• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Egg whites and egg yolks

takadi

Okay, I have a specific concern, but this thread can be a general discussion about egg whites/yolks...

When you separate egg white and egg yolks for a certain recipe, what do you do with the extra yolk or white? Throw it away? Store it? Use it for another recipe?

Is there a special way you have to store separated egg whites or yolks?

Eggs whites can be forzen in an ice cube tray, then bagged.

Egg whites are great for your skin, smear it on, let dry then wash.

Dogs like eggs too.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Eggs whites can be forzen in an ice cube tray, then bagged.

Dogs like eggs too.

tracey

You can add egg white or yolk to just about any yeast bread. Or make as egg wash.

SB (and yes, dogs like eggs :smile: )

I do that sometimes!!! It makes your skin so tight and firm...although I don't really need it, because I'm only 23 :raz:

I like to take egg yolks and mix them into hot rice or mix them in with some natto. I am also sure that if you have some extra egg yolks it would be good to heat them gently over some boiling water - (double boiler) and dip your french fries into them.

There is something amazing about dipping hot greasy french fries into warm egg yolks

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

i make more things that use yolks than whites. so i started freezing the whites in ziplock bags. when i accumulate enough, i'll find an excuse to use them (angel food? mousse? merengue?).

if you typically use more whites than yolks, that's a bit more problematic ... i'm not aware of a good way to store yolks.

Notes from the underbelly