. or Ssam Bar followed by PDT or Death & Co.?

Okay - I took a look at the menus at Otto, EU and Spotted Pig. Of the three Spotted Pig looks the best. The pizza and pasta at Otto sound a little too simplistic to me ... I guess its just not my thing. I also looked at the Little Owl but I doubt I can get a reservation. Any thoughts on Prune or Landmarc? I'd also consider Balthazar but a number of us have already been and want to try something new. Sorry for being all over the place but I guess what I'm looking for may not exist.

Otto's not simplistic at all.

You're going to be waiting a long time for a table at the Spotted Pig...I doubt you want that.

if you think Otto looks boring you'll really be bored by Landmarc. haven't been to Prune for dinner.

There is likely to be a wait at Spotted Pig, but it can be a fun wait. Both the downstairs and upstairs bars are fully entertaining. It's definitely a hip spot with solid food.

Little Owl is always booked.

Prune puts out fantastic food, but I wouldn't put it in the fun/guys night out category. It's tiny and therefore on the more sedate side. Doesn't mean you shouldn't go.

For a place with a little more energy - a fairly easy reservation to come by - you might consider Chinatown Brasserie. It's not amazing by any stretch, but it's satisfying, and not crazy expensive. Very close to all the cocktail places also.

I just thought of another place I like to go to with a group of friends - Parea, in Flatiron. The chef just left and I haven't been since, but the food used to be very well prepared, and it's got a good vibe as well. More upscale but not expensive, lots of dishes made to share.

Did you check out Morandi's menu? I really enjoyed my last meal there.

There is likely to be a wait at Spotted Pig, but it can be a fun wait.  Both the downstairs and upstairs bars are fully entertaining.  It's definitely a hip spot with solid food.

Little Owl is always booked.

Prune puts out fantastic food, but I wouldn't put it in the fun/guys night out category.  It's tiny and therefore on the more sedate side.  Doesn't mean you shouldn't go.

For a place with a little more energy - a fairly easy reservation to come by - you might consider Chinatown Brasserie.  It's not amazing by any stretch, but it's satisfying, and not crazy expensive.  Very close to all the cocktail places also.

I just thought of another place I like to go to with a group of friends - Parea, in Flatiron.  The chef just left and I haven't been since, but the food used to be very well prepared, and it's got a good vibe as well.  More upscale but not expensive, lots of dishes made to share.

Did you check out Morandi's menu?  I really enjoyed my last meal there.

5 guys means a six-top. there's essentially two of those at the Spotted Pig...the wait could easily be hours...if they seat them at all. heck, I was there at midnight last night and there was still a long wait for two-tops.

Otto's not simplistic at all. 

You're going to be waiting a long time for a table at the Spotted Pig...I doubt you want that.

if you think Otto looks boring you'll really be bored by Landmarc.  haven't been to Prune for dinner.

Nathan - I guess I'm speaking out of ignorance, however a review of Otto's menu shows primarily pizzas and pastas while Landmarc looks to have more french bistro oriented food. I guess its a matter of preference. To me I'm more interested in the latter. I didn't mean to imply that one was better than the other. I shouldn't have used the word simplistic as both can be seen as being so. Sometimes simply prepared food can be fantastic ala Craft.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

I'd advise a look at the Otto thread here on egullet.

edit: to be precise the 2004-6 thread is the one you want:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...ed&pid=1424341#

edit2: put it this way...at least half the time I eat there I order neither a pizza nor a pasta (though the pizza is one of exactly two Lazio style places on the east coast to the best of my knowledge).

Edited by Nathan (log)

How much is the wait coming into play here? Because at Spotted Pig, Landmarc or Momofuku Ssam, you could definitely be waiting an hour or far more (as Nathan points out). Chinatown Brasserie, Hearth or Blue Hill take reservations. CB has great dim sum. Hearth and Blue hill speak for themselves. If you can stretch the budget a bit, you might consider Strip House.

You may well prefer french bistro over Italian, but I don't really think simplicity comes into play in that discussion. I know you corrected your statement about the food being simple, but I just wanted to address it from a menu perspective. To call the pizza and pasta at Otto simplistic is simply absurd. I'm not sure if you took a close look at the menu, but I'd be shocked if your corner pizza shop is selling pizza with lardo or even clams. However, where Otto really shines is with the antipasti and the ingredient quality. It's not my favorite pizza in the city, but as a restaurant the food is a lot more exciting and innovative than Landmarc (which is not to say that it's hugely innovative but it is not readily available elsewhere in NY). There's nothing being served at Landmarc (aside from the blood sausage) that I can't make myself for dinner with basic ingredients. Of course, if you like Pastis as an option then Landmarc is definitely a step up.

Momofuku ssam is definitely the most innovative restaurant that's been mentioned in this thread.

How much is the wait coming into play here?  Because at Spotted Pig, Landmarc or Momofuku Ssam, you could definitely be waiting an hour or far more (as Nathan points out).  Chinatown Brasserie, Hearth or Blue Hill take reservations.  CB has great dim sum.  Hearth and Blue hill speak for themselves.  If you can stretch the budget a bit, you might consider Strip House. 

You may well prefer french bistro over Italian, but I don't really think simplicity comes into play in that discussion.  I know you corrected your statement about the food being simple, but I just wanted to address it from a menu perspective.  To call the pizza and pasta at Otto simplistic is simply absurd.  I'm not sure if you took a close look at the menu, but I'd be shocked if your corner pizza shop is selling pizza with lardo or even clams.  However, where Otto really shines is with the antipasti and the ingredient quality.  It's not my favorite pizza in the city, but as a restaurant the food is a lot more exciting and innovative than Landmarc (which is not to say that it's hugely innovative but it is not readily available elsewhere in NY).  There's nothing being served at Landmarc (aside from the blood sausage) that I can't make myself for dinner with basic ingredients.  Of course, if you like Pastis as an option then Landmarc is definitely a step up.

Momofuku ssam is definitely the most innovative restaurant that's been mentioned in this thread.

Jessika - As I noted before, it is a matter of preference. While I enjoy Italian food, I don't usually go out of my way to eat it out. For me, I would rather eat french bistro fare than Italian. Again this is a matter of personal preference. Don't get me wrong, while a meal at Babbo and Del Posto might definitely do it for me, pizza or pasta no matter how good is not what I'm interested in (topping or no toppings). In fact if I had my drothers I would rather go to Una Pizza Neopolitana or Di Fara's for a pizza fix. But again its not my idea of a night out especially for a trip into the city. I didn't mean to offend the fans of Otto or Mr. Batali by my comments. BTW, I did take a closer look at the menu and did note the ingredients used on the pies. That being said it is STILL pizza. To some a nice plate of choucroute is just hot dogs with sauerkraut. It's all a matter of perspective as well as likes and dislikes.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

You'll be waiting forever at Momo Ssam too, though, especially since the bo ssam has become nigh-impossible to reserve on short notice. If you do that one, make sure to put your name on the list and go for drinks *before*, not after; Blue Owl is right across the street and a purveyor of some fine beverages.

Landmarc *does* take reservations for parties of 5 or more, so I'd recommend that, especially since you indicated your preference for bistro food. The Spotted Pig is, IMHO, a miserable, unforgiving eatery with food of insufficient brilliance to justify the crowds, waits, and uncomfortable seating (mainly because no food below the four-star level could really justify this!), unless you're dining LATE or at an odd hour (say, 4pm).

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

How much is the wait coming into play here?  Because at Spotted Pig, Landmarc or Momofuku Ssam, you could definitely be waiting an hour or far more (as Nathan points out).  Chinatown Brasserie, Hearth or Blue Hill take reservations.  CB has great dim sum.  Hearth and Blue hill speak for themselves.  If you can stretch the budget a bit, you might consider Strip House. 

You may well prefer french bistro over Italian, but I don't really think simplicity comes into play in that discussion.  I know you corrected your statement about the food being simple, but I just wanted to address it from a menu perspective.  To call the pizza and pasta at Otto simplistic is simply absurd.  I'm not sure if you took a close look at the menu, but I'd be shocked if your corner pizza shop is selling pizza with lardo or even clams.  However, where Otto really shines is with the antipasti and the ingredient quality.  It's not my favorite pizza in the city, but as a restaurant the food is a lot more exciting and innovative than Landmarc (which is not to say that it's hugely innovative but it is not readily available elsewhere in NY).  There's nothing being served at Landmarc (aside from the blood sausage) that I can't make myself for dinner with basic ingredients.  Of course, if you like Pastis as an option then Landmarc is definitely a step up.

Jessika - As I noted before, it is a matter of preference. While I enjoy Italian food, I don't usually go out of my way to eat it out. For me, I would rather eat french bistro fare than Italian. Again this is a matter of personal preference. Don't get me wrong, while a meal at Babbo and Del Posto might definitely do it for me, pizza or pasta no matter how good is not what I'm interested in (topping or no toppings). In fact if I had my drothers I would rather go to Una Pizza Neopolitana or Di Fara's for a pizza fix. But again its not my idea of a night out especially for a trip into the city. I didn't mean to offend the fans of Otto or Mr. Batali by my comments. BTW, I did take a closer look at the menu and did note the ingredients used on the pies. That being said it is STILL pizza. To some a nice plate of choucroute is just hot dogs with sauerkraut. It's all a matter of perspective as well as likes and dislikes.

good luck and report back!

with that said, I think you're misunderstanding Otto still.

A. its very possible to have a good meal without ordering either pizza or pasta there.

B. if you don't want to eat pasta when out...there's no point whatsoever in going to Babbo or Del Posto.

C. if you don't wait too long..Ssam Bar is definitely the way to go...

good luck and report back!

with that said, I think you're misunderstanding Otto still.

A. its very possible to have a good meal without ordering either pizza or pasta there.

B. if you don't want to eat pasta when out...there's no point whatsoever in going to Babbo or Del Posto.

C. if you don't wait too long..Ssam Bar is definitely the way to go...

Nathan - I thought you might want to know that after putting it up for a vote the choice of my friends was Otto with a stop at Pegu (or PDT) afterwards. So I guess after all, I will get to see what you and the others are talking about. Any recommendations?

Edited by bgut1 (log)

get a plate of carne...I think they'll do a sampler for you guys.

maybe some pesce as well.

order a bunch of contorini.

try the lardo pizza and whatever's the daily special.

olive oil gelato, ricotta gelato, olive oil gelato, olive oil gelato, olive oil gelato, olive oil gelato, olive oil gelato, olive oil gelato, olive oil gelato!

obviously, Italian wines from one of the best lists in the city are the way to go. maybe split a flight of house-infused grappa to finish....and then on to Pegu (unless it's a weekend...then don't go to Pegu!)

get a plate of carne...I think they'll do a sampler for you guys.

maybe some pesce as well.

order a bunch of contorini.

try the lardo pizza and whatever's the daily special.

olive oil gelato, ricotta gelato, olive oil gelato, olive oil gelato,  olive oil gelato, olive oil gelato,  olive oil gelato, olive oil gelato,  olive oil gelato!

obviously, Italian wines from one of the best lists in the city are the way to go.  maybe split a flight of house-infused grappa to finish....and then on to Pegu (unless it's a weekend...then don't go to Pegu!)

Nathan - Thanks for the recommendations. BTW, what are contorini? I don't see it on their menu online nor can I find anything about it through a Google search. Thanks.

they're calling them "vegetables" on the online menu:

especially recommend the: cauliflower, radishes and english peas with proscuitto.

get some cheeses as well.

First and foremost, I must apologize to Nathan. Otto was nothing like I had expected. In short, the food and the experience were excellent. What a place. It was packed, vibrant and "hip". We had a reservation for 6:45 PM and were quickly seated in a nice table toward the back of the restaurant. While I consider myself an educated wine drinker, I know very little about Italian wines and was somewhat overwhelmed by their extensive selection. The waitress sensing my hesitation called over the sommelier who helped choose a wine flight for our table, which in turn led to a more wine being ordered. I enjoyed the wines tremendously and appreciated the spot on recommendations of the steward. Having read the Otto posts on this board we ordered the following items: a plate of Carni, a plate of Fromaggi, figs Agrodolce (recommended by our waitress to go with the cheeses), and two pizzas (the guanciale and the quattro stagioni). The meats and the cheeses stole the show. While I enjoyed the pizzas, they just didn't blow me away. In fact, I enjoyed the quattro stagioni much more than the guanciale (none of which that I could find on the pizza). As other people have previously posted, the accompaniments to the cheeses were fabulous. I just couldn't get enough of the truffled honey. I know I'm going to crave some more of it very soon. One thing to note is the omission of a bread basket. I have to have a lot of bread to truly enjoy the cheeses and the meats. Here you’re presented with several packets of bread steaks and a few slices of nice and crusty country bread wrapped in paper. I had to request more bread and again was presented with more sticks and another package of bread. I would have appreciated a nice basket full instead. The figs were okay but to me seemed liked an acquired taste. They didn't add to the cheeses and were the only item not finished on the table. We next moved to dessert and ordered a dish of olive oil gelato, a black and white and the butterscotch and banana coppetta. All were amazing!!! I have to admit being a skeptic about the olive oil gelato but it was the best gelato I've ever had. All the above being said, I will definitely return when I'm looking for a place to nosh and drink with friends. Is Otto a place to go for a full and complete meal? To me I would answer no however I don't think that's the concept the owners were looking for. Again much thanks to Nathan and the rest of you for the recommendation. BTW, we did follow Otto with a nice walk to Pegu and enjoyed several drinks there as well.

Edited by bgut1 (log)