• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual culinary stuff you inherited

Fat Guy

From my grandmother, I received a set of six silver grapefruit spoons, complete with grapefruit motif handles.

gallery_47119_4794_25471.jpg

And from my grandfather, a yellow duck cookie jar. It's extra-special for me because he and I used to eat Entemann's chocolate chip cookies for breakfast before everyone else was up.

gallery_47119_4794_95830.jpg

I'm jealous of the swordpicks. Those are AWESOME!

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

All sorts of stuff have been passed down. I guess the thing I use most is my great grandmother's meat grinder. It was originally purchased upon arrival in America from Poland around 1910. Somehow, the act of clamping it to the counter and the process of feeding, cranking and pulling off various sausages is more rewarding than using the KitchenAid attachment. The "fresh" kielbasa" for Easter is ALWAYS made on that old grinder.

My other Grandmother left a set of old pastry bag attachements and an old food mill. Everything always seems better when I use those.

I inherited this two tiered knife set that belonged to my Grandparents. I first remember seeing it in their Bronx apartment in the 50's. As a kid I tried to use the steel on the slicer when no one was looking and I screwed up the edge. The blade still bears the scratches I put on it back then. The edge has since been restored.

gallery_38003_2183_459155.jpg

Made in New Jersey. They hold an edge pretty well and I still use them sometimes, especially at Thanksgiving. I have never found a use for the monster in the middle. It has an edge on the top of the blade like a cleaver. As far as I can tell its not good for much but looks mean.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.