• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DFW: F-M 1410

orenlund

All,

I just ate the last of my Mariani Orchards Bing Cherries from F-M 1410 and I realized that I haven't seen any mention of the store on eGullet. F-M stands for Farm to Market, and 1410 refers to the address- 1410 N. Fitzhugh.

The hours can be a bit squirelly, but as long as you get there sometime from 10-4 on the weekdays, you'll find the best source of amazing mushrooms, specialty greens and veggies, fruits... that I've found in Texas. Not a huge selection, but each thing will be a "best in class" pick.

This is the same produce that all the top restaurants are using. Much of it is locally grown with direction from Tom Spicer, local purveyor of fine produce. If you get to the store (two doors over from Jimmy's) while Tom is there, you might just get a lesson in "the New Farmer's Market Paradigm."

There is stuff that isn't local too, like the Mariani Orchards stone fruits that will change your life.

Next time you stop by Jimmy's (or anytime) poke your head into F-M 1410, gaze at the mushroom "bar" (a deli counter filled with lobster mushrooms, pioppinis, chantrelles, morels, porcini...), talk to Tom, buy some greens. You will not be disappointed.

For the record, I do not, and have never worked for Tom Spicer or F-M 1410. I'm just really excited about Dallas foodies getting a chance to (somewhat) conveniently buy real produce. The kind of stuff that the Dallas Farmers Market, Central Market, and Whole Foods promised, but rarely deliver.

Enjoy,

Oren

It's really a small storefront, not a market. He told me today normal business hours, incl. Saturday. Very good produce -- excellent Rainier cherries, Bing cherries, corn, asparagus, mushrooms....

Thanks for sharing this new outlet with everyone.

hm$

This place is a FIND. As Oren said, it's the sort of place other major cities seem to have come into but has been too long absent from Dallas. Lots of the sort of produce that CM carried when it first opened but then stopped: wild arugula, wild asparagus. Relatively cheap porcini as well. Thanks again for clueing us in on it.

• 2 weeks later...
This place is a FIND.  As Oren said, it's the sort of place other major cities seem to have come into but has been too long absent from Dallas.  Lots of the sort of produce that CM carried when it first opened but then stopped:  wild arugula, wild asparagus.  Relatively cheap porcini as well.  Thanks again for clueing us in on it.

I'll agree and add my thanks. I enjoyed some morels from this place for dinner tonight. Spectacular. Excellent service, and the selection was, to me at least, surprisingly large. I'll be back.

Tim

I shopped there today and made the most amazing heirloom tomato salad with wild arugula and mushroom soup with chanterelles and mousserons. I almost cried because I couldn't finish the tomato salad tonight, it was so good. I am saving the rest of those beauties for breakfast.

Tomorrow it's corn and golden tomato salad.

I met Tom, and though I can't remember the name of the man who assisted me, he was incredibly helpful and I can't remember the last time I had one on one service with selecting produce. I sure am glad they are open Saturdays so I can shop there when school starts again.

The storefront is very easy to miss. If you are coming from 75, the store is on the left just before Jimmy's. Jimmy's is another terrific shop for any Italian ingredients you might need. Plus they have some produce that you FM 1040 might not have. I picked up mediterranean cucumber.

The whole experience reminded me of growing up in San Francisco and going from small store to small store to get the groceries.

Melissa Bowman

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the big development to watch there is that they've cleared the land behind the building to put in their own garden. I haven't been down there as much the past few months. Last time I went they had leek sprouts that were an interesting boost to some pizza I made. I do need to head down once fall gets into full swing because his fresh mushrooms supply is second to none in this city.