• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rhubarb - cooked

stscam

To me, rhubarb is, like anchovies, one of those things people either love or hate - black and white, no middle ground. Folks up here in Glacier Country seem to love the stuff, and we strive to fill their cravings.

We make a variety of sweet products with rhubarb, but when we cook it, it turns an unappetizing brown.

Anybody know of a way to keep the stuff from going brown? Would blanching help? Any other thoughts?

Cheers,

Steve Smith

Glacier Country

Whenever I cook with rhubarb in a sweet recipe, I always throw in a good few raspberries, to give it back that vivid red colour. Plus, it adds a nice flavour and it's a pretty safe bet that, if you like rhubarb, you probably like raspberries.

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Some raspberry jelly crystals added will help keep your rhubarb a better colour. Also aids setting if the rhubarb is in a pie or similar.

Young forced rhubarb certainly has the best colour and some other varieties vary from red to an ugly brown. No amount of jello is gonna help the brown type but it sure tastes good. :smile:

i think we need to ask "chufi" what her secret is...she loves rhubarb and it always looks beautiful when she eats it!

at any rate, this is what we always did when we used it at work:

1) clean rhubarb and cut into desired size pieces

2) bring simple syrup, with a vanilla bean and maybe an orange cut in half thrown in, up to a boil

3) turn off heat

4) throw rhubarb in and allow to steep just until barely tender (very quick if the rhubarb is cut small)

5) strain rhubarb out of syrup, reserving both

6) when both rhubarb and syrup are cool, put them back together and keep in fridge

7) use in recipe

We would use this for strawberry-rhubarb shortcakes and the like and would warm up the rhubarb to order. It wouldn't change color. You can also reduce the poaching liquid to add more color and flavor.

Rhubarb oven roasted is the way to go IMO. I normally do this if I want chunks of the fruit, not a puree. Just place your cut chunks onto an oiled ovenproof dish with low sides, sprinkle with a little caster sugar and put into oven on med heat. They will hold shape and the colour is better also.