• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crab/oyster shack on Oregon Coast

Hi

Next Sunday I'm planning to visit the Oregon Coast with my husband and 4-month-old son for the day. We are driving from Portland and flexible on where exactly we go on the coast--I hear it's all beautiful--but want to end up at a great place for a late lunch or early dinner where we can enjoy some crab and oysters. We prefer some place casual, family-friendly since we have the little one. We'll be returning to Portland that evening, so the shorter the distance the better also.

Any recommendations?? Is Pacific Oyster in Bay City the best choice? Thanks so much.

Sara

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Do they have crab too?

I was at Pacific Oyster a couple of weeks ago.  Very good oysters, but one of the schuckers was not very good.  Also, they were out of Kumotos.  Still recommended-- it was that good.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

probably. while you can get crabs year 'round, they are somewhat seasonal, and that season is winter.

that being said, I've had dungies in the middle of summer and they were quite fine.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Hi Sara, you may want to stop at Bell Bouy in Seaside, it is a fish market that sells all kinds of great seafood. We have been enjoying their crab and prawns cocktails here. Really good, fresh seafood here.

My husband caught a very nice crab out in the ocean in Seaside that we enjoyed as crab melts that afternoon with a glass of Oregon Viognier, nothing better than this! In Cannon Beach, check out Ecola Seafood Market, they also have a nice variety of crab, prawn and shrimp cocktails. It is also Razor Clam season right now, you may want to give these a try also when you're on the Oregon Coast!

Have a great time! If you happen to go to Astoria, about 30 minutes from Cannon Beach, they hold the Astoria Sunday Market there where I love to sample their oysters and clam linguine. It runs along 12th Street from 10-2 every Sunday.

Hi

Thank you. As it turned out, we went to the Seaside Aquarium with my infant son (which I don't recommend--it's dank/dark/dirty) and then ended up in Cannon Beach at Ecola. We had the crab special--whole crab, cup of chowder, slaw. It was pretty good. Only disappointment was a lack of oysters on the half shell. But other than that, a good lunch.

-- William Grimes

Did you eat anywhere else in Cannon Beach? We had an amazing meal at the Stephanie Inn a few nights ago. I should post a full review here, huh? If you're ever looking for a fine dining experience on the coast, this is THE place. Four wonderful courses for $45/pp in a very elegant and upscale dining room. :)

No, as we had my 4 month old son with us, we didn't attempt it.

-- William Grimes

I know it's too late, but if ever you get to the coast again, get thee to Jetty Fishery on Nehalem Bay, a few miles south of Manzanita. Their specialty is live crab and oysters, which sit waiting in very clean, outdoor tanks of water. On weekends, Rico will throw huge Pacific oysters on the outdoor grill and serve them with "crab butter." Kelly, the crab man, will boil huge dungeness crab for you and serve them in a metal pan with lemon and hot sauce at a picnic table next to a roaring fire (this is all out of doors) where all manner of colorful locals gather to drink beer and eat seafood. This place renewed my waning faith in the Oregon Coast food scene.

http://www.jettyfishery.com/jetty%20fishery%20info.htm

No, as we had my 4 month old son with us, we didn't attempt it.

Hey Sara,

Thanks for launching this topic. The info is coming in real handy. In October my wife and I will be flying to SFO and then begin a drive up the coast starting at Bookings Harbor up to Astoria. We'll be spending about two days on the coast and then we plan to loop back through the Willamette wine region while using Portland as base camp. We’re continuing along the Columbia and up the Cascades and will be hanging out in Seattle for a few days before flying outta there. So keep the recommendations coming gang.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press

there's a great shack in Bandon... you can rent crab pots and try to catch some yourself or grab a pint of beer and get some already cooked.... yumsters. great spot. Go into the old port area.

also, if you go to Newport there are a thousand places for seafood. I prefer the Rogue Microbrew for obvious reasons... they al;so have killer fish and chips

"Bacchus has drowned

more men then Neptune"

Thomas Fuller

there's a great shack in Bandon...  you can rent crab pots and try to catch some yourself or grab a pint of beer and get some already cooked.... yumsters. great spot.  Go into the old port area.

also, if you go to Newport there are a thousand places for seafood.  I prefer the Rogue Microbrew for obvious reasons... they al;so have killer fish and chips

Thanks grimrod! May be a possibility for lunch. We'restaying in Florence that night so I'm planning about 5 meals on 101 for two days (one of thejoints is B&B). But I'm thinking a lot of oyster snacks along the way. Maybe we'll look at Newport for dinner.

Jim Tarantino

Ten Speed Press

• 4 weeks later...

This information probably comes a bit too late now, but in case someone's looking for an interesting place to eat along the Coast in the future, well, here it is.

We just got back from the Coast ourselves yesterday. Like everyone, we were looking for great seafood and chowder shacks. It was my 30th birthday, and I had this vision of myself slurping massive bowls of clam chowder to celebrate.

On the first night, our Google Map directions sent us the wrong way and had us arrive at our campsite at Nehalem Bay after sunset. The first priority was to set up our tent while we still could, then we set out to look for a place to eat, any place, really.

We first arrived at the Seafood Shack in Wheeler and were kindly informed that the restaurant was closed. The hostess did point us to a place in Rockaway Beach that stays open until midnight. Burgers and pizzas, she said. Better than nothing, we thought.

So we arrived at a place called the Foghorn Sports Bar and Grill in Rockaway Beach. It was a smoking lounge + bar with lottery machines, pool tables and illicit couples. Better than nothing, we thought. We were handed what was essentially a bar menu, with burgers and beers, and something called a Broaster Chicken with Jo Jos. Jo Jos, as I was reminded soon afterwards, were large wedges of potato, dredged in flour, seasoned and fried. I had them once in high school. Our friendly server enthusiastically recommended the Broaster Chicken, claiming they're the best she's ever eaten and the best on the coast. Thinking that she was boasting about their roasted chicken, my partner and placed an order of it, along with a cheeseburger and two pints of beer.

What showed up was a massive plate of fried chicken from half a chicken and Jo Jos cut from two whole Idaho potatoes. The quantity was impressive, if nothing else. When in Rome, I thought. We split the dish, took a bite each, and were pleasantly surprised by the flavour and texture. Crispy on the outside, juicy and tender on the inside. Nicely seasoned, and a whole lotta fried goodness. Our cheeseburger came next, and again, it was skillfully executed. Nothing fancy, mind you, just a plain, soft bun with mayo, lettuce and tomato, but the hamburger patty was perfectly cooked. We looked at the menu again, and it read "1/3 pound freshly ground beef chuck". It tasted exactly like that. Juicy and meaty.

We stumbled out of the place at midnight, smelling like tobacco and booze, very well served and well fed.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Sara,

Thanks for launching this topic. The info is coming in real handy. In October my wife and I will be flying to SFO and then begin a drive up the coast starting at Bookings Harbor up to Astoria. We'll be spending about two days on the coast and then we plan to loop back through the Willamette wine region while using Portland as base camp. We’re continuing along the Columbia and up the Cascades and will be hanging out in Seattle for a few days before flying outta there.  So keep the recommendations coming gang.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Ughh! Two days not enough! Since you're starting in Brookings, check out Brandy Peak Distillery if you're into spirits.

http://www.brandypeak.com/

In Newport, just south of the bridge on the west side of 101 is a pretty good seafood house/shack with a big crab cooker out front. Sorry, but the name escapes me at this time. In Lincoln City there's Barnacle Bill's and Mr Bill's Village Smoke House for tasty smoked seafood treats. It's been a while, but I enjoyed the Bay House. And a friend highly recommends The Blackfish Cafe.

http://www.oregoncoast.org/pages/dining.html

Cannon Beach is home to two related brew pubs. Warren House Pub in the south end of town offers up some tasty smoked seafood. I also always stop in at Ecola Seafoods.

I'd also have to recommend stopping off at McMenamins' Edgefield. Truly unique.

http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc=3

Hey Sara,

Thanks for launching this topic. The info is coming in real handy. In October my wife and I will be flying to SFO and then begin a drive up the coast starting at Bookings Harbor up to Astoria. We'll be spending about two days on the coast and then we plan to loop back through the Willamette wine region while using Portland as base camp. We’re continuing along the Columbia and up the Cascades and will be hanging out in Seattle for a few days before flying outta there.  So keep the recommendations coming gang.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Ughh! Two days not enough! Since you're starting in Brookings, check out Brandy Peak Distillery if you're into spirits.

http://www.brandypeak.com/

In Newport, just south of the bridge on the west side of 101 is a pretty good seafood house/shack with a big crab cooker out front. Sorry, but the name escapes me at this time. In Lincoln City there's Barnacle Bill's and Mr Bill's Village Smoke House for tasty smoked seafood treats. It's been a while, but I enjoyed the Bay House. And a friend highly recommends The Blackfish Cafe.

http://www.oregoncoast.org/pages/dining.html

Cannon Beach is home to two related brew pubs. Warren House Pub in the south end of town offers up some tasty smoked seafood. I also always stop in at Ecola Seafoods.

I'd also have to recommend stopping off at McMenamins' Edgefield. Truly unique.

http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc=3

Great stuff, thanks for the tip on the distillery. I wish we had more than two days but we're doing a lot milage. We have three major parts of the trip over nine days: The Oregon Coast, Portland-Willamette, and Seattle. Any one of those parts could be worth a week. Thanks again , Mr. Bill.

Jim

Jim Tarantino

Ten Speed Press

I am headed out to Manzanita next weekend. There will be a group of about 5 to 7 women, and one newborn (Book Club goes to the Beach!). I might be the only food obsessed person in the group. But nonetheless, this thread gets me in the right frame of mind.

Anywhere in particular that I should know about in Manzanita, and thereabouts? Good coffee recommendations would be appreciated?

I am going to see if I can get myself and companions to Jetty Fishery.

Sometimes it is quite treacherous traveling with the non-food obsessed. My dh never fails to make fun of me for "the list" I bring on most trips - the list which almost never fails to lead us to great food.

edited for the usual brainlessness

Edited by crouching tyler (log)

Robin Tyler McWaters

You may want to consider the Nehalem River Inn for dinner, a short drive with beautiful scenery. Also, in Cannon Beach, this past Sat. night we had a very good dinner Newman's @ 988. Crab cakes, Caprese Salad, Lamb Shank and a rich chocolate cake for dessert, very good service. The dining room is small, so make reservations in advance as they book up quick on weekends. :)

We took a day trip from Seaside last week over the Astoria-Megler bridge up the WA peninsula. Had a great lunch at 42 Street Cafe in Seaview, love the oysters here! We went all the way up to Oysterville which is such a quiet and serene place, well-known for their oysters. They have a little osyter shack there that sells oysters and all kinds of other goodies. :)