• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marinated peaches

thebaker

Does anyone have any suggestions for marinated peaches,

My boss just gave me a case of peaches and hinted he would like marinated peaches over vanilla ice cream for next week.

thanks

I bake there for I am....

Make food ... not war

Peel the peaches and stew (poach) them in a simple syrup laced with a vanilla bean. You could reduce the syrup a little and then store the peaches in the syrup. You might even want to add some white wine and poach them in that....

dang, lost the first draft of that. anyway: peel and slice the peaches into a zip-lock freezer bag. add a little sugar and some white wine. add a flavoring: i used cinnamon in one test and rose geranium in another--use very little (1/2 teaspoon rose geranium leaves for 1 1/2 pounds peaches was almost too much and 1/2 of a 3-inch stick of cinnamon would be about right). bring a large pot of water to 140-150 degrees and set it up to maintain that temp. lower the peach bag into the water bath and cook about 45 minutes. the color, texture and flavor of the peaches don't change that much, but the flavor of the spicing really penetrates the fruit. it's like a home version of sous-vide (though it was taught to me by josiah citrin, chef at melisse here in la).

dang, lost the first draft of that. anyway: peel and slice the peaches into a zip-lock freezer bag. add a little sugar and some white wine. add a flavoring: i used cinnamon in one test and rose geranium in another--use very little (1/2 teaspoon rose geranium leaves for 1 1/2 pounds peaches was almost too much and 1/2 of a 3-inch stick of cinnamon would be about right). bring a large pot of water to 140-150 degrees and set it up to maintain that temp. lower the peach bag into the water bath and cook about 45 minutes. the color, texture and flavor of the peaches don't change that much, but the flavor of the spicing really penetrates the fruit. it's like a home version of sous-vide (though it was taught to me by josiah citrin, chef at melisse here in la).

You could do the sous vide thing with a crockpot set on the low setting. I did this with pears in roiboos tea for the eG Supreme pastry and baking challenge. Click here.

Amaretto goes exceedingly well with peaches. I have enjoyed something like a chunky peach 'jam' (visually reminiscent but not so much in flavor - not nearly as sweet or jellied) with amaretto that was simply divine. Lovely with vanilla ice cream.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

I'd take brandy over white wine any day.

yes yes

brandy, wine, peaches....Sangria

sorry :raz:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

brandy, wine, peaches....Sangria

Now I'm jonesing for a tall glass of homemade white sangria. What better way to have fruit salad than steeped in alcohol? :biggrin:

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large